Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2005 9:51:25 PM EDT
Of course not my Bushmaster.. What silly thought is that... No I was recently given a Mini-14 long story short from a friend of the family.. It was made in 1997 Stainless with synthetic stock and came with 2 mags, both Precision Mag one 20 and one 30 round. Nice looking gun. So when I got it I did a good cleaning and took it in the back yard to play.. Well jams without fail sometime goes 3 shots sometimes 15 shots but will jam somewhere between there. So thinking maybe it does not like those mags I ordered 2 Mason 30 round and 2 Ruger 20 round LEO mags, still jams, no matter the ammo as well. I have put various 223 Winchester JHP, 5.56 Winchester FMJ, 223 Hornady TAP, 223 Federal JHP, and my favorite 5.56 Lake City FMJ, still no matter Jam Jam, and have cleaned it a few times in there... The jam is with the extraction on the spent case, it does not make it all the way out before the bolt closes and starts to push the next cartridge in.. Anyone know why..

Thanks for the help..

Terry

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:27:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Could be the ejector.  If the mini really is a scaled down clone of the M1A, then that's where I'd place my bets.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:30:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Mister is prolly right.  Broken off extractor hook or spring  or it could have something stuck under it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:39:30 AM EDT
[#3]
That's the classic definition of a short stroke.

What is WRONG with the ejection?  Does it have one of those "recoil buffers?"

If you don't feel like fooling with it send it to Ruger.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
The jam is with the extraction on the spent case, it does not make it all the way out before the bolt closes and starts to push the next cartridge in.. Anyone know why..

Thanks for the help..

Terry

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:04:13 AM EDT
[#4]
It could be premature release of the rim by the extractor. Look at the ectractor claw and see if it is chipped, rounded or has a weak spring.

Like djenkins said, send it to Ruger with a short description of the problem.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#5]
It might have an aftermarket recoil buffer that sometimes cause short stroking. Remove the stock and look for a gray plastic plate on the receiver end of the op rod. If it has one, remove the op rod and take the buffer out.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:33:19 AM EDT
[#6]
how did i know befor opening this it was about a mini????
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:10:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
how did i know befor opening this it was about a mini????

my mini never jammed with quality mags. I could beat the shit out of that rifle and it wouldn't hiccup. Of course, that was before I sold it to finance my AR build
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:03:06 PM EDT
[#8]
OK just pulled it apart.. no recoil buffer and extractor looks find. It was a bit dirty under the extractor and it is very tuff to push it back, I will clean it and test it tommarow. Will let you all know...  Thanks for the help..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top