Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2009 11:28:42 AM EDT
Maybe a stupid question but I'm curious.

Why is there a small hole in the cap of my Dillon powder hopper? I can only speculate that it's either so the contents can breathe (can't imagine why it needs to). Or, it's there to prevent a vacuum to form by decreasing volumes of powder and consequently affecting the way the powder falls into the powder bar.

Anybody know for sure?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:02:28 PM EDT
[#1]
You have it figured out.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:24:24 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a vent hole, to prevent pressure build up and too help prevent stuck cases.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:12:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

It's a vent hole, to prevent pressure build up and too help prevent stuck cases.

OK, I'll bite.  How could the vent hole in the powder measure possibly prevent stuck cases in the decapping / resizing die??  If you mean a stuck straight wall case in a powder through expander die, the cause of that is something else rather than a pressure build up in the powder measure.

Some times the answers people come up with here baffle me.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:23:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

WTF are you talking about?  Some reloading sizer dies have a vent hole for lube to escape, but THAT DOES NOT PREVENT STUCK CASES!!!!

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:28:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Maybe a stupid question but I'm curious.

Why is there a small hole in the cap of my Dillon powder hopper? I can only speculate that it's either so the contents can breathe (can't imagine why it needs to). Or, it's there to prevent a vacuum to form by decreasing volumes of powder and consequently affecting the way the powder falls into the powder bar.

Anybody know for sure?

To prevent negative air pressure in the hopper?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:46:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I always thought  that the hole was for the powdercheck system?!?  I always tape the hole over with Al duct tape...

skink
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not that familiar with Dillon equipmet, but don't they have a low powder warning system? I would think a rod would go through said hole.

What the hell would be the point of having it there for a vent? I don't believe they would spend the time and materials to create a air-tight seal on their hopper just to drill a hole in it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:34:45 PM EDT
[#8]
No such thing as stupid questions, answers are another story.  It is for the low powder sensor.  

Not a bad investment if you are rocking and rolling but not really paying any attention to the volume left in the measure.  But then again it may help to pay attention if you're reloading
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top