Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/16/2019 11:30:03 AM EDT
I have a set of BNVD's (Green) that I absolutely love but I am considering giving these to my wife and me upgrading to PVS-15 or a PVS-31.

The BNVD's that I have do not have a gain on them. Mine uses a single AA battery for power.

What differences can I expect on the PVS-15 & PVS-31 compared to my BNVD's. Mounts different? Tubes different? Focusing abilities different?

Trying to figure out if the price from the BNVD conpared to the PVS-15/31 is worth the upgrade.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 11:36:09 AM EDT
[#1]
In.  Once someone that has the info to answer, please also identify the tubes used in each and contrast these as well.

OP- I have nothing constructive to add, other than I’ve read comments that make me believe that there are different tubes in the 15 (not necessarily better or worse) versus the PVs-14 and BNVD
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 2:22:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Well right off the bat I can tell you going to 15s your upgrade would be the housing itself. PVS-15s also use MX-10160 format tubes. (No adjustable gain)

PVS-31s though would offer you a whole laundry list of upgrades from tube function to housing, ones that I don't feel fully qualified to explain. but that does include a single gain adjustment for both tubes.

The main downside to 31s over 15s is they are going to cost you double what a set of 15s will.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 3:10:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 3:27:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow, thanks for the detailed reply @TNVC_Augee .

I'm thinking after reading that, I may just give these to my wife so she can enjoy all IR stuff and I'll just get a new set of BNVD's for myself maybe in WP.

I'm just not seeing the reason to do 15s/31s now. I'm happy with mine.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 3:34:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 3:48:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You’re talking about two separate things:

Housing and tubes.

Tubes—your BNVDs can always be upgraded to newer tubes to give you better performance, any MX-10160 format tube will work just fine.

According to the manufacturer, the PVS-15 and the PVS-31 use non-standard tubes that have different specs than the standard 10160 or 11769 tubes and are not suggested to be used in other models. At the same time, there are folks who have done tube swaps and work outside of the manufacturer’s recommendations, so take that for what it is. That being said, as noted, in broad terms, the PVS-15 takes an 10160 format tube, while the PVS-31 is an 11769 format tube.

Most NVD BNVDs will have dovetail interfaces, so if you have a dovetail interface already, they will be able to use the same mounts as the PVS-15 and 31s, though if you have a bayonet mount version of the BNVD, you will need to swap mounts as well.

Optics are slightly different on all three but all optimized for ground use. Not saying there’s no difference, but most users will not likely notice much significant difference, the tube quality is still much more important here.

PVS-15s and PVS-31s can be had in several grades of tubes, you’ll find more available variety in PVS-15s, PVS-31s, it’s a much smaller list of likely candidates, but just be aware, not every “WP PVS-31A” (e.g.,) is identical, they’re built to different performance levels based on the customer/customer requested specs. State/local LE, military/federal, SOF, SMU all have different tube standards, and PVS-31s can come in green, white, filmed, unfilmed, etc.

From a performance standpoint, knowing what tubes you’re getting is the most important factor.

From a housing/human engineering/logistics standpoint:

BNVD is honestly probably the most durable of the models you’re inquiring about, and the easiest to maintain. Not only is it a “purely commercial” system that does not and never had restrictions on it, but it uses common and standard parts, and is supported by a commercial manufacturer.

The PVS-15 is honestly a dying system, it was never cheap or easy to maintain, and while there’s been a recent glut of PVS-15s and components as more and more folks transition to the PVS-31 family or the 1531s, but this will eventually dry up. A similar trend occurred a little while back with PVS-23s, though their saturation was never as high as the PVS-15, so it was a slightly smaller run on parts and components. The PVS-15 also has by far the smallest range of articulation between the three if that is important to you.

The PVS-31 will be the lightest of the three by a decent margin, but will be the most expensive/difficult to maintain, and hinge breakages are fairly common—though to be fair, most of the folks currently using them are LE/military who put a beating on their gear anyways, and they broke PVS-15s pretty regularly, too.

With the PVS-31 you’ll get variable gain and external battery capability, but you’ll lose onboard IR illumination and focusable diopters.

