Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2002 8:15:54 AM EDT
I really want to get a new RRA M4 upper bur the prices are so cheap I am a little suspicious of what I will be getting. Any opinions on what I can expect. Will the upper match my Bushmaster lower?
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 8:35:52 AM EDT
[#1]
You will get a very high quality upper that will fit very well with your Bushmaster lower.  I have been very happy with the fit and finish of both RRA uppers that I own.  The opinions I see on this board by others seem to reflect the same.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 8:36:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I've just done exactly the same to my Bushie lower (I call the result a "Rock Master").  The RR upper is of excellent quality.  I expected this since I already had an RR lower on another gun.  The color on RR pieces is very slightly different than on the Bushie, but it's not something you'd notice from more than 6to12 inches away. The only real lack in the RR uppers is the lack of the dry lube coating on the inside surface.  I don't miss it, because the stuff rubs off, where the bolt carrier rubs, in two or three thousand rounds anyway.

Given the price difference between the RR and Bushie uppers, it's pretty hard to justify the difference and buy the Bushie. I'd recommend you save the money and build your own "Rock Master".
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 8:41:32 AM EDT
[#3]
RRA kicks ass, I really like their stuff.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 8:44:58 AM EDT
[#4]
How cheap is the upper??  I am looking for one myself!  J&T's M4 kit with A2 detachable carry handle is $550.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 9:13:10 AM EDT
[#5]
BlackDog checkout SableCo's website for super deals on RRA uppers. Donnie is terrific to deal with and fast on shipping . I wouldn't trade or sell the RRA CMP upper I bought,it is one tack driving shooter. HTH
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 9:25:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Web site for Sable Co???
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 9:28:03 AM EDT
[#7]
sableco.net
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 9:57:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Here it Is, post #500

I love my Rocky...:)
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 9:57:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Rock River stuff is not cheap. Just inexpensive.

And I've been very pleased with their quality.

Link Posted: 7/15/2002 10:13:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 10:19:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I deal with one of the suppliers to Rock River.
The guy makes parts that fit ANY mil-spec part.
The company is RB Precision. Check out the web site at rbprecision.com. You see why the stuff fits so well. I now buy most of my stuff from him.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 11:05:08 AM EDT
[#12]
You won't regret purchasing an RRA upper... or lower for that matter!

I love their stuff.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 12:29:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I have two RRA uppers on Eagle Arms lowers (Reagels, Eagle Rivers?). Heck of a deal and really nice uppers.  I'm glad I bought them.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I agree with the comment that RRA are "Inexpensive" but NOT "cheap."

The main reason is that you are not paying for the name recognition that Colt and Bushmaster have.  Colts are expensive because of their name "Colt" and they were who had the contract with the military when the M16 became popular and known.  Bushy is the current military contractor, and people think that the military only buy the best (which is not necessarily so).

RRA also does not spend as much money on Marketing/Advertising that Bushy and Colt do.

As for quality, I'd put RRA against Colt and Bushy any day and it will hold its own or excel.

You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 4:00:39 PM EDT
[#15]
That is such BS!!! Bushy is no military contractor! Show me some evidence. I will send you a case full of B lead pencil shavings if you can prove it!

SIG out,

Doggonit (SIG LOVE!!!)
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I beleive it was written inside their catalog in the company profile/background they state that they provided a batch of M4 in the 1990 time frame. I have to go pull out the old catalogs, yes, I do have some back issues. I rather have the pencil, need a spare writing utensil.

You might direct that question to the Subguns NFA board, as there is a fella(s) there that work or worked in the armory on a base somewhere that has seen Bushmaster M-16's.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 6:07:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I really want to get a new RRA M4 upper bur the prices are so cheap I am a little suspicious of what I will be getting. Any opinions on what I can expect. Will the upper match my Bushmaster lower?

You must not be looking at their 1911's then.  Rock River Arms made last year's LEGP, and many were impressed with the fit and finish of those guns.  They have a good reputation for quality.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I beleive it was written inside their catalog in the company profile/background they state that they provided a batch of M4 in the 1990 time frame. I have to go pull out the old catalogs, yes, I do have some back issues. I rather have the pencil, need a spare writing utensil.

You might direct that question to the Subguns NFA board, as there is a fella(s) there that work or worked in the armory on a base somewhere that has seen Bushmaster M-16's.

OMG, the M4 wasn't around in 1990!!!

I believe i was about 1194 when the M4 was adopted. So...

