Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/31/2005 4:15:53 AM EDT
I'm 99% on getting one from teh EE and I'm thinking of a 20 round mag, and a scout IER scope up front. Nice and light, quick to shoulder, good idea or should I go with a regular scope?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:17:43 AM EDT
I assume you're referring to the M17S Bushmaster.

Yes, it should be a great scout rifle. Compact, very quick handling, etc. As everyone is so fond of pointing out, mag changes could be slower (until you re-learn your mag change techique) and you'd be dependent on optics, but even with those considerations I don't see any real reasons not to use it as a scout rifle.

It's advantages would be handling, especially in close quarters, the velocity its long barrel provides, and the reliability of the action.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:30:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 7:32:38 AM EDT by Hokie]
I wouldn't dream of even looking at a M17 without having a prepaid trip to Florida to see KKF.

Don't forget to vent that handguard too......gets hot fast.

I could go on and on....

but yeah, it'd work as a scout rifle.

But what's nice and light and quick to shoulder.....the M17????

If you're talking about the scope I think that'd be a great idea. In any case good luck with the project. Post pics!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:33:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 7:37:10 AM EDT by raf]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:47:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Hokie:
I wouldn't dream of even looking at a M17 without having a prepaid trip to Florida to see KKF.

Don't forget to vent that handguard too......gets hot fast.

I could go on and on....

but yeah, it'd work as a scout rifle.

But what's nice and light and quick to shoulder.....the M17????

If you're talking about the scope I think that'd be a great idea. In any case good luck with the project. Post pics!

the one I'm buying (already committed to actually) is the KKF from the EE. I was gonna buy one and send it, but seller is offerring it with everything I would've had done except maybe the cheekpiece. But I can live without that. HE's asking no morethan it would cost me to buy it and send it. This way I don't have to wait. I was gonna get a piston gun anyway, but would rahter have a custom professionally done firearm (m17) then get my second choice (ar180b) and hack the hell out of it!

here's the lucky girl:

I'm probably gonna go with something like an NSN acog as that'll give me something of a buis too. The eye relief issue with a scout scope is a little too 'not perfect'. But I gotta tell you, on my MRP I have a mepro reflex in teh scout position and I love it. I keep my buis on the MRP forward also. Something about that extra eye relief that just seems to work quicker.......

The only other optic I think I'd want to look at would be the 3X ior. I think a compact acog (which I've had and for AR's is great) would be unnecesarily limitiung myself in terms of objective and reticle usefullness. This is a 20+ inch barrel and I intend to use it!
Top Top