Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2010 9:19:04 AM EDT
Vs the handgun type? (I already have a Ryobi 18V)

I suppose cordless would be nice.

Intended use is primer pocket prep and neck prep.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:35:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Black & Decker?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:41:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Dremel?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:12:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Lyman makes a power deburring tool that comes with the attachments for about $40.  Works as well as any drill (unless you need a new drill).  Personally I prefer the RCBS case prep center, which is also powered.  It's faster since you don't need to change the tool.  The drill tool is cheaper though.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:43:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been googling for a while now and finally figured out why I couldn't find something that should have generated 87m results of what I was thinking about .......... cordless screwdriver lol
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:04:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Having tried most types of hand drills my choice is a bench top drill press.  Plus, I can use it for many other drilling tasks for which a hand drill is not accurate or stable enough.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:16:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought the B&D Pivotdriver cordless screwdriver Link
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:39:35 AM EDT
[#7]
The low RPM of the cordless screwdriver devices may leave you wishing you purchased something else.

jonblack
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:41:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Depends a lot on what else you are going to use the tool for and how much money you have to spent, but as it is with guns, you get what you pay for.  You can get one of the cheaper ones but you will quickly find that they have short battery life and don’t last that long (20-30 years would be about right).  

For tools, I generally gravitate towards the more professional models (none of the ones named thus far falls into that category – sorry!) since I find that “paying once and crying once” is always much better.  The best model probably is a Panasonic with a lithium battery.  Can’t give an exact model since I have not been in the market for a while.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:59:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Having tried most types of hand drills my choice is a bench top drill press.  Plus, I can use it for many other drilling tasks for which a hand drill is not accurate or stable enough.

Harbor Freight for about $50...FTW.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:25:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The low RPM of the cordless screwdriver devices may leave you wishing you purchased something else.

jonblack

Ok ........ low RPM is not ideal.  Did about 20 cases earlier with it after it finally charged up.  Fortunately its fine for annealing brass and of course as a screwdriver.

But the handgun type literally hurts my wrist after just 20-30 cases.  I may have to rig up some type of fixture/base for it lol.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:31:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Here is some of what you might be looking for.  I really need to update this with the latest method we are using with an upside down Harbor Freight drill press, but it you look at the pistol-style black drill and imagine an upside down drill press, you've got hte basic idea.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=300979

We are still seriously considering moving to a single board with three motors on dimmers, but for now we are still just considering.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:59:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the same setup already (PH, LE Wilson tool, etc)

HOLDING the drill is the challenge.

I think I'll get a piece of plywwod and drop long nails/screw and rig some type lever for the switch.

Cheaper than spending $50 on THIS
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:58:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Here is some of what you might be looking for.  I really need to update this with the latest method we are using with an upside down Harbor Freight drill press, but it you look at the pistol-style black drill and imagine an upside down drill press, you've got hte basic idea.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=300979

We are still seriously considering moving to a single board with three motors on dimmers, but for now we are still just considering.

You may or may not know this about dimmers. Typically, they are not to be used with motors. Your basic dimmer is a rheostat that simply "soaks" off voltage. While it does reduce the speed of a motor, it also reduces the torque. Now, there are purpose built dimmers that are designed for motors, and those are marketed as ceiling fan speed control units.

Another option is a "router speed control" from Harbor Freight. To be honest, I have not studied them at all to see if they are the basic rheostat control or more advances PWM control units. You could probably use one of these to control more than one motor, assuming you'd want them at the same speed.

Here's the link

jonblack
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:18:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Can you get a cheapo drill press for under $100 and hook your Possum Hollow to that? Thats what I do. SImple and easy workload
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:57:41 AM EDT
[#15]
This is what I want for case neck turning and it will be better than any drill for case prep operations, oh well, want so much yet so little money

Cant someone with some machine shop tools make these for us for much less than $400, it's just a simple gear driven motor with a 1/2" drill chuck on the end in a nice box with a toggle on/off switch, I cant see it being that hard or expensive to make but they would sell like crazy if they could be made for half price or less and still be a quality tool.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:16:11 AM EDT
[#16]
You could probably make the device above in the $50 range. Cheap variable speed drill, Black and Decker or similar, with keyless chuck, project enclosure, switch, voila! Just make sure you have the enclosure vented to reduce heat.

jonblack
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:24:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Maybe I'll go with P_B's suggestion of using the Dremel and spin it so fast that I can go back in time and get the straight drill instead of screwdriver
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:30:46 AM EDT
[#18]
I use these motors with a simple adapter and speed control, works great
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:02:01 AM EDT
[#19]
As you found out, (me too a couple of years ago), B&D's itty bitty screw drivers don't have the speed or torque to be of much use.  Any variable speed drill works better.

As for how to mount them, all you need is a wood base with holes drilled on each end to mount it to your bench, and plumbers tape and some screws.  A hose clamp around the trigger, screwed in to just the RPM's you like,  and an inexpensive foot switch that goes between the wall socket and the drill's plug makes it a breeze to operate.  

Pumber's tape (galv. steel strapping)Hose Clamp.Footswitch

My setup is a little more elaborate, as I use Forster Trimmer, a pulley and foot pedal, to raise and lower the drill mounted vertically, and a push button momentary switch,  but the principle is the same.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top