Of the two, the bigger “problem” is the diopter focus—if you’ve ever tweaked the eyepiece lenses of your goggles—you can’t do that with the 31s, meaning there’s a limit to how clear you can make the image. L3 does offer diopter replacement kits at $2,000-ish a pop, but they’re obviously a pretty coarse adjustment since they’re fixed values. A nice goggle for sure, but built to some very specific requirements that may not match everybody’s needs.

Of the three, IMHO, your best value would probably be to upgrade the tubes in your current BNVD, though if you really wanted to roll your current ones over, you could always just buy a new set of BNVDs, maybe the SG model if you wanted to try out the manual gain (not really my preference on binos, but that’s a different conversation)—or, if you wanted to try a new housing as well, I would recommend you look into the DTNVGs as well, since you seem pretty sold on articulating-style goggles.

~Augee
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 3:54:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't think that I'd like a single gain unit. I would do a dual gain or no gain like I currently have. Diopter adjustment is a must for me.

I do like green but for some reason WP just gets my attention. I'm just afraid that after its paid for that I may not like WP color.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 4:07:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't think that I'd like a single gain unit. I would do a dual gain or no gain like I currently have. Diopter adjustment is a must for me.

I do like green but for some reason WP just gets my attention. I'm just afraid that after its paid for that I may not like WP color.
View Quote
That's the first time I've ever heard somebody say that.

Any particular reason? Single adjustment is far superior IMO. Unless you have dissimilar eye issues or something?
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 4:47:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm thinking after reading that, I may just give these to my wife so she can enjoy all IR stuff and I'll just get a new set of BNVD's for myself maybe in WP.

View Quote
Night Vision Capable Wife...after an argument, I dunno about that one.

Treat Yo'Self instead with some GPNVG's instead of 2 BNVDs!
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 5:03:36 PM EDT
[#10]
If I read the above correctly, you said that the BNVDs were less fragile tha 15s. And some of the most durable articulating binos available? I only ask because I was told exact opposite the other day.  I don’t own either, so literally have no idea. It’s a serious question
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 5:43:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 6:35:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Any particular reason? Single adjustment is far superior IMO. Unless you have dissimilar eye issues or something?
View Quote
Single gain is to dim one eye correct? That is a feature that just doesn't interest me at all. When I tried a PVS-14, I didn't like the dark in one light in another. My eye kept trying to focus on the dark room even though I had the device on my non dominant eye. That's when I knew dual tube was a must.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 6:38:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Night Vision Capable Wife...after an argument, I dunno about that one.

Treat Yo'Self instead with some GPNVG's instead of 2 BNVDs!
View Quote
She and I love the Bnvd's. We're 20 years into our marriage, no issues. Panos are pretty neat technologically but not for me. Plus with 2 BNVD's we can each shoot in the dark, star gaze...etc.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 6:50:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You may or may not have been hearing someone discuss the PVS-31s, part of the issue:

BNVD is sort of like “AR-15,” because depending on context:

BNVD or BNVS is a generic acronym for “Binocular Night Vision Device/System.”

On the other hand, Night Vision Devices (formerly Depot) has marketed their main bino line using BNVD as the model name, just like RNVG or Sentinel.

Meanwhile, L3 also uses BNVD to refer to the PVS-31 family, as “AN/PVS-31” is technically a military designation, all L3 part numbers for the BNVD typically begin with “BNG,” and when you order them, you order “BNVD” on the PO.

Finally, FLIR also builds and markets a google that they too call the BNVD, available in both 40 and 51 degree models with Gen. 2 and 3 tubes.

If you were hearing someone discuss the durability differences between the PVS-15 and the BNVD, there’s a good chance they were referring to the L3 BNVD.

The NVD BNVDs are a very durable system and are machined from Delrin, the same material used in the Sentinel and MOD-3B for many of the components.

