Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2007 11:56:16 PM EDT
Ok I have asked around at the local gun store and such and most of the time I can't find anyone that knows if there is a suppressor made for a 12ga. I figure someone on hear has to know. I saw the movie "No Country for Old Men" the other night. Good movie if you're interested in it. Anyway... the hit man in the movie had what looked like either an 1187 or M1S90 with a huge silver can on the end. And from that point on I just said to myself if this is possible... I have to have one. It looked integral as it started right at the factory mag tube (4 or 5 shot mark) and continued out to about a total barrel length of 18 to 20 inches. So is it movie magic or does anyone know where I can find a load of info on a suppressed 12ga.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 12:04:48 AM EDT
[#1]
talk to tony at tromix. i'm pretty sure he made one. if i recall correctly, its performance was less than ideal, but it did work.
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 12:38:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Can't use baffles with shot, so I suppose if you ported the shit out to the barrel and put a baffled can over the ported part, it might quiet things down a bit.

I saw something a while back that had a huge ported extension attached to the end of the barrel that was quite effective.  Problem was, the "silencer" was about 3 feet long.
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 9:37:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Tromix/Tony has made one.  I went by the shop a month or two ago and got a look at it.
I am on the list but there is no time frame for production.  But, I am confident it will happen.
I just got an 8" shorty built by him and that will be the host gun for the can.
He said it did quiet down the gun and made the recoil very managable.
That was enough for me to order.
It is 10" long.  The prototype was made out of steel but the production can will have an aluminum tube.
I think this is the link to the thread on the Saiga site.  It has pics.

forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=16371
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 10:39:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Would it even work with anything other then a slug?
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 4:13:01 PM EDT
[#5]
from what I have heard is that they are less than ideal
Maybe Tromix will succed where others have not or just lost interest.

I have seen specaily made 12ga ammo that will quite it down..
Special cartridge....
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 7:43:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Can't use baffles with shot, so I suppose if you ported the shit out to the barrel and put a baffled can over the ported part, it might quiet things down a bit.

I saw something a while back that had a huge ported extension attached to the end of the barrel that was quite effective.  Problem was, the "silencer" was about 3 feet long.

I have one of those for my Benelli. They do work, but are a little hard to move with.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 6:26:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Last time I looked (several years ago), most shotgun suppressors were being made in Europe, where in some countries suppressors are actually required by law for hunters.  There were one or two manufacturers in the UK and I just found these guys in Denmark.

Every once in a while we think about developing something.  Would be very useful for police work as the report from a shotgun inside a building can be temporarily debilitating for LEOs.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 6:51:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I was at the TROMIX shop a week or two ago and he is still planning on making them, just trying to catch up on his backlog.  Last count he had over 300 people on the list to have their guns modified.
I don't care how fast you work, that will take a while and the suppressor just isn't a priority right now.
Tony said that he could make it work right.  If he didn't think it would work he would just say so, no bones about it.
I am patient......especially when it comes to class III.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 7:21:46 AM EDT
[#9]
You can shoot bird, slug or buck with the Tromix design, and it even accepts chokes.

Here it is on an 8" SBS...you can shoot it without ear protection.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:48:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Seems like you could make a barrel extension that threaded in like a choke and was micro ported nine ways to sunday and then have silencer that threaded onto that. Then you could use whatever shot you wanted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top