Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 10:59:26 AM EDT
It seems we are lucky to have such a large amount of C&R guns on the markets today.  The vast majority of these guns are comming indirectly from military warehouses around the world.  Considering that since, about the 60's, just about every non-banana-republic country switched over to a restricted type firearm.  It seems to me, that the days of finding C&R's indirectly from their respective countries wont last forever.  Once this supply ends, C&Rs will come from private owners, meaning no more bargains.  Any thoughts.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#1]
it's been discussed in a few threads here, but you summed up what everyone agreed on.

it's only a matter of time before the surplus market from overseas dries up.

so for now just buy it and stack it deep.  get as much as you can while you can.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:46:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:49:12 AM EDT
[#3]
My question is, when will ar-15s become C&R guns?  They are damn old, same  with the 1911, AKs and the thompson.

--mort
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My question is, when will ar-15s become C&R guns?  They are damn old, same  with the 1911, AKs and the thompson.

--mort

There are C&R 1911's  they just go for $2k+
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:55:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Are all SKS's C&R now, I really still don't understand it, do the sks's have to be 50+ years old or are all sks's C&R?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:18:59 PM EDT
[#6]
as far as i know they should all be c and r now, but i could be wrong
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:36:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

i know albanians arn't, i tried to get one but couldnt.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:42:13 PM EDT
[#8]
The ads claiming the "last of the 98 Mausers/Enfields/fill in the blank" started appearing about fifty years ago.  Haven't run out yet.  Not losing a lot of sleep over it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:31:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Albanians certainly are. I got 3 of them from AIM. The only ones I know of that aren't C&R are Chinese.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:44:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Never.

Remember, anything more than 50 years old is C&R.

Now, the military weapons we know as C&R? Sadly, it's only a matter of time....
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:02:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Never.

Remember, anything more than 50 years old is C&R.

Now, the military weapons we know as C&R? Sadly, it's only a matter of time....

pistols

what about military pistols?

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#12]
The newer (less than 50 years old) SKSs and Makarovs that are C&R were added to the list because they are military models from countries that no longer exist (Yugoslavia, East Germany) or are rare like the Albanians. I believe the Yugos being imported now are currently being produced, and thats the reason for the modification = no longer C&R situation.

Since AR-15s aren't rare for the most part, they probably won't be C&R until they are 50 years old. They could specifically name unique or rare ARs to the list before then, like the earliest Armalites or ones owned by famous people.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:12:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't know when the supply will run out, so I'm going to stock up on everything I can while I canPaul
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:19:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:50:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Maybe you guys misunderstood me.  The rifles like M16s or FALs  and such, will be C&R guns with respect to time.  However, the weapon itself, will never be on the C&R list.  The govt would never let an M16 or such be sold to the public.  In that respect, C&R guns have ceased production a long time ago.  Since the sixties, or so, militarys have only been making weapons like "assualt rifles" which would never be legal to buy with a C&R.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:08:20 PM EDT
[#16]
C&R is C&R is C&R.

There is no need to put it on the list if it meets the time requirements. So why bother?

I completely agree that they will most lieky NOT be put on the list before 50 years. But after the 50 years, the point is moot.

Quoted:
Maybe you guys misunderstood me.  The rifles like M16s or FALs  and such, will be C&R guns with respect to time.  However, the weapon itself, will never be on the C&R list.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:42:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Like NAM says, as long as time continues to move forward everything will become C&R as it meets the 50 year requirement.  Assuming they aren't destroyed, lots of older service pistols and rifles should become available as their respective countries upgrade (full auto excluded).  For example, in the next 10 years, more PP/PPK and STAR pistols will fall under the 50 year rule.

That being said, it is my opinion (which I don't like), that eventually someone will change the law to say that a firearm must be on the "list" (either by make/model or serial number) to qualify as C&R.  I say this because at some point, AR-15s, AK-47s, semi-UZIs and so on will fall under the 50-year loophole (that's what it will be called).  Uneducated types will see C&R transfers as too private and too unrestricted (no background checks)  and there will be a big push to get these types of weapons under 01 FFL transfers (assuming they're not already banned).  As C&R collectors, we need to make sure when AWB-II comes around, our interests are represented as well.

