Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2009 12:23:18 PM EDT
I saw a nice one at the show this weekend. I'd only seen one or two before and they were always out of my price range. I'd seen one for $5,000 and one for $3500 several years ago. Since then the prices have gone up a little, but not more than a grand or two. I've seen them on Gunbroker for $6-7k. Sometimes as high as $8k, so you can imagine my surprise at this conversation...

Me: How much for the Webley?

Guy: Fourteen thousand.

Me: Wait, what? How much?

Guy: Fourteen thousand.

Me: With four zeros?

Guy: That's a Webley-Fosbury, mate! Very rare!

Me: Uhh, not $14,000 rare.

Guy: I take credit cards.

Me: Oh, I bet you do.

Guy: You won't see many of these around.

Me: I've seen a few, but for around 5 grand, sometimes a little more.

Guy: Must have been a long time ago.

Me: No, not really. Hey, if you can move that for $14k, more power to you.

He probably bought it for a pittance and has no motivation to sell it, so he's just going to see how much he can wring out of it. The thing is, anyone in the market for a W-F is going to know the market value, and won't touch it at his asking price. The only way he'll see $14k is if someone with a LOT of money and no common sense comes along and decides they can't live without it.

I just don't understand people sometimes.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:31:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Whatever the market will pay... Still...

I saw a plain-jane 1903 Springfield selling for $3k. I looked it over, trying to see what was so special about it. Looked over it twice again just to make sure. Some wealthy, uninformed guy may actually buy that some day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top