Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2017 9:27:34 AM EDT
Gov. Chickenpooper here in the altered state of Colorado has signed a bill into law legalizing automatic knives and switchblades. Starting in August I can buy and own an automatic knife. Now if only we can do that with magazines

If I want to carry the knife(I most certainly do), I am stuck with a blade of 3.5" or less.

I have been carrying and using variants of the CRKT M16Z for over a decade, to give y'all an idea of my very limited knife experience. I like how securely the design locks, and how I can open, lock/unlock, and close it entirely one handed.

So here are the features I desire:
Totally one handed operation
Blade of 3.5" or less

School me on auto knives, so when August rolls around I can get the right one.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:29:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Benchmade AFO II
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:32:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Benchmade Stryker Auto.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:50:33 AM EDT
[#3]
The two suggestions so far do not meet the legal requirements due  to length. Unless those model names are offered in multiple blade lengths.  I believe Colorado law specifies less that 3.5 for a carry knife but I am not speaking from any experience on the matter.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:35:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Benchmade 3550/Stimulus.  Best auto I've owned.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm cheap, I carry a Boker Kalashnikov Auto. It has served me well.

At least when I go on vacation to CO now I  can take it with me. 
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:47:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Take a look at the Kershaw-Launch.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:53:10 AM EDT
[#7]
IMHO auto knives look cool but are seldom as strong as other folders which are also not as strong as a fixed blade.

I like Zero Tolerance, Emerson and Spyderco for most things.

Never found the autos to be as quick to retrieve and find the button in a hurry as a "wave" design, flipper or thumb hole
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 3:20:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Mini Auto Stryker not the regular Auto Stryker- Own one of each and love them. Meets the length requirement as stated above.
Mini-Reflex II- Just bought one for the lady and will probably get another one just to have.

I prefer push-button Autos over the Auto Axis knives too.

After owning many Benchmade Autos, they are always one of my first suggestion.

There are more blades from Benchmade that are under 3.5", those are just ones I care for and own in this size range.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:31:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you for the suggestions. It will get my research and savings off in the right direction.

Colorado is still sub 3.5" blade for a carry knife, the new bill doesn't change that.

I certainly get that fixed blades are ideal, I used to conceal a TDI (the small one) when I worked an armed security job. My favorite hunting knife is fixed too. Folders will always be a compromise of some sort.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:02:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you for the suggestions. It will get my research and savings off in the right direction.

Colorado is still sub 3.5" blade for a carry knife, the new bill doesn't change that.

I certainly get that fixed blades are ideal, I used to conceal a TDI (the small one) when I worked an armed security job. My favorite hunting knife is fixed too. Folders will always be a compromise of some sort.
View Quote
What's your budget?

I got into autos 20 years back and have collected some Boker and Hubertus level locks like the 712, 715 Bokers and their SpeedLock II.  I've got an old Dalton California Special, a Paragon before they crapped out and an original BM AFO 9000S without safety.

They're fun for a bit, but due to price, you're probably not going to want to beat on one.

I've always fancied the MicroTech FireAnt Makora OTF automatic, but they've been out of production and hard to find.  At $400+, they're not cheap, even if I could find one.  Evidently Adams International has one for $400!  Yay...I'm broke!

Chris
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:04:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I have nicer autos but have been carrying my Boker Kalishnikov almost exclusively for the past year. It has really grown on me.

It still functions perfectly, is easy to sharpen and holds an edge reasonably well.

Just measured the blade at 3.25".

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 2:44:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Can rarely go wrong with a Protech, lots of choices.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 2:06:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Budget, looking under $300. The OTF double action knives are pretty sexy, but not sure I'd want to EDC one. In my mind they are certainly the ultimate expression of an automatic knife, I spent a few minutes drooling over the Benchmade OTFs online. That Microtech Makora Chris posted is gorgeous too.

As far as knife strength goes, I don't really do anything too hard on a knife, just ordinary cutting tasks, and a little plastic carving for work.

So far I've looked at the Boker Kalashnikov, and a bunch of Benchmade stuff online.  I'd prefer to have something with a safety, something tells me having one spring open in a pocket is not ideal.

I'm really impressed with the Benchmade Casbah, it is new for this year I think. I can get a plain edge, length is legal for me, and it has color options for the grip, the blue looks kind of cool. It has a lock or safety too. The street price seems to be $160ish online. Made in the USA is nice too.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 7:20:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I am sooooooooooooooo goddamn happy this passed! I honestly didn't even know it was a thing until my (liberal) wife told me and asked my opinion on it. Once I explained the ban was Hollywood BS and explained some situations where one would be handy (although I did say I think spring assisted ones are likely stronger and almost as easy to open) she was onboard. 

That being said I still want to buy an Infidel in the near future.  Anyone have much exp with them? Likely wont be an EDC knife, and while I know they are generally weaker overall I really want an OTF knife. Benchmade has been more or less my goto for knives until recently when I got my first Spyderco, but I'm open as long as it's a respectable company and good quality. 
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 8:30:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Just so you're aware...  The new law doesn't go into effect until roughly August 15th...

Until then, it's still illegal to carry an auto...
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:26:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 2:13:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

So here are the features I desire:
Totally one handed operation
Blade of 3.5" or less
View Quote

one-hand operation will limit you to OTF autos to the best of my knowledge.

OTF knives with < 3.5" blade
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 2:17:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Bench made CLA for EDC
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:37:35 PM EDT
[#19]
If it were legal for me to carry an auto and I was restricted to sub 3.5", I'd be looking pretty hard at the Benchmade Mini-Infidel.  Pricey, but I've been very impressed with Benchmades and it sure looks handy.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:03:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The two suggestions so far do not meet the legal requirements due  to length. Unless those model names are offered in multiple blade lengths.  I believe Colorado law specifies less that 3.5 for a carry knife but I am not speaking from any experience on the matter.
View Quote
Yes, 3.5" and no double edged knives.  Open carry is different, OP is looking for a carry knife.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:20:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
one-hand operation will limit you to OTF autos to the best of my knowledge.
View Quote
I can easily close my button-locks one-handed (just press the dull side of the blade against your jeans or whatever).
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:28:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Kershaw Launch 1 and don't look back!

S/F

Al
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:17:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I can easily close my button-locks one-handed (just press the dull side of the blade against your jeans or whatever).
View Quote
for some reason i'm not comfortable with that method (and don't consider it pure one-handed operation), but it may very well work for the OP.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:30:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Microtech UTX-85 is my first recommendation. It's the perfect size to actually carry with you every day and they are waaaaay more capable than people give them credit for. They just need a little TLC every now and then. The Microtech Ultratech is my second recommendation; you may prefer it if you have BIG hands, but I have average hands and carry in a cargo pocket so the UTX-85 gets the nod.

If you are looking for a side-opener, I think that Pro-Tech makes some amazing knives and the TR3 and Godson are my favorites out of their lineup.

When it comes to auto knives, the Microtechs and Pro-Techs do not leave me wanting.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top