Doggonit (SIG LOVE!!!)

Link Posted: 7/15/2002 6:35:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Question.....Can I put an M4 upper in place of my Dissipator upper?
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 2:31:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Bushmaster DID provide some M16's to the military, but the current contract holder is FN.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 2:43:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Does anyone know what kind of muzzle break they use on their post-ban M4 entry rifle and if the barrel and chamber is chrome lined?
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 7:18:24 AM EDT
[#22]
I think a better question is why are the others so much more money.
cpermd
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 7:31:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Concerning Bushmaster's military contract:

Military contracts are a matter of public record.  You should be able to find a contract number throught he freedom of information act.

Also, I had a buddy who claims to have been issued a Bushmaster M-4 shortly after the Gulf War.  I really can't vouch for it though.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 9:17:54 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I believe i was about 1194 when the M4 was adopted. So...

I wonder how much an 808 year old M4 would be worth today?        

-bricklayer

oh p.s.   I have a RRA lower, it is very nice!!
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Here is my RRA/Colt Rifle:

Its the postban M4 Entry Tactical model upper with chrome lined bore/chamber, mated with a Colt MT6700C lower - other goodies include, Ergo grip, Fobus M33 handguards, low profile Ergo covers, RRA Tactical Entry stock and 1 3/4" Bushmaster extension for the buttstock:

Mattja - The postban "flash suppressor" is a standard A2 model, bored out and press fitted over the barrel, complete with locking washer for looks. As for the chome lined barrel/chamber - I think its a $35-$40 upgrade through Donnie at Sable Co. www.sableco.net

I had a lengthy review on it in the Rifles/Uppers section here www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=121038
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 9:58:49 AM EDT
[#26]
I recently built an M4 upper with RRA parts from Pete-in-NH.  They are some of the highest quality parts I've ever used at any price...and yes I've used plenty of Colt, Bushmaster, Oly, etc, etc, etc
John
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 3:45:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
The M4 Carbine has been around since 1986!  And I believe the combo existed earlier, and was originally designed for an Abu Dahbi contract.

Bushmaster had a one-time contract to supply 3500 M4s to the US military in 1990 during the Desert Sheild build-up, because Colt couldn't supply them fast enough to meet the sudden increase in demand.  Colt complained, because they held patents on the configuration, and ended up winning a single-source contract for the M4, which continues today.  Still, the Army has already tried to award M4 contracts to FN anyway, but Colt fought that and won.

Colt currently supplies the M4 and the M16A4.  FN Manufacturing supplies the M16A2 and M16A3, along with the M240 GPMG, M249 SAW, and a number of other guns.

For more on RRA vs. Bushmaster, read this thread:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=132313

-Troy

Ok you and all thso reothers who are talking about Bushmaster in the 80's are going off track and are so full of it. I was responding to a claim the RRA MADE M4'S!!! OK? And I seriously doubt that they had M4's int he 80's and that they used them in the Gulf War since in 1993 the Delta guys in Somalia used CAR-15's (The stuff that the Isreali SF get standard issue albeit with A2 sights and grip and a few other mods, see: isayeret.com) (And remember Delta guys can have anything they want, so an M4 (if they would have existed back then) woudl have been no problem. Ask Mark Bowden, ask the Delta operator themselves, ask the DoD! Some of them are in Afghanistan as we speak (Mark Boden claims). You guys just romaticise the M4 too much. The M4's came about in 1994. Show me some proof of whatever Abu Dahbi contract. What the hell is that anyway? THEY HAD No M4's in DESERT STORM! BS BS BS BS BS!!! Perhaps a few CAR-15's.

And to that old topic that you added: IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T!!!

Buy the best gun you can because quality counts especailly if you plan to shoot regularly (meaning a few K rounds a year easy). Quality costs but rocks. SIG!!!

SIG out,

Doggonit (The SIGer strikes again)

Knowledge is power...
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 2:54:22 AM EDT
[#29]
I don't understand a THING you just said!

Did you forget to take your meds?
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 4:00:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Doggonit,

Please refer to page 391 of"The Black Rifle" by R. Blake Stevens and Edward C. Ezell.  There you will find two photographs and a description of the XM4 Carbine (Colt model number 727) as produced for Abu Dhabi.

Since you'll probably call me a liar I'll include the ISBN number of the text, so that you can reference it in the future: ISBN 0-88935-115-5.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 4:21:34 AM EDT
[#31]
From a previous post:

Quoted:
That is such BS!!! Bushy is no military contractor! Show me some evidence. I will send you a case full of B lead pencil shavings if you can prove it!

