Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2005 4:15:53 AM EDT
I'm 99% on getting one from teh EE and I'm thinking of a 20 round mag, and a scout IER scope up front.  Nice and light, quick to shoulder, good idea or should I go with a regular scope?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:17:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I assume you're referring to the M17S Bushmaster.

Yes, it should be a great scout rifle.  Compact, very quick handling, etc.  As everyone is so fond of pointing out, mag changes could be slower (until you re-learn your mag change techique) and you'd be dependent on optics, but even with those considerations I don't see any real reasons not to use it as a scout rifle.

It's advantages would be handling, especially in close quarters, the velocity its long barrel provides, and the reliability of the action.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:30:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't dream of even looking at a M17 without having a prepaid trip to Florida to see KKF.

Don't forget to vent that handguard too......gets hot fast.

I could go on and on....

but yeah, it'd work as a scout rifle.

But what's nice and light and quick to shoulder.....the M17????  

If you're talking about the scope I think that'd be a great idea.  In any case good luck with the project.  Post pics!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:33:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:47:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I wouldn't dream of even looking at a M17 without having a prepaid trip to Florida to see KKF.

Don't forget to vent that handguard too......gets hot fast.

I could go on and on....

but yeah, it'd work as a scout rifle.

But what's nice and light and quick to shoulder.....the M17????  

If you're talking about the scope I think that'd be a great idea.  In any case good luck with the project.  Post pics!

the one I'm buying (already committed to actually) is the KKF from the EE.  I was gonna buy one and send it, but seller is offerring it with everything I would've had done except maybe the cheekpiece.  But I can live without that.  HE's asking no morethan it would cost me to buy it and send it.  This way I don't have to wait.  I was gonna get a piston gun anyway, but would rahter have a custom professionally done firearm (m17) then get my second choice (ar180b) and hack the hell out of it!

here's the lucky girl:

I'm probably gonna go with something like an NSN acog as that'll give me something of a buis too.  The eye relief issue with a scout scope is a little too 'not perfect'.  But I gotta tell you, on my MRP I have a mepro reflex in teh scout position and I love it.  I keep my buis on the MRP forward also.  Something about that extra eye relief that just seems to work quicker.......

The only other optic I think I'd want to look at would be the 3X ior.  I think a compact acog (which I've had and for AR's is great) would be unnecesarily limitiung myself in terms of objective and reticle usefullness.  This is a 20+ inch barrel and I intend to use it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top