Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2006 5:34:51 PM EST
I wanna try making my own blades, but can't seem to find steel barstock in the dimensions I want. I'm looking to make a zombie-chopper, which requires it to be wide (3"-6"), long (28"- 36"), and heavy (3/16"-1/4" thick). I want it to have a large belly with a heavy, axe-like tip, so I'm hoping to get it around 6" wide so I can get the curve I want.

I want a few bars so I can MAYBE have a finished product by the third try.

NOBODY seems to have what I want online. Where can I go to get barstock in this dimension range?
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 10:07:24 AM EST
I get all of mine, here. I use the Timken-Latrobe (Koncor) steel. Precision-Marshall is also excellent. However, there are always slight differences among suppliers. My heat treatment is directed at the Timken product. I use mostly O1 these days.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:56:56 AM EST

Admiral Steel should be able to help you out. They offer about a dozen different selections including the usual stainless, tool steel, titanium alloys, and their own damascus patterns.

If you send them a drawing of your idea, they can laser cut it onto the steel. At around $100 for the steel, it might be cheaper to 'get it right' the first time. You'd only have to grind, temper, sharpen, and clad the knife.

www.admiralsteel.com/products/blades.html
Page Armory » Blades
Top Top