Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2011 4:18:14 AM EDT
I have a Bushy 14.5 M4gery with permanently attached flash hider.
The question I have is whether or not to go with the H or H2 buffer?

Can anyone with experience with a similiar setup give me their opinions?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:24:22 AM EDT
[#1]
With either buffer you are very likely to be WAY over-gassed, which will most likely lead to the following issues, especially how large BFI gas ports tend to run:

––Increased bolt speed/premature bolt unlock
––Increased chamber and receiver area fouling
––Increased cyclic rate on Auto
––Increased wear on weapon components
––Increased recoil due to increased bolt carrier group/buffer impact on the rear of the receiver extension
––Increased propellant gasses directed to to the shooter's face
––Premature weapon failure during suppressed use

You need to be able to tune the amount gas cycling the action either via the use of an adjustable gas block or tuning your barrel length/gas port size to a particular load and suppressor.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:33:29 AM EDT
[#2]
In the interest of optimizing performance, and not making my rifles work any harder than they need to, I always employ some means of slowing down the bolt, unless it causes cycling problems.  The goal for me is to get a pile of brass at about 4:00 when shooting prone.  An overgassed gun will have the extractor start to lose control of the fired brass and results in a wider scattering of the empties.

Typically I throw in a heavier buffer, but I sometimes use an adjustable gas tube.  For example, I have a Bushmaster Superlite barrel that is overgassed to begin with, then I attached a screw on suppressor, which I leave on the rifle.  The adjustable tube allows me to get it dialed in right where I want it to be.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:06:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one and I run the standard buffer. It runs fine and it never mis feeded.

When you get it, then shoot it to see how yours runs.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:09:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have one and I run the standard buffer. It runs fine and it never mis feeded.

When you get it, then shoot it to see how yours runs.

Ive already run the can on my Bushy Dissipator and my M4gery and the M4gery runs hard now. Thats what prompted the question about the buffer weight.

Still no closer to working out which buffer I should go with.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're not gonna tune the gas.....try one of Slash's buffers.....www.heavybuffers.com.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top