Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2008 4:14:08 PM EDT
OK I have a MK18 Mod0 clone I am in the process of building.  Because I live in the great state of CT I am forced to own a "Preban" if I want original equipment.

So the lower I have has a bit of wear on it and since it is a SBR I would like it to have a nice hard coat to protect it as well as for aestetics for the build.

Are there any down sides to cerakoting a preban lower? If it is bead blasted will that weaken the metal in any way?
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 7:21:57 PM EDT
You don't want to remove the anodizing if and when you blast it.  You can lightly scuff it with aluminum oxide without removing it and that will provide a good surface for the Cerakote to adhere to.

I like the CeraKote although it's a bit trickier to work with than some of the other offerings on the market.  Definitely the flatest finish I've seen and very durable.
Link Posted: 10/20/2008 1:44:20 PM EDT
I got my MKII pistol done with Graphite Black Cerakote and its great. All the markings are easy to read. As far as thickness, I don't know, about a 1 mil thick...?  
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 8:24:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By phylodog:
You don't want to remove the anodizing if and when you blast it.  You can lightly scuff it with aluminum oxide without removing it and that will provide a good surface for the Cerakote to adhere to.

I like the CeraKote although it's a bit trickier to work with than some of the other offerings on the market.  Definitely the flatest finish I've seen and very durable.

+1 you can blast with the ceramic ball stuff and go very lightly as to not remove the hard anodizing, but practice on something worthless first.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 7:39:05 PM EDT
What if you don't blast it, what will happen?

What if you just degrease, heat, spray, and cure?
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:48:52 AM EDT
Bump, anyone ???
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 6:23:32 PM EDT
That's going to depend on the surface.  Anodizing can be anywhere from rather rough to pretty smooth.  I have coated over rough anodizing with nothing but a good degrease and it worked very well.  As long as it's not smooth as glass it should adhere just fine provided you get it properly degreased.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:50:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Omega_556:
What if you don't blast it, what will happen?

What if you just degrease, heat, spray, and cure?

I have done 2 so far, no blasting.
the chipped places there are (just a couple) can't be helped.they took real good hits.
but the stuff sticks well, cerakote is epoxy. the bake version is 24 to 1 paint/hardener.

and it is reccomended in 1 mil thickness.I used a sample size jar for 1 AR, thats the smallest one sold.

my opinion is don't bead blast or scuff, just be VERY sure it is CLEAN and DEGREASED.
I had a place on the receiver extension that had a bit of oil film on it and left it to see what it would do.it was in a place that was not visible.you can see it.

Top Top