Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2008 6:02:33 AM EDT
Before the 'you shouldn't put crap ammo' trolls reply, my question is a pertinent one because I have a large stock of Wolf and steel casesd .223.  I know the MSAR manual says not to use steel case ammo through the gun, does the TPD AXR have the same warning?

Taking the question further, has anyone actually run Wolf through their gun, specifcally an AXR?

The reason I ask is that I am of the personal belief that a gun should be able to run ammo, even if the ammo is of marginal quality.  All my AR's and my .223 AK run wolf without problems, and I don't like having guns that I have to be choosy what I am loading.

...OK, I admit it, when the zombies rise I may have to scrounge whatever is available, and don't want to be limited to shiny .223 brass casings.
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 11:00:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Same warning from TPD sbout Wolf and other steel cased ammo.
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 12:07:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I tried a handful of Wolf non coated in my AXR without any problems just to test it, but won't use it again unless in some sort of emergency and that is all that was available.  I shot about 20 rounds of Wolf and it all functioned 100% just like everything else.  I am following TPD's advice however and will only be using brass cased to insure my AXR lasts forever.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 2:07:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I've run a couple magazines of steel cased, lacquer coated, 62gr Brown Bear through a MSAR with no ill effects.

I don't plan on utilizing BB on a regular basis, but simply wanted to ascertain function in the rifle.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:10:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a case of 55gr Wolf to run through my STG and had marginal results. Cases would stick in the chamber, the rifle would short stroke and some other failures. I tried the same ammo in my AR and basically had the same results. Saying that I put American Eagle, UMC and M855 through it and it runs like a champ.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:19:02 PM EDT
[#5]
It is always interesting to find out that a 2 grand plus rifle will not run cheap ammo, so BUMP!
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#6]
WOLF is crap. I'm sorry, I know the temptation because it really is so much cheaper, but it's not worth it in my opinion to shoot it through rifles that are over the $1K mark.

Link Posted: 7/15/2008 9:31:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
WOLF is crap. I'm sorry, I know the temptation because it really is so much cheaper, but it's not worth it in my opinion to shoot it through rifles that are over the $1K mark.

I always hear that yet for the thousands of rounds of Wolf and few thousand rounds of Barnaul I have sent down range, the only issue with steel case I have ever had is some underloaded 9X18.  That was my one issue.

For all its detractors I have never seen issues with Wolf other than the occasional high-end safe-queen that will not extract posted about here.   Perhaps a beefier extractor is needed.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 10:46:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I always hear that yet for the thousands of rounds of Wolf and few thousand rounds of Barnaul I have sent down range, the only issue with steel case I have ever had is some underloaded 9X18.  That was my one issue.

For all its detractors I have never seen issues with Wolf other than the occasional high-end safe-queen that will not extract posted about here.   Perhaps a beefier extractor is needed.

You're the only person I've ever seen post that they have run thousands of rounds of Wolf without incident. Consider yourself a very lucky person.

I would not want the AXR or any rifle to redesign their extractor to handle Wolf when that could lead to other problems.

If you want to save money then learn how to reload.  Wolf just isn't worth it in my book.  Besides plenty of other cheap ammo out there that isn't steel cased.

Link Posted: 7/15/2008 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I am aware that MSAR and TPD both have warnings about running Wolf in their guns. Bushmaster and a host of other AR companies have the same warning, but by and large many of the guns will eat it with no trouble.

The purpose of this thread was to find out what people's personal experiences are when running Wolf through their AUG, STG, or AXR.  I woudl ask that we keep it on that track.

Thanks,

Dawg

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:50:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I was the one who posted about the extraction issues with my STG556. It had a faulty extractor, so I can't say for sure that it won't feed Wolf just yet.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 4:49:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I am aware that MSAR and TPD both have warnings about running Wolf in their guns. Bushmaster and a host of other AR companies have the same warning, but by and large many of the guns will eat it with no trouble.

The purpose of this thread was to find out what people's personal experiences are when running Wolf through their AUG, STG, or AXR.  I woudl ask that we keep it on that track.

Thanks,

Dawg

I shot 30rounds through it with no problems, BUT.... why bother? It WILL gum up your chamber, so you'll have to do more of an effort to clean that, you'll need to clean your gas piston earlier than with normal 'good' ammo, accuracy is crap with wolf, it is noticeably weaker ammo. I have shot about a thousand rounds of Wolf poly in my AR with a few snags over the years, and was able to reproduce the brass cases getting stuck in the chamber after shooting wolf and it is obviously harder on the extractor, so because of that I won't shoot wolf in my go-to guns ever.

CAN the STG-556 shoot wolf? Yes. Should it? Not unless you use it for just plinking.

ps. If you can, get Silver Bear Zinc plated ammo. That stuff does not have any poly-moly coating crap on it and is a bit better than wolf, for the same price.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:21:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I had problems with extraction running wolf in my STG-556.  I then moved the gas setting to the heavy setting and it ran the wolf just fine.  It works alot better with 68grain handloads.  I love this rifle!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:06:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're the only person I've ever seen post that they have run thousands of rounds of Wolf without incident. Consider yourself a very lucky person.

I would not want the AXR or any rifle to redesign their extractor to handle Wolf when that could lead to other problems.

If you want to save money then learn how to reload.  Wolf just isn't worth it in my book.  Besides plenty of other cheap ammo out there that isn't steel cased.

have you EVER heard of an AK? They subsist off of wolf without any problems. Its YOUR GUN, and its under developed extractor that cant handle it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:00:59 PM EDT
[#14]
For the first time ever, I had to admit defeat in my stubborn insistance that wolf should work in any gun I own.
My stg just won't work for too many rounds before one finally gets stuck in the chamber and the extractor rips loose from it. I can't even say that it's an underpower issue, because after losing some power ripping off of the stuck round, it usually still has enough to cycle back and strip the next round off, jamming it up the ass of the stuck one.
I tried a couple of times to *polish* the chamber up, but the problem persistantly repeats itself.
It's not an issue of expansion differences between brass and steel, the chamber gets gummed up.
I admit defeat and will just be sure to use brass cased ammo ,in this gun anyway, from here on out.
I'm just a plinker, no tacticool training or serious marksmanship,just fun, and wolf has done an exemplary job in all of my other firearms....but not in this.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:14:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Wolf/steel case in a TPD AXR? (and MSAR?)

www.tpdusa.com/faq.php
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:43:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I shoot mostly Wolf through my MSAR and I have no problems.  I've only shot around 2000 rounds through my rifle, but around 1500 of those have been Wolf.

Note:  I use Wolf polycoat, not lacquer.  Also, TPD's website only says lacquer coated steel ammo should not be used.  It doesn't say anything about polycoat.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:14:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

have you EVER heard of an AK? They subsist off of wolf without any problems. Its YOUR GUN, and its under developed extractor that cant handle it.

Probably a part that will add $20 to the cost of the gun will fix the problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top