Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2012 2:57:50 PM EDT
Looking for the wise and sage advise from those who use an Ultrasonic cleaner on their suppressors and such.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#1]
In the Body Modification Business, we use a product called Alconox.

its an abbrasive powder used to clean Ink and foriegn debree from our utensils. It should clean the fuck outta your silencer without any issues. If you find any dried in your silencer just blow it out with a can of compressed air.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#2]
50/50 mix of purple power and water.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 6:16:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Eats AL,
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 6:49:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Eats AL,

Which One?
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 6:52:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I use ed's red.

ETA on steel/stainless. Aluminum does not go in the ultrasonic.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 7:14:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eats AL,

Which One?

The directions with mine says not to clean aluminum. Others have said the same thing.

Link Posted: 8/24/2012 9:12:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Back in the day...we used freon.  Would get every nook and cranny squeaky clean...:)
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 12:02:27 PM EDT
[#8]

OK, I have seen the tanks large enough to put an entire AR into.  With pictures of the entire AR in them.

Why no AL?

Is it a chemical thing or a structure thing?

This is new to me, just trying to understand.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 12:31:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why no AL?

In some cases....both. Some chemicals are not good for aluminum. Simple Green being one.

And ultrasonic cleaning is typically not recommended for aluminum. If you put a piece of aluminum foil in an ultrasonic cleaner, it will have holes and pits when the cycle is complete. Most state the same will eventually happen to any aluminum parts. I've never tried it, but i'm not about to either.

Link Posted: 8/28/2012 11:43:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why no AL?

In some cases....both. Some chemicals are not good for aluminum. Simple Green being one.

And ultrasonic cleaning is typically not recommended for aluminum. If you put a piece of aluminum foil in an ultrasonic cleaner, it will have holes and pits when the cycle is complete. Most state the same will eventually happen to any aluminum parts. I've never tried it, but i'm not about to either.

Is it the ultrasound that kills the aluminum or the chemicals? I'v heard of people putting aluminum in sonic cleaners with just water and mild detergent.
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 1:56:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why no AL?

Is it the ultrasound that kills the aluminum or the chemicals? I'v heard of people putting aluminum in sonic cleaners with just water and mild detergent.

The cavitation process, even with just water, will damage aluminum.
Link Posted: 8/29/2012 3:48:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I've been using the 50/50 Purple Power and Water mix, but it takes a long time in the Ultrasonic for it to get the baffles clean (3 hours on average for the Octane 9 HD baffles after 500 rounds). Is there any other relatively safe biodegradable solution that might work better?

Link Posted: 8/29/2012 4:51:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've been using the 50/50 Purple Power and Water mix, but it takes a long time in the Ultrasonic for it to get the baffles clean (3 hours on average for the Octane 9 HD baffles after 500 rounds). Is there any other relatively safe biodegradable solution that might work better?  

Soda blasting. Works great. I got a cheap blaster for $15 at the hardware store, and a 5 pound bag of baking soda.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 8:41:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Out of desperation, stuck an aluminum lawnmower carb in 100% purple power for about 8 minutes in an ultrasonic.

Metal started to get fuzzy.  On the plus side the mower now runs great, although it may have just been the O ring seal I replaced between carb and engine.

I am not sure if the foil test really says something thicker would be damaged or not.  I could probably put in a super thin piece of steel and get the same effect.  However, I definitely wouldn't use purple power or anything that attacks aluminum.

Link Posted: 8/30/2012 9:20:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Soda blasting. Works great. I got a cheap blaster for $15 at the hardware store, and a 5 pound bag of baking soda.

I'd be worried about lead dust.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 9:20:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Do you have a sonic cleaner with a heater?
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 9:46:39 AM EDT
[#17]
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26398/Product/ULTRASONIC-CLEANING-SOLUTION-OIL
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 9:57:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

blast cabinet
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

blast cabinet

+1. Blast cabinet, respirator, or both. I don't have a cabinet yet, so I did it outdoors with a good respirator. Plenty of ventilation. Worked beautifully.....until my compressor started spitting moisture. lol..nothing a filter didn't fix though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 10:43:21 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you have a sonic cleaner with a heater?

Yep. I'm using the Hornady Magnum (Lock & Load) 3 Liter tank. Temp control goes up to 140F, but the actual temp inside climbs between 155-160 with the Ultrasonic turned on.

I don't have a compressor, a garage, or a blasting cabinet, so really I'm looking for a better tank solution (not to be confused with solution: an answer to a problem) than Purple Power and water.

Not really interested in paying $50-$90 for a branded jug of wonder cleaner either. Just fishing for ideas I suppose.

Link Posted: 8/30/2012 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Link mentions putting the flammable liquid in a sealed container and running the unit with water, saw this mentioned other places too.  You could easily fit baffles in a glass jar or a metal water bottle.  Not sure plastic would stand up to all solvents.   However, if its aggressive enough to eat through plastic, you might want a small amount vs. 16 oz water bottle.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-269545.html
Link Posted: 8/31/2012 5:56:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Soda blasting is the way to go.  It's cheap, easy, and removes 100% of the lead and carbon quickly without damaging aluminum.

I use my take apart .45 can on .40's, .45's and .22 and clean it every 6-12 months.  I clean the mounts much more often.  I can completely clean a mount in about 60 seconds.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top