Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 10:59:45 PM EDT
Anyoue use one of those Buffertech buffers in their FAL's? Do they extend the life of the gun?

I do and sometimes my bolt does not close all the way. I starting to think the buffer might be causing this.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:34:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got one, and honestly, I cna't tell if it's doing a damned thing good or bad, so I leave it in there.  As far as your bolt not closing all the way, the buffer will do nothing to effect that.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:31:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Closing or not being held open after the last round? The buffers can cause problems on some receivers with not holding the bolt back on the last round.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:12:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I had one in my carbine and my para.  I had the same BHO problems with the buffer in my para and stop using it.  The BHO still works with a buffer in my carbine, so I still use it.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:05:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one in my DS Arms SA58 carbine and it has not given me any problems, so I keep it in there.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:58:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I use one in my para with out any problems.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:47:32 PM EDT
[#6]
i never saw the reason, in the FAL you can simply adjust the gas system to keep the banging of the bolt carrier to a minimum...it is a battle rifle after all so a little banging is okay
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:55:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Closing or not being held open after the last round? The buffers can cause problems on some receivers with not holding the bolt back on the last round.

The bolt always locks open on the last round. It sometimes(once every few mags) does not close all the way on the round, everything is lined up right though. I think it might be a weak return spring so I called DSA and they said it might be the buffer I'm using.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:44:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I guess the best way to tell is to pull the buffer and try a few mags, see what happens.  I'm going with return springs though.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:47:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:27:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I guess the best way to tell is to pull the buffer and try a few mags, see what happens.  I'm going with return springs though.

Yep.  It's the return springs.  Get a new set, and your problem should disappear.  I had this issue with my NIB (for a kit gun) STG58 from DSA.  New return springs cleared it right up.

Where is the best place to buy return springs? Is there a certain kind/brand I should buy(Wolf)? Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:57:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:11:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I just ordered mine from Tapco.  

You can buy it in a whole kit (including a bunch of other handy FAL springs), or separate here (inner spring) and here (outer spring).

Thank you!!!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:33:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Buffers in F A Ls.. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The old saying "teets on a boar" comes to mind.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:36:07 PM EDT
[#14]

What he said
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:24:22 PM EDT
[#15]
+ another.....fer cripes sake man this is an FAL we're talking about......There is a reason why it was the right arm of the free world and the numero uno choice of "contractors" in Rhodesia, Congo, etc etc...... all sans buffer technology....
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:00:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Possibility for your bolt not closing all the way.

Check the buffer spring tube. Make sure it is clean and that is not a lot of grease on the spring. You mentioned that the bolt will not hold open with the buffer sometimes. I used a buffer for a while and never had a problem with the bolt not holding open. If there is too much grease in the tube and on the spring, the grease will hydrolic and the spring will not compress enough. Same thing about closing the grease will slow the action down.Take the spring out of the buffer tube amd clean the buffer tube. Remove all of the junk that is on the spring and lightly oil it. That is all it takes. Of course as you indicated, it could be a bad spring. Get a stainless spring kit from Falcon Arms. Replace all of the springs. the gun will feel different and cycle better.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Possibility for your bolt not closing all the way.

Check the buffer spring tube. Make sure it is clean and that is not a lot of grease on the spring. You mentioned that the bolt will not hold open with the buffer sometimes. I used a buffer for a while and never had a problem with the bolt not holding open. If there is too much grease in the tube and on the spring, the grease will hydrolic and the spring will not compress enough. Same thing about closing the grease will slow the action down.Take the spring out of the buffer tube amd clean the buffer tube. Remove all of the junk that is on the spring and lightly oil it. That is all it takes. Of course as you indicated, it could be a bad spring. Get a stainless spring kit from Falcon Arms. Replace all of the springs. the gun will feel different and cycle better.

No, it always locks back even with the buffer. Do you have a link to the Falcon Arms spring kit? Are they as good as the Tapco spring?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:12:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Falcon Arms

I can't speak about the Tapco spring kit because I have never used one. I have used two of the Falcon kits and have had no problems with either one of them. I put a Falcon spring kint in my G1 and it made all the differance in the world. It felt like a different rifle with new springs.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:53:25 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Falcon Arms

I can't speak about the Tapco spring kit because I have never used one. I have used two of the Falcon kits and have had no problems with either one of them. I put a Falcon spring kint in my G1 and it made all the differance in the world. It felt like a different rifle with new springs.

Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top