Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2002 5:22:11 PM EDT
I want a G3 or L1A1 style rifle that won't break my piggy bank.  I've seen a CETME .308, how are they?  Are the kits I've seen any good, worth building?  I only want it for plinking and probably won't use it that much.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:30:04 PM EDT
[#1]
ummm, isnt the G1 more L1A1 style, or are you refering to 2 different rifle types?

I do believe the CETME and G3 are look-a-likes just like the L1A1 and G1 are (basic design and construction)

I'm waiting on my parts to rebuild a G1....waiting is like the clock is in super slo-mo mode!

OH, forgot to add..the link below is the FAL forum which is the FAL equivalant to AR15.com (but this one is better ) lots of good FN/FAL/G1/L1A1....etc info!

www.falfiles.com/cgi-bin/forums/ultimatebb.cgi
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:33:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Cheap - Good - Fast

Pick any two.

If you want a FAL/G1, one of the STG58 parts guns is probably your best bet.

For the CETME/G3, I have seen no cheap copies that were good.  Maybe someone else can help there.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:50:43 PM EDT
[#3]
SF is right. The lower line G3's and CETME rifles are hit and miss as are the low priced L1A1 FAL's on the market. You may get lucky but you can count on replacing parts on these rifles.

The best bet for the bucks is the all Imbel M444 at falparts.com at $675. This gets you a pretty good FN FAL 50:00 pattern FAL. For a bit more, dsarms.com has the STG58a kit on a DSA type 1 reciever. Both are fully functional FAL and great weapon systems.

I have a M444 on order after posing the same question as you last week. $10 FAL mags brand new is hard to beat and spareparts are everywhere.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top