~Augee
View Quote
Thanks for the reply. I was specifically talking about NVD BNVD compared to the 15.  On a separate note, you mentioned flir. I never hear about anybody using their nv, or talking about it. Is that because it sucks? Or is there another reason?
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 6:56:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Single gain is to dim one eye correct? That is a feature that just doesn't interest me at all. When I tried a PVS-14, I didn't like the dark in one light in another. My eye kept trying to focus on the dark room even though I had the device on my non dominant eye. That's when I knew dual tube was a must.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Negative.

Single gain knob adjusts the gain on both tubes at the same time on the PVS-31. That's why its the cats PJ's.

1 knob per tube is pretty meh. 1 adjuster controlling both tubes = bueno.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 10:15:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Where would one look to get a legit 31 and what would be the price range?
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 12:35:52 AM EDT
[#17]
I own the Night Vision Devices (Depot) BNVD-SG. I also had dual PVS-14’s on a dual D14 mount (had as in I just sold one of them). The duals you have to use both gain knobs versus the BNVD-SG with the single knob that controls gain for both.
*edit to add: The dual gain BNVD would be the same as duals however I’m sure if they’re from NVD, they’d match the gain levels. Not 100% but that’d be the right way to do it.

The way NVD puts them together they use a programmable tool to set both tubes in the BNVD to have the same gain levels so they go up and down together without one being brighter/dimmer than the other.

I personally like having gain control. For me it works great on really dark nights when I’m in the boonies under tree cover or whatever. Being able to turn them down results in a cleaner image with less noise. I don’t like to use IR if I don’t have to. Non gain tubes if they’re set with a high amount of gain leave you no option to dim it down if they get noisy in the dark dark. Higher spec tubes with low EBI and high S/N & resolution may not be affected as much not having gain.

I love my BNVD-SG it’s a really great bino rig. Since it uses -14 optics, like Augee said it’s better for the hobbyist, since you have adjustable diopters and can can get replacement optics anywhere.

Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 12:44:13 AM EDT
[#18]
My opinion is that with it being new, porky looking, and priced close to the same as established bnvd’s people would rather go with something that’s already out there with a reputation.

They had the Gen 2 tube thing going for them price wise but now with NVD using Echos you can get into one of those cheaper than before. Its the same consumer price point. I’d rather get a NVD-BNVD then the FLIR BNVD and I’d feel the same way if I didn’t already have one.

Quoted:

Thanks for the reply. I was specifically talking about NVD BNVD compared to the 15.  On a separate note, you mentioned flir. I never hear about anybody using their nv, or talking about it. Is that because it sucks? Or is there another reason?
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 2:29:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 5:06:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I own the Night Vision Devices (Depot) BNVD-SG. I also had dual PVS-14’s on a dual D14 mount (had as in I just sold one of them). The duals you have to use both gain knobs versus the BNVD-SG with the single knob that controls gain for both.
*edit to add: The dual gain BNVD would be the same as duals however I’m sure if they’re from NVD, they’d match the gain levels. Not 100% but that’d be the right way to do it.

The way NVD puts them together they use a programmable tool to set both tubes in the BNVD to have the same gain levels so they go up and down together without one being brighter/dimmer than the other.

I personally like having gain control. For me it works great on really dark nights when I’m in the boonies under tree cover or whatever. Being able to turn them down results in a cleaner image with less noise. I don’t like to use IR if I don’t have to. Non gain tubes if they’re set with a high amount of gain leave you no option to dim it down if they get noisy in the dark dark. Higher spec tubes with low EBI and high S/N & resolution may not be affected as much not having gain.

I love my BNVD-SG it’s a really great bino rig. Since it uses -14 optics, like Augee said it’s better for the hobbyist, since you have adjustable diopters and can can get replacement optics anywhere.
View Quote
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 10:24:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I own the Night Vision Devices (Depot) BNVD-SG. I also had dual PVS-14's on a dual D14 mount (had as in I just sold one of them). The duals you have to use both gain knobs versus the BNVD-SG with the single knob that controls gain for both.
*edit to add: The dual gain BNVD would be the same as duals however I'm sure if they're from NVD, they'd match the gain levels. Not 100% but that'd be the right way to do it.

