Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2006 1:56:26 AM EDT
Well, I up and did it.   I ordered a Winchester M1 Garand today.  CMP announced they have a few to sell.  Just couldn't pass up this deal on a real WWII rifle.  Only  Springfield Armory and Winchester made M1 Garands during the war.  I'll report on its condition when it arrives!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:34:32 AM EDT
[#1]
You do know of course, that very probably the only Winchester part on it will be the receiver....
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:48:19 AM EDT
[#2]
it will probably take more than that to burst his bubble, Ralph...

congrats on your purchase. It's good to know all Garands are not going to the hoarders.  :)
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:22:04 AM EDT
[#3]
If you just snail mailed the order in TODAY, you may be too late depending on what you ordered.  The CMP forum had posted they were sold out on the 24th.  www.odcmp.org/new_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13934  But they did list one of the Winchesters available incorrectly originally (were listed as Springfield with VAR barrels, when they were actually Winchesters with VAR barrels) and they may still be available, though the guys who have orders in already supposedly have first shot at lower grades if their first choices are sold out.  Hope you do make the cut, but seems unlikely from reading the posts on the CMP forum.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:59:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:47:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If you just snail mailed the order in TODAY, you may be too late depending on what you ordered.  The CMP forum had posted they were sold out on the 24th.

I did overnight my order to CMP after calling them.  Customer service said there were still Field Grades left.  I figure I have the best chance of getting a Winchester barrel with the rifle on either a FG or a RG.    I'm keeping my fingers crossed.    This would be my second M1 Garand, I WISH I were a Garand "hoarder".   LOL
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:36:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Overnighting seems to be the BEST way to go,  for a real shot at the limited stuff nowadays.   I USPS Express mailed (supposed to get there by noon the next day) an order in for the Winchester 52D rifles when they had 200 pop up for sale early last year and wasn't confident even then I would get any.  I still figured I had a better chance than winning the lottery and for the $12 I felt it was worth the try.  I read postings that some guys sent their orders in by FedEx express for $25 or so to get there by 8:00am the next day.....real hardcore ordering there!!!  I did get my Winchester 52D rifles, so good luck to you!!!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:08:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I believe all the Winchesters for sale do NOT have Winchester barrels. At least this is what I read on another board.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:39:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Correct.. NO WRA barrels on WRA receivers.. Orest stated this on the CMP forum and in the E-mails that went out.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:07:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm sure SOME of the Winchesters have factory barrels.  Probably  too few to advertise because everyone would want one of those. I'm hoping I get lucky and get one.  If not, thats good too since it should have a SA arsenal barrel.  I hope the op rod and trigger group are Winchester.  I will give a full report when I get it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:27:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Do not expect Winchester parts on your rifle other than the receiver. If you get any at all you will be very lucky.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:35:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Do not expect Winchester parts on your rifle other than the receiver. If you get any at all you will be very lucky.

Lucky from a collectors point of view. From a "quality of worksmanship, meets spec" point of view, non Winchester parts could be called a good thing

Sorry, I just don't drink the Winchester Kool-Aid. Had a Win Rack Grade a while back, when I sold some guns it was the first to go. I'll take quality over a trademark anyday.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:34:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:44:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lucky from a collectors point of view. From a "quality of worksmanship, meets spec" point of view, non Winchester parts could be called a good thing

Sorry, I just don't drink the Winchester Kool-Aid. Had a Win Rack Grade a while back, when I sold some guns it was the first to go. I'll take quality over a trademark anyday.

Cosmetics have nothing to do with the intrinsic value/quality of working parts on a battle rifle. WIN parts may not be pretty but they met USGI specs, otherwise they wouldn't be in the hands on the CMP.

Yeah, when you get down to it you're right, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay extra for a name when they look like they came from the Khyber Pass.Friggin Hand File Haaji can make nicer stuff. And while Winchester met the specs, wasn't it usually the initial spec for the part, and they just handily ignored the various revisions to the part drawing until the Win-13s came about?If it hadn't been for the demands of a war going on, whether or not the mil would have accepted some of the stunts Winchester pulled that lead to the CMP getting the goods fifty or sixty years later is debatable.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:11:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cosmetics have nothing to do with the intrinsic value/quality of working parts on a battle rifle. WIN parts may not be pretty but they met USGI specs, otherwise they wouldn't be in the hands on the CMP.

Yeah, when you get down to it you're right, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay extra for a name when they look like they came from the Khyber Pass.Friggin Hand File Haaji can make nicer stuff. And while Winchester met the specs, wasn't it usually the initial spec for the part, and they just handily ignored the various revisions to the part drawing until the Win-13s came about?If it hadn't been for the demands of a war going on, whether or not the mil would have accepted some of the stunts Winchester pulled that lead to the CMP getting the goods fifty or sixty years later is debatable.

Yeah,  Winchester wanted more money from the .gov for their rifles if they started producing rifles with the SA revisions.  Until the Win-13's winchester rifles still had the slant cut oprods, narrow front sight base etc.

I have two Winchesters,  I got 'em from CMP when you had no choice on manufacturers.  Just luck of the draw.  I will say the machining on a Winchester is, uh............. rough.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:09:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Yea hah!!!!!  My Winchester FG M1 rifle has posted on CMP.  That  means I'm getting it, don't know how soon it will ship, but I HAVE ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Garands are kind of a sickness.  I bought one last year a Springfield SG and thought that would be it, I really only wanted one..................Well now I want one of each manufacturer.  One from Springfield, Winchester, HRA, and IHC.   I'm sure I'll be able to stop after that.  I don't have a problem or anything, I can stop whenever I want..............
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:10:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Mine posted on Thursday. One Winchester service grade with VAR barrel and one field grade.!!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:16:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:44:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

That reminds me, I have a line on an IHC that I need to follow up on .... for RangemasterP226    

Fixed it for ya!  

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:45:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:32:38 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Delivered!!!

WRA Service w/VAR:
i4.photobucket.com/albums/y102/slash1969/Gun%20Pics/WRAServiceVAR.jpg

WRA Field:
i4.photobucket.com/albums/y102/slash1969/Gun%20Pics/WRAField.jpg

I sure hope my FG Winnie looks that nice when it comes!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top