Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2004 7:05:31 PM EDT
I have a NM M1, I do not think it has ever been fired. At least 5 places on gun are stamped NM. Will it hurt the value if I shoot it the gun, is in new condition currently. serial #5****** , NM on top and side of rear sight, front sight, top of barel, slide and on bottom of front swivel forged on bottom rod. Stock is marked P with circle around it underneath by trigger on grip, has some sort of eagle with stars above it on left side above trigger. As for the rod I don't know how to check unless it is the one on the bottom of front swivel.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:41:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Couple of things you need to check.
First is the ser.#,, First made was in 1953 and only the barrel was stamped.

is it a Type 1 or Type 2

NM op rods were added in 1961

Hooded aperture with 1/2 min. elve. was added in 1962

Many standard grades where rebuilt to NM standards over the years. This will be the type 2 as they ran out of recivers in 1959 and went to type 2.

Recivers are only Springfield.

Ser. # will be in the 5 - 6 million range on type 1, many type 1's have been rebuilt to type 2, Type 2 can be any ser. #.

Wife has a 1953 NM built in Mar of that year from the first run of 800. (Ser # was recorded at Springfield)

Hope this will get you started, as for shooting it thats up to you, Wife's rifle still see's a match or two, thats what it was made for (Not plunking).

I left out a few year mods for you to find.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top