I personally like having gain control. For me it works great on really dark nights when I'm in the boonies under tree cover or whatever. Being able to turn them down results in a cleaner image with less noise. I don't like to use IR if I don't have to. Non gain tubes if they're set with a high amount of gain leave you no option to dim it down if they get noisy in the dark dark. Higher spec tubes with low EBI and high S/N & resolution may not be affected as much not having gain.

I love my BNVD-SG it's a really great bino rig. Since it uses -14 optics, like Augee said it's better for the hobbyist, since you have adjustable diopters and can can get replacement optics anywhere.
View Quote
I pretty much came here to post this exactly. I have the NVD BNVD-SG's as well and they are built like a tank and I love the single gain. The pvs-31s sound cool until you lose the diopter adjustment and double the price of the BNVD-SG. The next purchase I'll do NV-wise is another set of BNVD-SG in white phosphor, and move my green ones to loaner status.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 2:12:39 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't understand why so many don't like gain other than because so many bino rigs aren't designed for it. I like not just for dark nights but on those full moon doozies especially with snow I have to turn them down. My eyeballs get blown out from how bright it can get.

Quoted:
I pretty much came here to post this exactly. I have the NVD BNVD-SG's as well and they are built like a tank and I love the single gain. The pvs-31s sound cool until you lose the diopter adjustment and double the price of the BNVD-SG. The next purchase I'll do NV-wise is another set of BNVD-SG in white phosphor, and move my green ones to loaner status.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 2:18:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't understand why so many don't like gain other than because so many bino rigs aren't designed for it. I like not just for dark nights but on those full moon doozies especially with snow I have to turn them down. My eyeballs get blown out from how bright it can get.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm with you on that. Adjustable gain is a massive pro against eye strain. I would venture to guess some don't like adjustable gain due to a simplicity standpoint. (Less things to adjust), others I would guess just don't have much experience with adjustable gain and like what they're familiar with.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 3:08:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Manual gain is great because it really calms down the image, but IMHO auto gain tubes are better for fast pace dynamic use due to it will never be too bright or too dim transiting quickly from different lighting environments.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#26]
The Mini-B (push button housing?) would take me some getting used to pushing the buttons vs the knob. I do like how it cleans up the look of the housing though getting rid of the power & gain knobs.

Quoted:

+1 on this. I use the gain mainly to turn DOWN the brightness.

The other thing not mentioned on the BNVD- single gain is that all the controls are just like a PVS14 so if you are coming over from a PVS14 it's all pretty much the same function. Nothing new to learn or forget under stress.

My son and I were doing some shooting last night and I found myself leaving the right tube focused in for checking the target, then rolling it up to the side to shut it off and walking back to shoot and shooting with just the left and then rolling the right down (focused in close) to check the targets  out of habit and laziness ;)
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:59:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:53:31 AM EDT
[#28]
No offfense Augee but you make it sound like adjusting the gain is some kind of complicated process, lol. I just reach up and boom done. Two gain knobs isn’t ideal but is still fine. One knob is pretty sweet. Civilian recreational use versus military aviation two totally different types of users.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 9:13:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I mean, you would get way more IG likes.

~Augee
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mean, you would get way more IG likes.

~Augee
True, but you could say your current binos were -31s and still get 3/4s of those likes along with a lot more comments!
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:24:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#31]
I can see that. To be fair I've never spent any real length of time using auto gain in the field. The biggest drawback I see for new buyers is they don't want to get something like a -14 they'd have to sell if later they want to step into a bino rig which most are made for 10160's.

TNVC's 10 year warranty - I know with Night Vision Devices if you buy a device with the 10 yr warranty, if you transplant the tube into something else (even if they do it) you lose the 10 yr warranty altogether (if I remember right the tube drops to 1 year warranty). How do you guys handle this? This is coming from the hypothetical situation of a guy who bought a TNV-14 and decides later he wants to use that tube towards let's say a Mod 3 VG /gain housing and wants to send it back to TNVC for the "upgrade".

Quoted:

I mean, it’s more complicated than “automatic.” Also, you’re talking to the guy who prefers not to use power knobs.

Yes, civilian recreational use is quite a bit different, but I’ve also been around guys spending a lot of unneeded time fiddling with the gain to react to mixed lighting.

