Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2005 8:24:23 AM EDT
I currently make solid black nylon fake cans for the USC, UZI and SP10 (dicontinued...unless you really, really want one) I have had a few people ask about fake cans for the Storm. They would be cheaper then the other models.....I'm thinking under $50

I have a couple differnt ideas for attachment...this is the stickler on these.

1. I hate set screws, bcause the marr the barrel. I can maybe design one with a nylon ring inside the main body that would get squeezed to secure it...maybe.

2. I know I could make it work by attaching it with screws through the 2 holes in the little rail when it is extended....this may make the rail un-usable, but some have added the side rails for the important stuff.

I still have ideas bouncing around my skull, so who knows...the bad part is that I don't own a Storm anymore, so I would need measurements from somebody if I decide to try this.

Input?????????????
Link Posted: 1/19/2005 8:45:15 AM EDT
[#1]
would adding a fake can affect its 922r compliance?
Link Posted: 1/19/2005 8:57:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think so........besides, it would be US made.
Link Posted: 1/19/2005 9:34:01 PM EDT
[#3]
A barrel shroud/fake can with set screws pushing in against a band that squeezes around the circumference of the barrel is the way to go IMO. E&L Manufacturing uses this in their barrel shrouds for the UZI Carbine and HK94. I have one on my HK94. MFI's new fake can looks more realistic but then I found out that when its set screws are tightened, it digs into the surface of the barrel of the HK94. I told them .......no thanks. If you have a mint condition, pre-ban HK94, you don't want no screws digging into your barrel. On the other hand, if I had a SW clone or a Beretta Storm, I wouldn't mind.
Link Posted: 1/19/2005 10:59:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I know of a coupel guys looking for barrel shrouds for their Storms... I might even want one.
There are some out there, but they're.... crap.
The whole set-screw idea just sucks. the nylon bushing thing sounds like a good idea though.
Link Posted: 1/20/2005 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#5]
maybe a bushing that had some sort of quick attachment for the fake suppressor?
Link Posted: 1/20/2005 11:17:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I could do that, but that bushing would have to then be attached in some way.....back to square 1. If people don't mind a mark or two from set screws...we could have many options. The other PITA is that the barrel is tapered...makes thing a bit harder again.
Link Posted: 1/20/2005 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#7]
fake stuff on guns = teh gay
Link Posted: 1/20/2005 2:12:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/8/2005 1:56:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but apparently Beretta was thinking the same thing...

www.houtsenterprises.com/product2996.html

ETA - here it is on the gun (not mine - borrowed picture from another forum):

Link Posted: 4/8/2005 3:09:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I saw one in the package and figured it'd look a bit weird on the gun
looks like I was right
Link Posted: 4/8/2005 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#11]
No problem for the resurection...haha.

I agree with Sharky30....don't know if I like it either.

Glad the project died...haha
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 6:30:19 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm not really sure I like it either... so, of course, I went ahead and ordered one last week.
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 8:37:26 AM EDT
[#13]
LOL....
Link Posted: 4/12/2005 12:20:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm thinking about buying a real can, and putting it on a fake gun.
Link Posted: 4/27/2005 1:11:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I haven't stopped to take any pictures yet (I'll try to remember to do so tonight), but I am very pleased with the Beretta shroud.  It seems to be a quality part & fits/matches the Storm just like it should.

My personal opinion:  It does not look anything like a real or fake "can" - it simply looks like a ventilated shroud for heat dissipation, etc.  (I had something similar on my HK94 back in the '80s.)  IMHO it greatly enhances the overall look of the carbine, but that is entirely subjective & YMMV, of course.  The bottom line - I like it!

(You can't tell very well from the pic I copied & pasted above, but in person it is very obvious that it is hollow and not a suppressor - the vent holes are quite large.  Again, I'll try to take some good pics of mine.)
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:58:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I finally remembered to take some pics of my Storm with the factory shroud installed:

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:03:04 PM EDT
[#17]
BTW, here is the shroud as it comes from the factory.  You can see how large/hollow the holes are a little better here:

Link Posted: 5/27/2005 6:01:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Hardshell,

Do the factory ones just attach with set screws?
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 6:23:38 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Hardshell,

Do the factory ones just attach with set screws?

Yes, a single set-screw with some sore of nylon "buffer" to keep it from marring the barrel's finish (It may also prevent it from slipping loose???  We'll see...).  

Feels secure, but I haven't shot the Storm yet with it attached.  Worst case (if it tends to shoot loose), I'll drill/dremel a little dimple into the underside of the barrel for the set-screw to engage.
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 3:01:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the heads up, I do like the looks of that. Way better than the plain barrel. I think I will be buying myself one.
Link Posted: 5/29/2005 11:48:53 AM EDT
[#21]
I am going to have one that looks more like a fake can soon. I am just hoing to start getting one done that is made out of solid nylon 6-6, like the others I make. I am looking into some setscrews that have nylon inserts on the tip, they are supposed to be secure without marring the finish. I should have at least a protype for the first customer in a week or two.

Link Posted: 5/29/2005 1:12:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I am going to have one that looks more like a fake can soon. I am just hoing to start getting one done that is made out of solid nylon 6-6, like the others I make. I am looking into some setscrews that have nylon inserts on the tip, they are supposed to be secure without marring the finish. I should have at least a protype for the first customer in a week or two.

I'll certainly hold off buying the factory one until I see yours.
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I finally finished the first test model and it is designed for the .40 cal version. I am sure it will not take much to either make one for all three calibers or have 3 slightly different models to accomadate any slight barrel diameters differences. My tester friend will get it monday or tuesday and start testing it. I want to make sure everything is good before offering them for sale. The design when tested by me on another gun (just a crude model using the same retaining design) it stayed put and didn't leave any very noticeable marks...and I have stepped up the thicnkess of the O-ring inside.....yes it's set screws pushing on an o-ring...so far it works great...his testing will tell if I need to tweak anything or start taking orders....that is if anyone has any interes. They will cost $55 shipped. I wanted to keep them under $50, but hey..I'm real close....haha.

The one in the pics has some lube on it, I usually wipe it down after machining....that is why they look a little oily.

Link Posted: 7/11/2005 4:38:04 PM EDT
[#24]
I heard back on the 9mm unit and so far, so good. He didn't get to do alot of shooting, but he ran 4 -15 round mags through it. It stayed in place without any issues. He will hopefully shoot more soon. The guy that received the .40 cal unit says it fit's great and will try get out and shoot it soon. They will both send more pics also. Here is one pic of the 9mm on the gun. They look identical on the exterior.

Link Posted: 7/20/2005 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#25]
I will be sending out 2 test models for the .45 storm the beginning of next week. Once I hear back top make sure they are great...I will post a new thread on the EE for all 3 models. I will post a link here if anyone is interested in buying one.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:33:19 PM EDT
[#26]
BTT

.45 test models went out. I should be posting the testors thoughts on them after they receive them and test fire. If everything is good to go, I will start posting for sale threads for all three models at $55 each shipped. I'll try get more pics also.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:20:22 AM EDT
[#27]
I started a for sale thread

Click here
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top