Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2002 3:28:14 PM EDT
Went looking at A-bolts today and almost snatched up hunter in .308.  What do you guys think of the Brownings?  Lot's of money for the name?  Giid idea? Alternatives?
Thanks as always.

-Craig
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 3:42:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an A bolt stalker in 30-06. It shoots consitant 11/16" 3 shot groups with winchester 165gr psp ammo. It's lite, fast handling and shoots damn well. You couldn't go wrong with one. Good luck in you choice.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 3:43:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I love mine.  I have a stainless stalker in .30-06 without the BOSS.  My dad also has an '06 stainless stalker no BOSS, and a .270 of the same with the BOSS.  Both '06s without the BOSS run a little under 1" (100 yards) from the bench with Remington 150gr core-lokt ammo, the .270 (BOSS) runs about 5/8" (no I'm not joking) with remington ammo.  They are great guns, but yes, a little spendy.  We've never tried other ammo, they might do better even.  But I figured it's not worth messing with if they shoot MOA or better.

The only thing we did was have the triggers worked over by a gunsmith to lighten them just a little.  Now they are about 4 lbs. and break like glass.  Although the trigger in factory form was acceptable, just a little too heavy.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 3:47:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the Browning A-Bolt is one of the *best* mass produced bolt actions made these days.. With the QC problems I hear from the Big three (Win, Rem, and Ruger) Browning looks all that much better. And they seem to shoot REALLY well. Up until recently I had a Medallion in .308. It's the real fancy version. I love the 60 degree bolt throw, and the really comfortable to use bolt handle, made for FAST shooting, for a bolt action. It shot pretty good for having such a skinny barrel, it'd stay under MOA for 3 shots at 100 yards. I couldn't possibly ask more from a deer rifle.  Only reason I sold it was to fund my newest *toy* a revolver. But it was an excellent rifle.

Give the Browning a try, I'm pretty sure you won't regret it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 4:00:15 PM EDT
[#4]
What caliber .308 or 30-06?
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 7:23:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess I'll jump in with something negative. According to some of the more prominent custom rifle guys, specifically Jeff Hicks (formerly of Accuracy Speaks), Charlie Sisk, Norm Chandler, etc., the A-Bolt has some major drawbacks. The factory trigger doesn't lend itself well to reworking, rebarreling one is a major undertaking (seems Miroku also applies an epoxy-like sealant to the barrel threads), and the extractor leaves much to be desired. I'm not necessarily trying to be derogatory, just repeating what these guys have said. Sisk and Hicks post regularly on 24 Hour Campfire. There have been some rather interesting threads over there concerning the A-Bolt. It might be worth your time to do a search and have a look (Hicks posts under the username "celt" and Sisk uses his own name). All of the gunsmiths mentioned are good about responding to information requests via email or whatever.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 8:48:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll chime in here since I sell rifles all day long and own an A-bolt II in 7 mm with the BOSS. I absolutely agree with Juss228.  While Jim_Dandy may have some valid points they are really irrelevant(Although always good to hear another POV).  If you want a custom bolt gun buy a 700 or a model 70, strip it down and have it built from the action up.  Overall the A-Bolt has the best trigger for a mass produced rifle I have ever used, they have a removable box magazine with hinged floor plate.  The trigger is also adjustable from about 6 down to 3 pounds.  The barrels are free floated and they have one of the finest factory synthetic stocks on the market.  The angel of the bolt handle and the degree of throw is faster and more comfortable than any, albeit that is a personal opinion.  I got a bit lucky with my A-bolt, with 140gr Nosler BT's it will shoot 1/3MOA groups and I have shot a variety of ammo from 140-168gr though it and none have averaged over 1MOA.  I would say that is rare for any factory rifle but with good optics and good mounts if you can't find a round for an A-bolt that will group 3/4" @ 100 something is wrong.

In a nutshell, if you want a factory rifle to be very happy with and leave as it is you will not be disappointed, if you want a rifle you are going to tinker with and build up it is not your best bet.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 3:13:33 AM EDT
[#7]
A-Bolt varminter, 308 BOSS, accurate as hell, while breaking in barrel with hornady custom 165's, 3 shot 1" holes at 100 yds.  Took a friend, new shooter to range, third mag 1 hole group 100yds. Once you find the round and dial in the BOSS bingo.  If it's a good price I would recommend it.  If you want to put a lot of aftermarket parts, trigger, stock etc. etc. go Rem 700 or Savage Tactical.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top