Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2002 11:59:34 PM EDT
Is there more to the M4 profile barrel than the "Cool Factor"?  Are there any advantages besides it looks really neat?  I have an E.A. preban with a 20" Hbar and I am thinking of turning it into a carbine with collapsible stock or waiting and purchasing a ZM upper and folding stock when funds become available.  I'm tempted to say "screw it" and just purchase a normal A2 or A3 carbine upper and spend the extra money on bullets or optics.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 1:53:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I can assure you that the SF units currently using the M4 couldn't care less whether their weapon was "cool" or not.  The AR15/M16 has just evolved to meet current requirements.  Kind of like the CAR trend of a few years back.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 2:40:16 AM EDT
[#2]
The only reason for the cut in the barrel is to mount the old M203.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 5:11:22 AM EDT
[#3]
The M4 barrel has a thinner profile under the handhuards as compared to an HBar which makes it a little lighter than the HBar
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 5:23:30 AM EDT
[#4]
The military chose the M4 barrel profile for a reason.  It appears that this may change with newer SOPMOD requirements.  And, there's certainly nothing wrong with wanting a weapon similar to the M4 for your personal collection.  However, I am not a big fan of the barrel profile for a private rifle, because the vast majority of us will never get a grenade launcher, and I hate the lightweight barrels, even on a carbine.  Oh, and the 1/7 twist sucks for the ammo that most of us can actually get our hands on.  That's just my personal opinion.  I use the Colt DC6721 upper (16" HBAR, 1/9 twist, M4 receiver).
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 5:24:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Light wt is my reason.
Now I wantto get a couple of BMs new lightwt barrels to put some uppers together.
Should be even better.
cpermd
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 7:38:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
However, I am not a big fan of the barrel profile for a private rifle, because the vast majority of us will never get a grenade launcher, and I hate the lightweight barrels, even on a carbine.  Oh, and the 1/7 twist sucks for the ammo that most of us can actually get our hands on.  That's just my personal opinion.  I use the Colt DC6721 upper (16" HBAR, 1/9 twist, M4 receiver).

Well, if you carry your rifle for long distances in the field, then a fewer ounces could make a difference. On the other hand, if you carry your rifle from your car to the shooting bench, then it wouldn't be a problem. But also for LW barrel will heat up faster.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:10:28 AM EDT
[#7]

LW barrel will heat up faster.

Which also means it cools down faster.  

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:28:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Man, it looks cool. I been running a M4 since 1989, I don't want else to get.  I personally like it for the looks, lightweight or the profile cut does nothing for me.  I mainly purchase the Bushmaster M4 barrles, it is set a 1:9 twist, which i like better then the colt barrel.

M4 just look hellacool.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 1:22:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I can assure you that the SF units currently using the M4 couldn't care less whether their weapon was "cool" or not.  The AR15/M16 has just evolved to meet current requirements.  Kind of like the CAR trend of a few years back.

Yes we do like the kewl factor too!
But really, the lt weight and compactness of the M4 is a big advantage. It is so much easier to jump with the M4 exposed than it was with the M16A2.
My SF unit is Guard so I doubt we will be getting the newer HBAR M4's anytime soon, but we did finally get RAS!
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 2:50:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Man, it looks cool. I been running a M4 since 1989, I don't want else to get.  I personally like it for the looks, lightweight or the profile cut does nothing for me.  I mainly purchase the Bushmaster M4 barrles, it is set a 1:9 twist, which i like better then the colt barrel.

M4 just look hellacool.

Dude, love the Cartman referrence. Anyone who doesn't like the M4 profile barrel is Hellalame.

Cloak-
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 3:29:21 PM EDT
[#12]
hehehehe, big south park fan.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 4:43:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a both a pre ban M4 and a 14.5 inch Lt. weight. I love the look of the M4 but would rather pack and use the Lt. weight. It balances better and is not as nose heavy. I have not put them on a scale to see what the difference in weight is but I would gess that the M4 is at least a pound heavier.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top