Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2009 11:44:06 AM EDT
here's some pictures of a WWII Japanese sword, brought back from the Pacific by my uncle. I don't know anything about it. i've taken the handle off, (it's missing the wood dowel which held the handle on) and there is some faint japanese characters but i can't make them out without cleaning it somehow and not sure I want to do that.  It is RAZOR freaking sharp that is for sure.

The other knife was my fathers, brought home from germany at the end of WWII, it's marked Cattaraugus 2250 and it looks like the original scabbard.

[

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:13:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Depending on the maker of the sword it could be worth big money.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:28:03 PM EDT
[#2]
...DO NOT clean off the rust on the nakago!!!!!....if it is signed it can be researched easily, that is an officers Gunto....in what appears to be original polish, the copper Habaki is very nice on that one and looks like it may be an original blade accepted for service...bear in mind even being signed the signature may be a fake...that is not a bad thing however, Ge mei is sometimes desireable, typically production Gunto sell for 8-1500$ depending...i have a few and thats a nice one, the Showa Gunto are starting to be appreciated more these days...nice find....

ETA..it is missing the Mekugi (pin) which on that sword should be a brass screw and nut,traditional swords used Susudaki or smoked bamboo pegs
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top