I have a tendency towards longer than necessary answers, hahaha, but having used both manual gain and non-manual goggles and I prefer non, and if I’m using goggles with, I treat ‘em as if they’re not.

At the same time, e.g., you have guys like MrPlayer, who’s using a unique “DBNVG” as he calls it, with unicorn OASYS thermal on one side, and he uses it to even out the two images—works for him, though for most people merging thermal and I2 is not really effective. Then again, there’s also a big difference between a SKEET and a Breach. I prefer the COTI/E-COTI for what I do.

~Augee
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 3:41:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks

Quoted:

If we do a housing upgrade for someone else's device, we warranty the housing and the work, but not the tube itself (usually applies mainly to fleet upgrades from DRMO AVS-6s to another housing or something).

Hypothetically speaking, we would simply keep whatever remaining warranty on the tube if it was an in-warranty TNV unit being converted to another housing (e.g., a Sentinel to DTNVG), however we don't really do tube conversions from MX-11769 to 10160 format, not because it's impossible to do, but it can be rather delicate work, and it simply isn't cost effective for us to offer that on a regular basis in our build/repair schedule, so converting one TNV unit to another TNV unit doesn't typically happen much, as the only ABC monocular we currently offer IIRC is the MOD-3B monocular, which requires no conversion to BNVD configuration, however there are other small-batch builders that can and do do that kind of work.

Most of the time conversion work as I mentioned is simply not practical for us to do unless it's for a fleet upgrade program or something like that, so we will often refer it out, though we are sometimes able to take small conversion jobs on a case-by-case basis if we have time in our build schedule, so it's best to call or e-mail us direct for those kinds of things.

~Augee
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 2:43:02 PM EDT
[#34]
PVS15 doesnt have manual gain.  Cant speak to the 31.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 2:45:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 6:13:38 PM EDT
[#36]
All GEN3 tubes have auto gain. The manual gain option just simply allows you to set the upper limit of the gain. I’m not sure why Augee is directing his replys in this thread in a manner that would make you assume otherwise. He knows how tubes work.  Basically if you have a manual gain unit and you don’t want manual gain, just leave the gain control alone and it will perform exactly the same as a non-gain unit. It’s not rocket science.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 11:28:14 AM EDT
[#38]
I’ve never had a device with a 10160, so the auto gain feature is no different than how it is with an 11769 minus the max gain set by the knob. In that case I’ll take manual gain all day long.

Quoted:
All GEN3 tubes have auto gain. The manual gain option just simply allows you to set the upper limit of the gain. I’m not sure why Augee is directing his replys in this thread in a manner that would make you assume otherwise. He knows how tubes work.  Basically if you have a manual gain unit and you don’t want manual gain, just leave the gain control alone and it will perform exactly the same as a non-gain unit. It’s not rocket science.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#39]
This conversation seems to act like Gain, is a zero sum game. Gain......everyone can have as much as they want and it doesn’t take away any of mine. :D

I prefer gain both because of my previously mentioned DBNVGs, but also because I feel like I am more “picky” about performance NVDs. And I feel like I have more “situational” awareness when I dial down the brightness in everything. (Sometimes I set the Unicorn setting to literally 3% brightness, most often 5/6%)
I definitely use my “pereferals” more with a dimmer goggle.

I carry a 1911 with a safety every day.
Some people like a Glock for simplicity. I feel like it’s the same argument. Basically it comes down to what people LIKE, just like Augee said.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 10:23:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
I didn't feel like reading all of the talk about no gain vs manual gain, so I am not sure if this was brought up...

