Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2002 4:21:12 PM EDT
What exactly does a forward assist do?  Is thier really a need for one? Should it be used? Im sure the last two are up for debate, but i would appriciate some info on the first question.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Basically it is to jam a round in the chamber in the heat of combat, otherwise it is used to make sure the gun went into battery after charging it.
GG
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 4:34:44 PM EDT
[#2]
If SHTF for me, I would use it.  If there's ever a jamming problem, it should correct it.  I wouldn't use it if my life was not being threatened by a hostile individual.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 4:43:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Have never had to use it but I would probably remove the offending casing rather than jam it in since it may be damaged. Just my .02 cents.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 5:06:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Theoretically speaking of course, if I was in combat, pinned down, in an extended firefight, rifle was getting junked up and didn't want to go into battery, and clearing a round didn't fix it (still cruded up) I think I just might try that forward assist button
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 6:30:32 PM EDT
[#5]
If an M1 or M14 gets too dirty to go into battery, you can thumb the bolt closed by pushing forward on the op rod.

My understanding is that the Marines refused to adopt the little black gun until something similar was put into place.  That's when they came up with the forward bolt assist.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#6]
you can also use it where if'n you had to 'silently' work the action (without pulling back on the charging handle and RELEASING it.), you could use it to close or make sure the bolt was in battery.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 6:50:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Forward assist is good for a couple of things. If you are checking for a loaded chamber you can use the FA to fully close the bolt. If you want to chamber a round with a little less noise you can ride the charging handle forward and use the FA to seat the bolt.  Otherwise, I think forcing a round into the chamber that won't go in on it's own is a bad idea.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 5:29:36 AM EDT
[#8]
we have gone down this road b4..........., BUT !!

i use my FA everytyme i drop the bolt, just a gentle push is good insurance & knowing the bolt is ALL the way closed is satisfying....

i will also say that any AR owner/shooter who has NEVER used his/her FA.., does very lyttle shooting......if any
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 5:38:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Iy'd hayfe to say that ife yew yewse the FA every tyme yew clowse thee bowlt, yew are in need owf sum loobricashun or sum trayning.  Yew kan jam a rownd in the chaymber and never get it ouwt.

Link Posted: 6/26/2002 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
you can also use it where if'n you had to 'silently' work the action (without pulling back on the charging handle and RELEASING it.), you could use it to close or make sure the bolt was in battery.  

I think you use the little indent in the bolt carrier for that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top