Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2006 8:28:34 PM EDT
What does everyone recommend for the best knee pads.

Not interested in Blackhawk or any China made shit.

Scott
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:30:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I wore Hatch while in both Kosovo and Afghanistan, and they worked well enough for me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:51:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I have some Alta's... they are the only pair I've ever had that actually stay on your knees.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:51:54 PM EDT
[#3]
The best by far that I've used are the Alta's w/ the Alta-Lok!  Very comfortable and fast to put on and take off.  I had a pair of Hatch before that the straps just tore off from the knee pad.  Granted that set of knee pads was with me for years, but it literally ripped off.  Not to mention, the fucken velcro straps has a tendency to want to come off.    Never again.  I even had the Blackhawk ones too, but those just felt shitty IMO.  Go with the ALTAs, as Joe would say "BEST DAMN KNEE PADS!" period.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:49:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Take a GI-issued foam sleeping mat.

Cut out appropriately-sized rectangles.

Insert into the knee and elbow reinforcements of the BDU.

Thanks to Mike Sparks for the idea.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:59:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Ditto, ALTA comments, luv mine.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:13:50 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 for ALTA
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:11:02 AM EDT
[#7]
What color does everyone prefer?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:13:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Have used Alta for over 3 years. They're the only ones that actually stay put.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:18:26 PM EDT
[#9]
we got issued some woodland camo ones that were like skateboard knee pads.  had wide neoprene straps w/velcro, and another heavy duty nylon strap.  they worked great, and made a nice pillow.  i have used the altas with buckle for light duty, they tend to loosen, id attach velcro to the slack as well for hard use.  if i was going to buy a new pair of kneepads, id try the soft neoprene ones.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:39:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

That is ok....however (as I have repeated many times on this issue), if you are weaing these pads in a firearms environment, you need a hard plastic shell. Why? Imagine kneeling down, with all of your weight, onto an upright shell casing.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:33:29 PM EDT
[#11]

That is ok....however (as I have repeated many times on this issue), if you are weaing these pads in a firearms environment, you need a hard plastic shell. Why? Imagine kneeling down, with all of your weight, onto an upright shell casing.

True, but I prefer straight foam pads and they also allow for silent movement.  I can't say I've done that much shooting and staying in the same place very often.  Besides what's the chance a shell is gonna land straight up, if that happens to me I know my lucks already ran out, my injured knee is gonna be the least of my problems
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:50:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#13]
these are the ones i was issued back in the day.  they must still be around.  cannot find them or manufacturer though.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:57:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

How to you insert them in the BDUs?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:12:16 PM EDT
[#15]
KP's kick the crap out of the Altas.  They won't shift around at all.

http://www.kpindustries.com/
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:35:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
What color does everyone prefer?

Come on man, do you buy Colt stuff because it looks cool, or because it works?    If you're using them, they'll get scuffed & dirty pretty quick.  

Coyote @ SKD Tactical  - Just bought some of these (my black ones were in storage and I wanted some pads for a class.)  
ACU/UCP @ Tactical Tailor
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:12:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How to you insert them in the BDUs?

Cut the inside of the pant leg where the knee reinforcement is.  Near the top of the seam of course.

Only problem is if you take a knee and land on something hard.  Doesn't have to be a shell casing sticking straight up.  Even one on it's side might hurt, and I'm thinking more about rocks anway.  Especially ones that aren't nice and flat, either pointed, or even round.  Not fun to kneel on quickly.

You could double up the foam to make them thicker too.  Make sure your knees, and the knee reenforcement panels are in the same place.  If you're wearing pants that are too long, they will end up too low for you.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:06:03 PM EDT
[#18]
btt

Anyone else prefer anything else.

Does anyone have a preferance on what color?

I think black or tan for me.  Tan because it is brown around here about 2/3 of the year.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:49:57 PM EDT
[#19]
od or coyote or acu.  black is too dark, and tan too light.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:57:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Okay when did color become a factor other than for camo reasons?
Only because I never worried if it would clash with my Carhartts.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:14:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a pair of Hatch Centurion kneepads that I took to iraq with me and they worked good. I heard the Blackhawk Neoprene kneepads are pretty good too.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:23:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Okay, I'm looking at the alta and KP Industries knee pads. Anyone tried both and have a preference?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:18:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Mine are from Gall's and are OD. I like em.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:29:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 7:33:12 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I've used Altas wiht buckles for classes for a few years now. They are the same ones that carpet installers use. I bought them from lightfighter and waited months and monthes to get them, I should have gone to Lowe's instead. Teh package is even the same, the ones from Lightfighter have a picture of a guy laying lineoleum on them.

+1

Krylon them whatever matches your area and you're GTG
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:32:00 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
these are the ones i was issued back in the day.  they must still be around.  cannot find them or manufacturer though.
www.hunt101.com/img/390808.jpg

I believe they are Bijans(KEP).  They're popping up all over the web as "Official Issue" in knee/elbow sets new in the $20 range.  Did they have a neoprene wrap around sorta deal with the back strap?  I've never heard anything good/bad about them when compared to say the Altas.

I've been using a set of pads for about 3 years now from Home Depot, they're exactally like the Altas, and have held up for 4 different carbine classes.  Oh, and they'll take Krylon  just fine.

Tom  

ETA:  spelling and identification of the Bijan/KEP pads.  Called an Army buddy and he confirmed.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 3:06:51 PM EDT
[#27]
I got Hatch, I use at a monthly match. They are decent. Sometimes they fall down. I wear them about 8 hrs once a month.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top