Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2013 5:50:12 PM EDT
Simple question, TiRant  .45 or Octane .45 and why? I dont think i want the Osprey because i want to shoot lead and want to be able to take it apart and clean it. Let me know what you think. If it matters this will be on German P220 and 1911.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#1]
The TiRant has a short/flush piston option:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrVFu6H9MvU
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I love my TiRant 45....

Very lightweight, great construction.....

I cannot speak to your alternatives beyond what I have read and seen on youtube.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I have no first hand experience with either, but
I chose the octane when I was in your shoes.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:13:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

... i want to shoot lead and want to be able to take it apart and clean it. .
View Quote

The Octane has stainless steel baffles and the Tirant has anodized aluminum alloy baffles.

If you want to shoot lead, then the Octane would be the better choice because
of the restrictions placed on the use of some cleaning agents on the anodized aluminum baffles of the Tirant.

You can scrub the hell out of the stainless steel baffles, but that same hard scrubbing might damage the anodizing
on the aluminum baffles.

And believe me, if you're going to shoot lead through a suppressor then you're going to be doing some serious
scrubbing on those baffles.  So much that you just might never shoot lead again.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:19:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Octane has stainless steel baffles and the Tirant has anodized aluminum alloy baffles.

of the restrictions placed on the use of some cleaning agents on the anodized aluminum baffles of the Tirant.

You can scrub the hell out of the stainless steel baffles, but that same hard scrubbing might damage the anodizing
on the aluminum baffles.

And believe me, if you're going to shoot lead through a suppressor then you're going to be doing some serious
scrubbing on those baffles.  So much that you just might never shoot lead again.
View Quote

The blast baffle in a tirant is 17-4 stainless, but otherwise yes.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:39:04 AM EDT
[#6]
and don't forget you can actually get a three lug adaptor for the octane 45 the tyrant 45 still doesn't have 3 lug released yet.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:20:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

on the aluminum baffles.

scrubbing on those baffles
.  So much that you just might never shoot lead again.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

on the aluminum baffles.

Not if you use "the dip".
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:47:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

on the aluminum baffles.

Which is not an option when using aluminum baffles.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:12:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I have both the Tirant 45 and Octane 9 HD.  I would go for the Octane.  It's cheaper and has a better baffle design.

Quoted:

View Quote

He's right.  I can't believe how much lead I had inside my Tirant.  Here is how I started cleaning them which still isn't easy but it is effective:

Cleaning Tirant 45 baffles

You can see how much easier the same process is with the SWR baffle design:

Cleaning SWR baffles

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:43:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I can't believe how much lead I had inside my Tirant.  Here is how I started cleaning them which still isn't easy but it is effective:

Cleaning Tirant 45 baffles
View Quote

Its really none of my business what you shoot in your TiRant, but I would stop shooting lead until you get your Octane. Your aluminum baffles are getting royally F'ed up by both the lead and your cleaning method. There are parts inside the TiRant that cant be removed for cleaning, I cant imagine what that looks like inside . The video you posted is doing more harm than good to your baffles and it looks like you're contaminating your work area with fine lead dust.

Please step away from the power tools, pick up an air compressor, and go outside.
Soda blasting

AAC is really easy to work with. You have the old style baffles and they will upgrade you to the newest specifications for little charge, just send Mike Mers an email. Once you get some new baffles and they (hopefully) remove all the lead from the back of your suppressor, stick to jacketed rounds with that can.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:57:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow, this morning I had no intention of buying a suppressor, then one of my Google searches of octane ratings brought me to this link, and now I just ordered a Octane 45 HD.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:47:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I have shot the TiRant 45 and 9 and they are great silencers.
However, I can't think of a single reason to choose it over the Octane 45.

The Octane is less than 1oz heavier, yet has all steel baffles that will not carbon weld themselves to the tube.
It's slightly shorter than the Tirant as well, yet just as quiet.
It uses the same mounts as the Octane 9 and the same pistons as the Octane 9 and Osprey.

I got to shoot my Octane 45 two weeks ago and I'm impressed. The machining and quality of the silencer is simply amazing.
Every little bit just ebbs quality. It's awesome.

SWR Octane 45 on a 1911

SWR Octane 45 Vs. AAC Evo 45
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:17:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah...I know its just for looks, but the TiRant short piston looks really cool on a 1911.   Maybe, the right answer is to get both...especially with all the talk regarding NFA rule changes:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top