Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2006 5:26:10 AM EDT
Hey guys.  I need some help please.

I have a G1 FAL built on a Coonan receiver.  Kit was assembled in January of 2003.  Last year I was shooting my FAL.  I noticed that about half way through my range session something didn't "feel" right.  When I got home I cleaned the rifle, took the handguards off, and noticed that the barrel had bulged about 3" back of the gas block.  Figuring the rifle was unsafe to shoot, I put it into the back of my vault.  Since spring is almost here, I decided that it was time to rebarrel and get the FAL back in service.  I contacted several FAL smiths in MN.  They all told me that by the time I buy a new barrel and have it installed that I would be better off just buying a new complete upper.

So, what do you think I should do?  Buy a new upper, just pay to have a new barrel put on my upper?  How much do you think I could get if I were to sell my old upper?  

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Brad
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:49:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, the market for FALs has made some wild changes since your rifle was built. G1 barrels as well as Coonan receivers bring a premium now.
3 years ago complete G1 kits were sold for $100 each. A surplus G1 barrel in good condition will bring $200 alone now.  A used Coonan will bring $300 or so.

If you enjoy your FAL, keep the Coonan and put an StG 58 barrel on it. DS Arms sell them for $100. Gun Parts Guy is selling excellent quality US made barrels.

www.gunpartsguy.com
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:50:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Stripped upper is probably gonna sell for $300+. You are not gonna get a complete upper for less than the cost of re-barrelling the one you have.
Visit theFALfiles, contact some of the 'smiths there. Try to find a member in your area that has the tools to swap a barrel. Then pick up a barrel from the marketplace.
Are you sure the 'smiths you spoke to are familiar with the FAL?
Right now the upper receiver is the hardest part to get and the Coonan is not in production at all.

Good luck with your fix.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:47:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep, I was going to say the same thing.  Gun Parts Guy has US build barrels.

Good reviews so far.

Of course if it were mine, I'd make a bee line to DSA for their 13 inch barrel assembly with perm. Browning FH.  But that's just me.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:26:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:28:29 AM EDT
[#5]
During lunch I contacted gunpartsguy (I forgot to ask his name!).  I explained my situation, and this is what he suggests.   He can hook me up w/ a barrel and muzzle device.  He has a builder in OH.  He can send the barrel / muzzle device there, I can send my FAL there, and he will attach the barrel, refinish the rifle, and send back.  If I use my current gas block, including return shipping, I am looking at $475 ($209 for barrel, $25 for muzzle device, $220 for build / refinish, $20 return shipping).  I have about $500 in the FAL now.  What do you think?  Good deal?  I figure if I am going to do this, I might as well get a good barrel.

Any comments are appreciated!

Brad
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:18:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
During lunch I contacted gunpartsguy (I forgot to ask his name!).  I explained my situation, and this is what he suggests.   He can hook me up w/ a barrel and muzzle device.  He has a builder in OH.  He can send the barrel / muzzle device there, I can send my FAL there, and he will attach the barrel, refinish the rifle, and send back.  If I use my current gas block, including return shipping, I am looking at $475 ($209 for barrel, $25 for muzzle device, $220 for build / refinish, $20 return shipping).  I have about $500 in the FAL now.  What do you think?  Good deal?  I figure if I am going to do this, I might as well get a good barrel.

Any comments are appreciated!

Brad

James is the GPG. His barrels are excellant.
Do you really need to "build/refinish"? Or just send the upper to get re-barreled and re-headspaced? Either way, it will be a totally different gun when it gets back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top