Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2004 6:32:34 PM EDT
The subject says it all...

i'm getting the 308 battle rifle itch... FALs and G3's are in my dreams when i sleep at night!  HELP!  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:14:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Whats the difference between a CETME and a G3?

The same as the difference between a Yugo and a Porsche.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:53:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:53:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Whats the difference between a CETME and a G3?

The same as the difference between a Yugo and a Porsche.

and you figure this ,,,how?

the cetme and the G3(even CENTURY MADE STUFF) are basically the same rifle.
90% of the parts are interchangable. the design is the same.
now i could go on and on in a history of the two, but that has been hased out before here and many other places.
the two rifles are one in the same, The only diff between the two is one is german and one is spanish. the german rifle(G3 91 ect) has the same internals as a cetme BUT they are not interchangeable. The germans changed a few things like  locking piece angles and have different unlocking pressuers for the rollers(why g3'/91's recoil a lil more) 9parts are also of different lengths) BUT still the same design.
The fire control group is also different BUT can be swapped between the two! reciver(on century) rilfes is the same, the grip frame will swap out between the two. as will stocks,sights,FH's,slings buffers,,recoil rods,springs ect.

http://cetme.homestead.com/mbr.html
http://www.robertrtg.com/cetmeinfo.html

the links will show  you the parts and  a compatibality list.

besides the bolt carrier group they are pretty much the same!(century rifles,clones)
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:25:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Some differences:

Recoil spring guide
Recoil stop pin
Buffer unit
Bolt/carrier
Receiver (CETME lacks scope “pad” so no claw mount)
Someone else can list more.

Furniture seems to interchange.  The HK recoil pin guide need to be switched out for the CETME's so the carrier will fit over it.  I also picked up a slim hand guard and it fits great.  (If I am wrong someone post)

If you pick up a CETME inspect it very close.  I have enjoyed my CETME for over a year.  My brother has one as well as two close friends.  The break in time is at least 300 rounds, and all of us have seen the difference in 100, 200, 300 rounds and so on.

The most frustrating thing is the mag do not seat all the way in some of them.  I have to take the mag stops that hit the bottom of the receiver and grind them down so it sits deeper in the mag-well.  The HK mags are so cheap that is all I use.

For the under $400 it has been a very enjoyable battle rifle.  I shoot tons of different ammo, and yes over 1300 rounds of Indian and after it loosened up it shoots great.  It “bumps” awesome

If you do go the CETME route make sure you look it over very closely for problems and don’t get discouraged because they need to break in.  If you hate messing with rifles at all buy a more expensive G3 or a FAL.  

Or as the Missouri Home Town Forum answer is...Buy them all!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top