@ChrisNTN Have you looked into the DTNVG's? Since you were interested in 15/31's, I thought you might be interested in those.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:08:20 AM EDT
[#41]
I may be doing a trade today if all goes well bringing home a L3 set of PVS15's in Green made by HEAT Night Vision. I was hoping for a WP set but I do like green. I'll update later tonight when we get back. Will be of most of the day drive to and from where we are meeting to do the trade.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 12:18:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Hope you get em. Nothing wrong with green

Quoted:
I may be doing a trade today if all goes well bringing home a L3 set of PVS15's in Green made by HEAT Night Vision. I was hoping for a WP set but I do like green. I'll update later tonight when we get back. Will be of most of the day drive to and from where we are meeting to do the trade.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 2:40:09 PM EDT
[#43]
I was considering the exact same units recently.   After reviewing the downsides of 31’s and 15’s (maintenance, fixed diopter on the 31’s and sketchy provenance usually), I opted for a new set of the BNVD Ultralights with L3 filmless wp tubes.  Couldn’t be happier.  Weight is very close to 31’s and I have Manual single gain and adjustable diopter and solid warranty for years to come.  I chose them over the Mini B because of long long lead times and very minor weight savings.  Plus the button design i wasn’t too sure about.  You might consider a set of the ultralights if you’re set on giving the wife your standard ones.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:21:38 PM EDT
[#44]
I really, really, dislike the fixed -1/2 diopters on the PVS-31.

The Army loves -1/2 for some reason.  When I worked for the USAF we determined that -3/4 was preferable, but Army is a bigger customer.  I can see better with -3/4.

PVS-31 is considerably lighter than the PVS-15 though.  There is a lot of weight savings in the fixed lenses.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 2:55:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Hope you get em. Nothing wrong with green
View Quote
Well, they are home now :)

HEAT / L3 PVS15's next to my 1st set of Night Vision Depot BNVD's which I still love. I will update with pics in the "NV, see what they can do thread" soon as I take some through the PVS15's.

Link Posted: 4/8/2019 3:08:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Congrats! I’ve always wanted to run some 15’s. Everyone raves about their optics. Looking forward to more pics.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 3:47:58 AM EDT
[#47]
First phone pics through the PVS15's. Couldn't get the camera to focus too well tonight. Saw a bat flying, 4 moths and 6 shooting stars or debris coming back into our atmosphere.

I do notice that the PVS15 seem brighter compared to my BNVD's and pick up light A LOT easier from the street lights down the way which bloom on the tips of the trees.

I'm sure once I clean the lens from the camera and take my time, I'll get some really nice shots though them.

I have to admit, I am just as happy with my BNVD's as these PVS15's. Other than these PVS15's picking up more light, I think the quality is about the same at least to my eyes. My BNVD's are lighter than the PVS15's and articulate more than the PVS15's. I do really like the auto off feature when you flip them up. That's a feature that I wish my BNVD's had. You have to adjust the focus a little less with the PVS15's going from close to far with very little adjustment than you do with the BNVD's.

And a quick video I did panning around the trees and sky. Make sure to crank that viewing quality all the way up in the setting tab.

Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:00:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:08:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Must be an older set of BNVDs?

All the newer ones have that feature as well as individually shutting off channels if a single one is rolled up to the side. I roll mine up to the side more than I flip the whole thing up. It's probably the most handy feature to me.
View Quote
Yep, I sent an email to Night Vision Depot /Devices to try to get info on history and build of my unit. They are just over 10 years old and info has been purged out of their system.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:48:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Congrats on the -15’s! They look great.

You’re screwed on the BNVD’s Unless you want to pay for a new housing. Mine are about 3 years old and have the flip up power off feature but no tactical monocular shutoff like the new new ones have.

Unless I’m standing straight up vertically and not moving at all, honestly I can’t stand the flip up power off feature and don’t use it. At least on mine, it’s similar to how the -14’s work. If I lower my head even slightly they power back on. Tactical mono shut off would be awesome however.

You’d have to buy the new housing and send it in for the upgrade. Even with mine being pretty new, NVD told me I was SOL as it would require a complete housing change. Then if I did that I’d lose whatever’s left of my 10 year warranty.

@Lowdown3 - not directed at you. As you know I didn’t buy them from you but want to make that clear for others.

Best advice to anyone looking at their BNVD’s - specifically ask for and make sure you get the fancy add-ons like battery pack capability, etc etc because after the fact ain’t going to happen

Quoted:

Yep, I sent an email to Night Vision Depot /Devices to try to get info on history and build of my unit. They are just over 10 years old and info has been purged out of their system.
View Quote
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top