Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2014 3:24:15 PM EST
I previously build an 11.5" pistol(5.56) with an 11" Troy Alpha Battle Rail with the integrated front flip up site. I never thought about suppressor clearance until I caught the bug recently and bought a Saker 7.62. The suppressor won't fit on the barrel with the rail. Would you guys buy a different barrel and take it out to 12" or a different rail? I honestly think I have more in the rail than the barrel at this point.
My other option is I could try to have the rail cut down half an inch. Thoughts or opinions?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:47:37 PM EST
I've got 11.5" upper with a 9" troy alpha rail. I am wanting to have the rail go as close as possible to the muzzle but still be

able to get my specwar on. I'm thinking about getting a 11" alpha rail and cutting it if it won't work. A 10" isn't close enough.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:03:56 PM EST
I'd sell the rail and pick up a 10" KMR. save some weight while you fix your issue.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:37:32 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By G_MAN:
I'd sell the rail and pick up a 10" KMR. save some weight while you fix your issue.
View Quote

This.... is the correct answer!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:38:08 PM EST
... plus it's probably easier to sell a used rail than a used barrel.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:45:48 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/30/2014 9:48:53 PM EST by WrightP]
Originally Posted By wakebrdr142:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wakebrdr142:
Originally Posted By G_MAN:

Any thoughts on the MI-SSK? It's half an inch longer and weighs an once more and is ~$100 less than the BCM KMR.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:23:32 PM EST
for the KMR, has anyone experience excessive heat coming from it? I felt my buddies BCM upper with KMR was getting hotter to handle than my equal length BCM upper with DD lite 2
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:01:36 AM EST
Also, I have a half inch to give up on the backside of the rail. I see above that someone said time to get the band saw out, has anyone ever done this? I assume it would make it look like shit afterwords.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:00:38 PM EST
Originally Posted By WrightP:
Also, I have a half inch to give up on the backside of the rail. I see above that someone said time to get the band saw out, has anyone ever done this? I assume it would make it look like shit afterwords.
View Quote

The KMR is nice and I"ve thought about it several times. It would definately save a few ounces. However it won't cover as much of the barrel as I want. I want my rail to come right to the back of my

specwar where I just have enough room to lock it on. Only way to do this is cut the rail. I have a 11" bravo rail that I matched up on my barrel to compare as it's the same size as the 11" alpha. It

looks like I will be about 1/4 to 3/8" long so I will have to cut the rail. A 10.5" rail would be close but still not as close as possible.

As for what it would look like well I have seen where guys on here cut rails and painted the edge they cut after first smoothing it out with a dremel and you really couldn't even tell they had done it.

That is as long as you take your time and have the right tools so you don't make a mess of it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:00:15 AM EST
Originally Posted By countrygunner:

The KMR is nice and I"ve thought about it several times. It would definately save a few ounces. However it won't cover as much of the barrel as I want. I want my rail to come right to the back of my

specwar where I just have enough room to lock it on. Only way to do this is cut the rail. I have a 11" bravo rail that I matched up on my barrel to compare as it's the same size as the 11" alpha. It

looks like I will be about 1/4 to 3/8" long so I will have to cut the rail. A 10.5" rail would be close but still not as close as possible.

As for what it would look like well I have seen where guys on here cut rails and painted the edge they cut after first smoothing it out with a dremel and you really couldn't even tell they had done it.

That is as long as you take your time and have the right tools so you don't make a mess of it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By countrygunner:
Originally Posted By WrightP:

I'll have to def look into this. I would rather not spend the extra money at the moment. I'll probably just wait until I can pick up the can and then go from there. Thanks for the comments.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:38:17 PM EST
I have a cheaper rail and cut it back to just clear for my soon to be Saker.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:02:45 PM EST
Originally Posted By LEO4ever:
I have a cheaper rail and cut it back to just clear for my soon to be Saker.
View Quote

Show some pic's when you get it all set up.
Top Top