Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2003 10:22:08 PM EDT
Couldn't wait for my C&R to get here. Walked into my local shop last week and there it was on the rack. Haggled a bit and got a pretty good price  based on what i've seen them going for. It's in excellent original condition. Bore looks great. Can't wait to get to the range this weekend to try it out. Anyone else have one?
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 8:02:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I love mine.  One of the first old battle rifles that I got.  Even though the front site is a bit on the wide side, it shoots great groups at 100yds.  Probably one of my favorite rifles of all time, next to the 03A3.  Congradulations!  You're sure to love it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 11:00:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Umm, do you mean the rifle, or the revolver? Had one of each, both were decent shooters, although I miss the revolver more.

Meplat-
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 8:37:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Rob --

Assumin this is US Rifle, Model of 1917, check the maker on the receiver and the barrel mark  and date before plunking down good money.  The barrel will have an E(ddystone), R(emington), or W(inchester) marking on it which should match the marking on the receiver.

Every part on these rifles has a E, R, or W on it and they're all easy to swap other than the barrel.

Nothing wrong with replacement barrels on a shooter, but I prefer as close to original as possible on these.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 5:25:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Rob --

Assumin this is US Rifle, Model of 1917, check the maker on the receiver and the barrel mark  and date before plunking down good money.  The barrel will have an E(ddystone), R(emington), or W(inchester) marking on it which should match the marking on the receiver.

Every part on these rifles has a E, R, or W on it and they're all easy to swap other than the barrel.

Nothing wrong with replacement barrels on a shooter, but I prefer as close to original as possible on these.

-- Chuck

It might have a "JA" for Johnson Arms if it was re-barreled during the very early first part of WWII. I have one of this configuration and will print 3 inch 50 shot 100 yard groups. Utterly awesome rifle.

Tye
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 5:31:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Rob --

-- Chuck

It's Winchester through and through. In unbelievably good condition. The original metal finish has barely a mark on it. I would say it's 99%. If it wasn't for the obvious signs of being fired inside the barrel, I would almost think it hadn't been shot. I would say it had been carried a lot but seldom fired.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 3:55:43 AM EDT
[#6]
All original Winchester M1917 Rifles were blued, any Parkerizing was done during arsenal rebuild.  If the rifle is blue it could be original finish, but there's too many details involved to check this.

The early Winchesters were refused by AEF, because of non interchangable parts, but the later ones are OK.

Check the trigger guard screws which should be staked if the rifle is original.  Unlikely, but always possible.

Any inspection marks on the rifle?  Many of these were put straight into war stocks at the end of the war and were never issued.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 6:06:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I also have one.

Although it was arsenal parked, it has all Remmininton parts.

Shoots great too! 3 inch groups at 100 yards, easy recoil, and good sights.

Av.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 6:30:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Great Shooters. Mines an all original Eddystone 846XXX 08-18.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top