Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2005 10:31:21 AM EDT
What is the deal with these 22lr bullets?  Does anyone use these bullets?  Does Wolf dip these bullets in oil?  They seem to be covered in oil.  Makes it real hard to load a magazine, I can only imagine was all that excess oil does to the inside of my gun?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#1]
its wax on the lead.

suppose to make it better. they shoot great  

i did notice that my rifle would shave the wax and it would buildup after awhile
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:47:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
its wax on the lead.

suppose to make it better. they shoot great  

i did notice that my rifle would shave the wax and it would buildup after awhile

This has been done for decades. I have 25 year old Remington target ammo that is covered in wax. I t helps prevent corrosion on the lead a lot too, the Eley match ammo I found in the same storage space was covered with green corrosion.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:41:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Pretty much all of the quality 22 match ammo will have a decent gob of wax on the bullet. I haven't personally shot the wolf yet, but many of the kids I coach have shot it. They all seem to like it. I had 2 boxes given to me to try, but I haven't tried them yet.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:35:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe because I live in a hot climate, the wax melted and it felt like oil to me.  At any rate it made the bullets slippery and hard to load.
They didn't shoot too bad though, close the the CCI mini mags.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:01:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Lots of praise for that Wolf Match Target amomo on the Rimfirecentral.com board as well.  I like it a lot as well.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:01:34 AM EDT
[#6]
It's good stuff.  It's more expensive, so I rarely shoot it.  
With a stock ruger barrel I was making quarter-sized groups at 50 yards.

Lots of +'s for it on RFC too.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:09:55 AM EDT
[#7]
The reason it's so good is its manufacturer, which oddly is NOT Wolf.

It's made by RWS, a german company which IIRC also makes Eley & Geco ammo.

Out of my target guns it's pretty much 1 hole ammo. Good stuff.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:51:31 AM EDT
[#8]
This is off the rimfirecentral.com board on a thread about Wolf rimfire ammo.

"The way I understand it the Wolf centerfire ammo is made in Russia and the rimfire ammo is made in Germany by JAGD-UND SPORT-MUNITIONS GMBH. SK JagD and the Wolf rimfire ammos are supposed to be the same stuff but lately my guns prefer the SK JagD."

My Winchester 52D will shoot 1/2" groups at 50' if I do my part.....maybe better if I was a better shot!!!  That's with iron sights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top