Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2006 5:39:56 PM EDT
WTK When it is described that there is light frosting in the barrel.

What does this mean?

I am not familiar with this term.

Any info would be helpful before next possible purchase.

THANKS!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:25:21 PM EDT
[#1]
You know how your windshield looks after a frost during the night?  It sort of looks that way inside the barrel.  Bright but not smooth, almost like the inside of the barrel has a light coating of frost on it.  It is sort of a step above a bore that is rusted and dark when looking through it.  I guess the frosting is sort of a lightly rusted bore that has taken off the polished look but not so bad as to have pits in it to make it look dark and obviously pitted.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:37:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You know how your windshield looks after a frost during the night?  It sort of looks that way inside the barrel.  Bright but not smooth, almost like the inside of the barrel has a light coating of frost on it.  It is sort of a step above a bore that is rusted and dark looking through it.  I guess the frosting is sort of a lightly rusted bore that has taken off the polished look but not so bad as to have pits in it to make it look dark or obviously pitted.

That is a good way to describe frosting.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#3]
THANKS for the info!

Based on what I believe your saying, I guess I should be cautious of a barrel that is frosted.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:16:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Not necessarily.

I have a Russian capture German K98k Mauser that has a dark frosted bore, however it groups quite well.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Not necessarily.

I have a Russian capture German K98k Mauser that has a dark frosted bore, however it groups quite well.

Good point,  I have a Russian 91/30 sniper that has a very ugly bore but will shoot under 2" at 100 yards.  Hard to believe.  Pretty touch old rifles...

Turk
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:48:57 PM EDT
[#6]
"frosting" seems to usually begin in the grooves, so light frosting should have minimal effect on accuracy. rust on the lands seems to be pretty bad for accuracy, though. sometimes barrels can take a curious amount of damage before they suffer loss of accuracy, so the only way to know is to shoot it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:17:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
"frosting" seems to usually begin in the grooves, so light frosting should have minimal effect on accuracy. rust on the lands seems to be pretty bad for accuracy, though. sometimes barrels can take a curious amount of damage before they suffer loss of accuracy, so the only way to know is to shoot it.

No kidding. I've had a few milsurps with barrels that looked like gravel driveways they were pitted so bad, yet they still shot acceptable groups of ~4" at 100yds with surplus ammo. I wouldn't sweat a frosted bore. It will more than likely still shoot fine.
The main problem with corroded bores is that they don't clean up as easily. One thing you can do that has worked for me on several rifles is to lap the bore to polish out most of the roughness. YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top