Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2006 7:59:42 PM EDT
I have a Thompson M1A1 made by Kahr Arms and is used for plinking/ target shooting, just a fun gun. The question is, after two to three shots, the spent casings stovepipe. I was wondering if it is the magazines or the gun itself. How can I fix it.
Can I stretch the magazine springs to help it feed better or is there something else anyone can help me with. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:13:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I would try using different ammo first.  I wouldn't think that stovepiping would be caused by the magazine.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:18:33 PM EDT
[#2]
As above, try different ammo.  
Shoot standard 230 grain, round nose, full metal jacket.  
Cheap ammo often doesn't work right.

Also:
Clean and lube the gun, clean and lightly lube the magazine.
Try a different magazine.  Bad mags can do weird things.

DO NOT stretch the springs.  Stretching springs RUINS the spring.  
If the springs are suspect buy new FACTORY strength springs.

Has the gun been fired enough to break it in?  Many guns give problems for the first several hundred rounds.

If after the abouve it still jams, DON'T screw with it.  This almost always makes things worse.  
Send it back to Auto Ordnance to be repaired.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:40:53 AM EDT
[#3]
And check the extractor for damage.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:34:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank You for the suggestions.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Is it every 2-3 rounds throughout the entire mag?

If so, check the extractor but also check the chamber as well. These tend to have a tighter chamber than it should.

Make sure quality ammo is being used.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:51:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Would it function better with +p?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top