And now:

Quoted:
Ok you and all thso reothers who are talking about Bushmaster in the 80's are going off track and are so full of it. I was responding to a claim the RRA MADE M4'S!!! OK?

This shit is hilarious. You're a joke and we're all laughing at you. At least edit your post to cover up your own lie. The spell check button is there for a purpose too. My side is hurting. Thanks for the laugh dude....

Link Posted: 7/17/2002 4:52:27 AM EDT
[#32]
IN A WORLD FULL OF B.S., SOME DON'T!

As for you all claiming that Ahboo Daabee is a country - WHAT B.S.  Just ask the DOD.  Just ask the operators, well, you can't, because they're stationed there right now.  Knowledge is power, and the M4 didn't exist until 1194BC!  Anyway I wasn;t talking about the M4 you idiots, I was talking about the m FOUR, which is a completely different weapon all together.  Ask my close personal friend Marchinko.  He'll tell you all about it, oh yeah, but he's in Afganeeeeestan.

Whatever you get, make sure that it can handle 2,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 rounds a year.

That's why I only shoot SIG AR's.  (They had the original M-4 contract back in 2007)  SIG AR's are used by the Israleee Special Yarmulka Command see www.stileproject.com

Bushmaster made M-4's. BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS

The only M-4's that Bushmaster made were for the Iraqi National Home Guard Battalion.  Just ask the INS or the AFT or the NICS or the WD-40!

Quality costs, but when you're an operatuhr like me, you can afford it!

Now do you idiots see what I'm saying.

CRAP I GOTTA STOP SNORTIN SO MUCH METH!
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 5:30:58 AM EDT
[#33]
RRA rulez.. the rest drool

Ok on a serious note I have two RRA ARs and they are both awesome. I hear thier 1911 are also one of the best.. and I guess the 18 month waiting list says something.

Ropes
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 5:57:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Please, please, stop the viciousness. I feel that you have effectively proved me wrong and even taught me a lesson. Sorry but spell check takes too long for me. I need to hurry. Despite devoting time to this board I can only do that in fast short spontaneous bursts so I might seem agitated. Well alright I admit I am. But that's just because of the pressure of hurrying to do this to do that. What a life...

So sorry folks for making you angry, I hope you wont attack me again. I guess McUzi was right...

I guess I should listen more to my elders...
But who would've thought that there was an XM-4? And how many where made?

SIG out,

The SIGer strikes again
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 7:31:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Because they are not screwing you as bad as Colt or Bushmaster does....  
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 7:37:37 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Because they are not screwing you as bad as Colt or Bushmaster does....  

Hehe, no on screws you. Bushy and COlt just got a name. They make great guns too.

SIG out
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 7:54:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Yes but if you look really close most of the parts are from the same manufacturers.  No doubt about Bushmasters quality but they are all very close.  Even the J&T, Model "1" etc.  
That's me a few years ago being hit with the stick.  Sadly enough I still prefer Bushmaster even though I know better.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 8:19:49 AM EDT
[#38]
GIJohnny, saying place like JT and bushmaster get their parts from the same place is like saying Daewoo and Rolls Royce use the same metal to build their cars. True but very deceptive...

This stuff has been gone over and over here. There is so much info on this board you will never be able to see it all. But stick around and keep reading, you'll find some great info...

IMHO, General Discussion forums are almost the worst place to go for good info. There is about as much bull crap info found here as good info.

Doggonit, if you dont have enough time to spell check what you post, how much time did you have to think about what it was you just typed? Is it accurate or just "fast short spontaneous bursts" which have a tendency to be innaccurate? Not a slam or anything, just something to think about.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 11:43:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Doggonit

NJ,  USA

Where's my pencil I ask for earlier?
Surely you are not going to back out on the pencil shaving offer??

Must be just tryinng to rack up the post count.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 12:11:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Doggonit:  I dub thee...

Tweek!

Link Posted: 7/17/2002 2:31:55 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Doggonit:  I dub thee...

Tweek!

STUPID underwear gnomes.....
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#42]
I really like my RRA M4 post-ban upper.  It looks and feels great, and that extra 1.5" has shown to have a good effect on effective range.

As to why they're so inexpensive:  market penetration.  RRA is relatively new and needs to make a name for itself.  It can't charge the premium that ArmaLite, Bushmaster, and especially Colt charge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top