[#1]
Brass frame? Yellow boy?

Henry?

Vintage Winchester?
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 9:10:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 9:25:50 AM EDT
[#3]
How about finish wearing off brass fram that was colorized somehow-anodized?
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 9:51:10 AM EDT
[#4]
A lot of times trying to re-blue post-64 '94's results in a reddish or purplish colored receiver, could this be the cause?

Rob
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 12:07:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A lot of times trying to re-blue post-64 '94's results in a reddish or purplish colored receiver, could this be the cause?

Rob

I seem to , maybe remember , reading if the temp of the bluing salts is increased , the color will return to something close to normal ?

This is caused by the metal of the receiver being different from the metal of the barrel .

I had Dad's Crackshot 26 re-blued when I was a teenager .  The frame on it did the same thing .

God bless
Wyr

Link Posted: 7/9/2010 3:06:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rob

I seem to , maybe remember , reading if the temp of the bluing salts is increased , the color will return to something close to normal ?

God bless
Wyr

I've been told, and read, the same thing about the temp increase.

Rob

Link Posted: 7/9/2010 4:07:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Tag, as I own one that sounds exactly like what he's talking about.  I bought mine used at a great price, and always wondered about the coloring.

Link Posted: 7/9/2010 6:55:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Early Model 94 rifles and carbines used a special nickle based steel in the receivers that proved very difficult to effectively refinish in a blue color and many of the weapons now feature the copper or reddish color from the botched attempts.
The original factory applied finish involved a caustic, heat tempered, coloring that wore off in fairly short order leaving the receiver with a silver color that would patina into a flat silvery color if left alone but many owners wanted the blue color back,,,with less than perfect results.
When the original rifles were refinished the color did appear blue and as time has passed the finish has developed into the copperish patina you see today.

Modern finish techniques can apply a blue color back to the receiver.
I think the copper/red/ bronze color of the patina simply adds character to these older rifles.HTH
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 4:27:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the answer, and yeah, I love the look of it...
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 5:31:33 PM EDT
[#10]
If you try and reblue post 1964 to like early to mid 1980's M94 receivers with conventional hot blueing salts and methods...the receiver will likely come out same color as a new penny.

I had to use Pilkington rust blue to get mine blue again...and it's a pain in the ass!

The barrel, mag-tube and small parts will blue fine. The barreled receiver will have a pretty copper colored receiver, and a pretty blue barrel when you take it from the tanks to rinse.

Some break-open shotguns and other firearms also have receivers which turn coppery in a reblue as well. Old shotguns with cast receivers are notorius for this phenomena.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:57:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I looked at a used older 94 this morning and the receiver had a shiny copper-colered look to it, almost like it had been anodized that color.

I've never seen one like it and the shop owner had no idea why it looked that way.

He said he had it listed online as well, so I'll see if I can't come up with a picture...

It's been re-blued. We did 10 guns one day and every thing came out perfect except the Winchester. we did it 3 times at lower temps and it still came out copper looking. The only thing we could come up with was something in the metal in the receiver.  Every other part came out a nice blue/black.
This will also happen with para's.

Top Top