LL
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:31:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Being on the C&R list doesn't matter if it is 50+ years old. Also, some states only allow NFA items if they are C&R. That is one reason why the WWII era NFA guns are so expensive. But if someone had a hypothetical Uzi or AR conversion and NFA registration done in 1956 or earlier, it could be transferred to a purchaser in one of those states. I'm not sure of the specifics, so maybe someone from one of these less free states can confirm this.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:07:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Like NAM says, as long as time continues to move forward everything will become C&R as it meets the 50 year requirement.  
LL

No, what I'm trying to say is that M16's FALs, AKs, etc, (assault rifles) will never be sold to the public through a C&R license.  I'm speaking mainly for rifles, not pistols, since my state doesnt allow pistols to be bought on a C&R anyway.  No country in the world currently uses a standard bolt action or "garand like" rifle which is issued to its troops (at least not that I know) that we will be able to purchase in the future.  Just because a rifle goes past 50 years, does not mean someone will be able to buy it on a C&R license.  If they do, then I'll be in line for an M14 and a FAL!  Besides, even "assualt rifles" are now being destroyed, thanks to the UN.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:43:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Just because a rifle goes past 50 years, does not mean someone will be able to buy it on a C&R license.

Actually, yes they will.

However, Full auto weapons will still fall under the guidelines of the NFA and FOPA of 86.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:07:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just because a rifle goes past 50 years, does not mean someone will be able to buy it on a C&R license.

Actually, yes they will.

However, Full auto weapons will still fall under the guidelines of the NFA and FOPA of 86.

Are you serious?  I always thought that, for example, an AK from Vietnam over 50 years old would still not be importable because of GCA '68.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:11:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Correct.

(forgot to add that GCA '68 in there)

Allow me to elaborate a bit. A transferrable full auto, after 50 years, will be a transferrable full auto.

So, a current issue M4 is not transferrable. Naturally, you're not going to see one as a C&R eligible purchase.

now a transferrable M16, once reaching it's 50 year old mark, then i see no reason why it woudln't be C&R.

If that Vietnam AK was legally imported, and registered, and fully transferable to civilians, then after 50 years, it woudl be C&R.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, yes they will.

Are you serious?  I always thought that, for example, an AK from Vietnam over 50 years old would still not be importable because of GCA '68.  

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:33:18 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Correct.

Allow me to elaborate a bit. A transferrable full auto, after 50 years, will be a transferrable full auto.

If that Vietnam AK was legally imported, and registered, and fully transferable to civilians, then after 50 years, it woudl be C&R.  

OK, How many people here have ordered a full auto weapon on their C&R license?  Raise your hands.  None?   Sheeeeeeeeeesh   Can someone please lock this thread?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:18:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Correct.

OK, How many people here have ordered a full auto weapon on their C&R license?  Raise your hands.  None?   Sheeeeeeeeeesh   Can someone please lock this thread?

It's relatively common for the older MGs, especially in those states where only C&R NFA is allowed. You still have to pay the transfer tax, and send in the form. But after the transfer has been approved, C&R full auto weapons can be transferred interstate directly to the individual, and do not have to go through an in-state dealer FFL. It's not like ordering a mauser from AIM, but it is definitely a C&R transfer.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:26:16 PM EDT
[#25]
L1A1's?

Since these were made S/A only, any chance we will be able to get these C&R? Or will they consider it a FAL and not covered?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:39:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i know albanians arn't, i tried to get one but couldnt.

Possibly because they're not 50 years old and you live in CA don't you?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:19:32 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:OK, How many people here have ordered a full auto weapon on their C&R license?  Raise your hands.  None?   Sheeeeeeeeeesh   Can someone please lock this thread?

I realize this does not address the question at hand but one of the reasons (way down the list of reasons) I got my C&R license was to be able to acquire machine guns if I ever decided to. In my state (Missouri) "licensed collectors" are permitted to purchase and possess machine guns. In other words, holding a FFL03 opens up certain "rights" in Missouri not afforded other, lesser mortals. If I understand state law correctly,  it doesn't matter whether the gun itself is a C&R, just that the licensed collector is one of several priviledged classes of citizens.

The only real stumbling block now is being able to afford one of those bad boys . . .
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:26:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Nothing quite as cool as having UPS deliver a machinegun to your front door.

whoa.......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top