Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2005 12:11:11 AM EDT
I never got into mausers, i've had a few over the years but never collected them, I've always been a US military collector. Now its all about AK's for me, i've gone AK crazy buying everything in sight but when a buddy of mine went through my collection he was surprised i didnt have a mauser, I have a couple mauser broomhandles but no rifles. I dont want to start collecting mausers or anything, i dont know shit about them really, what i want is one good example, one with correct factory codes and Nazi markings. I dont want to get raped on buying one either, i'm willing to spend up to a thousand bucks max, more in the five hundred dollar range if i can get something nice. Give me suggestions on which one and where i should buy it, i have a C&R license so ordering it through some company will not be a problem. Help me out fellas. McM

Edit: No Turkish mausers either, I'm Armenian and if you know ur history you'll understand why i dont want some slimey turkish mauser
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:51:44 AM EDT
[#1]
A slimey Turkish Mauser is no good, but a Nazi Mauser is just the ticket???

(Not accusing you of being an 88, but I think I'm missing something here...)
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:20:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Sheesh.  It has nothing to do with being an 88.  I can understand why an Armenian wouldn't get enjoyment out of owning an Turk Mauser.  It's his personal preference.  Lots of folks have WW2 K98s, and that doesn't make them 88s.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:36:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sheesh.  It has nothing to do with being an 88.  I can understand why an Armenian wouldn't get enjoyment out of owning an Turk Mauser.  It's his personal preference.  Lots of folks have WW2 K98s, and that doesn't make them 88s.

Ok, I'll try this one more time-
NOT ACCUSING YOU OF BEING AN 88, I THINK I'M MISSING SOMETHING HERE

I figured without that statement, someone might infer that's what I was trying to say I have never equated the ownership of any "bad guy" gun with the support or sympathy for said "bad guys".  I couldn't figure out why someone would object to owning a weapon from one rather nasty group, but not object to another- motorcityman's being Armenian explains it perfectly, however (I guess I missed that the first time).

Well, since I've posted in this thread twice now I guess I could at least post something useful.

Check out this German Mauser Forum for more info. I'm pretty ignorant in the realm of Mausers- I just know the Yugos are what's big on the surplus market right now, followed by the Russian captures from the last few years, and that Mitchell's Mausers is regarded as being overpriced. I would think that your best bet would to buy from an individual, but that's just a SWAG on my part. Hope the link helps!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:57:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I should have refined my requirements to strictly the WW2 German era. I put in the thing about the turkish mausers just to be funny i guess. For those who dont know, the turks (ottomon empire) killed 1.5 million Armenians in 1915-1916 in an all out genocide and to this day deny it of ever happening. Alot of the turkish mausers that are out there are from this period, both sets of my great grandparents were butchered in the genocide and my grandparents on both my dads side and my mothers side became refugees, my dads mother was 15 at the time and watched my great grandmother get her throat cut. Anywho i just want a K98 to fill in a somewhat of a gap in my collection thats all and figured i'd ask you guys before i go to another board. McM
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:19:31 AM EDT
[#5]
If you want something with matching numbers expect to pay substantially more than for a russian capture. I don't know specific dates, but from what I recall, Mausers from earlier in the war were manufactured with better parts than those in the later years (maybe something to do with increased production towards the end of the war).

If you're planning on shooting it i'd go with a good russian capture. It's still a historical piece despite not having matching numbers. Check out empirearms.com, they seem to have good deals, albeit you'll be spending slightly more ($200-300). Either that, or check out local gun shows and shops.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:30:18 AM EDT
[#6]
The RC K98s are the best bet right now, a  lot on gunbroker.

but your reasons behind not buying a turk mauser don't seem justified other than if it's a personal reason, it's not like the millions of German 98s weren't in the hands of similar folk.

and that goes for a lot of arms, mosin nagants are another example...

oh and arisaka rifles.

this has been an issue with some people I've talked to about my collecting arisakas, mausers, and mosin nagants, but specifically the nazi arms.  I think it's part of that, guns kill people, mentality that is so prevelant everywhere in the world, especially in america.  I'm not to found of Israel or Israelis, but I do plan on buying a semi uzi when vector gets another shipment, not to mention I want an Israeli 8mm mauser with Israeli markings.  Sounds weird?  Not really, the gun itself has nothing to do with those who used it.  My grandfather landed on Okinawa with the Marines, and had a negative image of Japanese from his experience, but that didn't stop him from bringing home war trophies, one of which (a bayonet he took off a dead soldier) he gave to me.

but back to nazi mausers.  RC is the only ones I've really been able to afford.  I'm not ready to put down around $1000 for an all matching.  I buy them to burn through ammo, not really as wall hangers.  Plus the RCs are usually in good working/oiled condition when the Russians shipped them out.  Sometimes they'll have frosted bores (although from my experience still accurate) and sometimes shiny bores.  The later war years (like mentioned) tend to lack in quality, kind of like the later war years arisakas.  the fun part of RCs are refinishing (if you're into that stuff).  

-mark
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top