Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2006 6:34:51 PM EDT
I wanna try making my own blades, but can't seem to find steel barstock in the dimensions I want.  I'm looking to make a zombie-chopper, which requires it to be wide (3"-6"), long (28"- 36"), and heavy (3/16"-1/4" thick).  I want it to have a large belly with a heavy, axe-like tip, so I'm hoping to get it around 6" wide so I can get the curve I want.

I want a few bars so I can MAYBE have a finished product by the third try.

NOBODY seems to have what I want online.  Where can I go to get barstock in this dimension range?
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 11:07:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I get all of mine, here.  I use the Timken-Latrobe (Koncor) steel.  Precision-Marshall is also excellent.  However, there are always slight differences among suppliers.  My heat treatment is directed at the Timken product.  I use mostly O1 these days.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 10:56:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Admiral Steel should be able to help you out.  They offer about a dozen different selections including the usual stainless, tool steel, titanium alloys, and their own damascus patterns.

If you send them a drawing of your idea, they can laser cut it onto the steel.   At around $100 for the steel, it might be cheaper to 'get it right' the first time.  You'd only have to grind, temper, sharpen, and clad the knife.

www.admiralsteel.com/products/blades.html
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top