Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2005 11:39:53 PM EDT
I'm looking for a permenant "trunk gun" for my truck.  Would I be better served with a CX-4 or an UZI?  The CX-4 is probably more PC and I'd have the option to mount an EOTech with ease, but mags are expensive and no reliable 30rnd mags are available.  The UZI has cheap reliable mags available and the barrel can be removed for tighter storage.  What's your opinion?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:39:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Storm.

ETA, the mags aren't that expensive. MecGar 20's are only $23 bucks, and are as good if not better than factories.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:40:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I really like my Vector UZI its a good shooter and I can keep my IMI tucked away.

But if your looking for a PC gun get a Ruger PC-9 or better yet get an M1 carbine  .
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:56:17 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are worried about space and are willing to take off the bbl of the Uzi, the CX4 splits in two parts and it is very easy.

I vote CX4, but that is because I have one and like it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:12:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Why look at a 9mm carbine for a "trunk gun"? I like something with a little more punch.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#5]
IMHO, the UZI makes sense only if it's full auto. I would go with the C4.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:51:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, for a trunk gun, might want more oomph... depending on the situation.  Urban/city and suburban, most likely the only baddies will be the two legged kind. Good 9mm loads should be fine for those, IMHO.

Anything else... might consider an M1 carbine with good softpoint ammo... or maybe a lever action carbine in .357 or .44 Mag.  7-9 rounds in the tube, and a buttstock cartridge carrier for another 6-9 cartridges.  Also won't scare the sheeple too much, either!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:52:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I know it's not a stated option, but you may want to consider a Kel-Tec Sub2K.  There's a few threads about them here and they're pretty popular.  I like mine.  It folds in half making for a very compact gun, and you can get them configured to take standard Glock 17 mags, including the 33 rounders.

-K
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:39:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I own a Vector Uzi and would still tell you to get the Storm or a Sub2000.  

An Uzi is a neat toy, but just too damn heavy and to be honest the ergonomics aren't all that great.  That being said, I do believe they are nearly indestructible and very easy to field strip.  I Hav enot field stripped a Storm, so i can't comment on whether it is as easy.

The Storm gives you a much lighter weight, the ability to share mags with a pistol if you have a Beretta, and rails for optics and lights which are going to probably be useful in the high stress, stuck on the side of the road at night type of situation you are probably going to be using the gun for.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I own a Vector Uzi and would still tell you to get the Storm or a Sub2000.  

An Uzi is a neat toy, but just too damn heavy and to be honest the ergonomics aren't all that great.  That being said, I do believe they are nearly indestructible and very easy to field strip.  I Hav enot field stripped a Storm, so i can't comment on whether it is as easy.

The Storm gives you a much lighter weight, the ability to share mags with a pistol if you have a Beretta, and rails for optics and lights which are going to probably be useful in the high stress, stuck on the side of the road at night type of situation you are probably going to be using the gun for.

The Storm is probably the easiest carbine to field strip I've ever seen. Push one center pin out (by hand), the whole upper and lower come apart. Pull cocking handle out, bolt comes out and from there, by hand, the entire bolt can be taken down.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:01:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm going to be the odd man out here and vote Uzi.

While full auto is best, I am still very fast and accurate with my uzi on semi.

Though of course, if you get a semi uzi, i would suggest you get an SBR version.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:57:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Though of course, if you get a semi uzi, i would suggest you get an SBR version.

Yeah that's the thing about the semi UZI's, you gotta SBR it to not have that loooonnnng barrel sticking out front.
UZI's have decent ergonomics with the short barrel but for a trunk gun I think I'd probably go with the storm. (note that I've only held a storm and haven't shot it but it's a pretty compact, well handling package).

Plus it's cheaper to replace if it ever got stolen and there wouldn't be the hue-and-cry that 'a stolen UZI is on the street, etc etc.'
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:28:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd secomd the lever action carbine or even rifle version.  Friend of mine bought a Winchester 30-30 with surface rust at a pawn shop, cleaned it up and parkerized it all for less than $200.  I'd probably go with a cheap WASR before dropping the money on an Uzi or a Storm.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top