Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2006 8:10:18 AM EDT
If any of you guys are thinking about buying the HK, G3 folding stock listed on Sportsmans guide, don't.  I just received mine today and it is absolute junk.  It won't go on my  PTR 91 and the folding mechanism won't work without extream pressure (how can that be tactical?)  Please don't make the mistake that I did.    Now I've got to send it back and hope to get a retractable or folder from Choate.  Take care.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:40:33 AM EDT
[#1]
And here it is......

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:25:56 AM EDT
[#2]
well, thanks for taking one for the team....
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:35:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:19:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't forget the ACE stock, it can be setup to fold to the left or right and has the option of a rubber buttpad.  If I remember correctly it can be trimmed to a different lenght, the Choate is a bit on the long side about an inch or so longer than the factory fixed stock.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:50:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Glad you posted that I was about to order mine
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:52:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
the Choate is a bit on the long side about an inch or so longer than the factory fixed stock.

The Choate stocks can also be some what problematic, as in being crooked when in the open position.  I've heard more of than one ocassion (twice in one instance) where it had to be exchanged for another to solve the problem.

Personally, if I were to go with a non HK stock, I would look to ACE.

YMMV
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:51:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had 2 Choate folders and they have been a good stock for the money.
No problems here.

They may not be as "cool" looking or as "tactical" appearing as the factory or other aftermarket
stocks but they are comfortable shooting for me.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:24:05 AM EDT
[#8]
IMHO, the only worthy stock for a G3 style rifle is the factory retractable stock.  Its more compact than side folders and is solid.  Can be had for a decent cost too.  It's designed around the G3 and is almost nonexistant when locked closed.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:33:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
IMHO, the only worthy stock for a G3 style rifle is the factory retractable stock.  Its more compact than side folders and is solid.  Can be had for a decent cost too.  It's designed around the G3 and is almost nonexistant when locked closed.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:12:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
the Choate is a bit on the long side about an inch or so longer than the factory fixed stock.

Personally, if I were to go with a non HK stock, I would look to ACE.

YMMV

My thoughts also.  A3 then the shorty AKFX from Ace.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:32:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I have three Choat stocks, two of them are crooked.  The third one was crooked too, but I bought it at the SAR show and was able to return it and pick one out of the bunch that was straight (most of them were crooked too!)
It's not a good idea to buy one sight unseen, better to do it in person so you can eye ball what yer gettin'
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:12:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Has anyone tried the AR wanna-be retractable stock from TAPCO??

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:27:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Why go to all this trouble when you can buy a factory retracting one from Robert RTG pretty reasonably...
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:46:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Why go to all this trouble when you can buy a factory retracting one from Robert RTG pretty reasonably...""

Because his add says they are out of stock, unless you know otherwise.  Please let me know if there is a good supply of new retractable stocks and I will buy one.

Thanks for all your replies (especially about the Choate stocks, I may hold off on them too.)
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:31:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Why not go to www.centerfiresystems.com and pay $139 for a sliding G3 stock?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:33:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Has anyone tried the AR wanna-be retractable stock from TAPCO??

www.tapco.com/item_pics/md/STK30105G_md.jpg

Never tried one on an HK type.  I've tried it on an AK and it works fine though the AK purists hate it when you put AR parts on an AK.  It doesn't matter that it may actually improve the platform.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:25:03 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed.

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top