Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2005 9:05:10 PM EDT
I took my Garand out for the first time today.  I had not fired one for a couple of decades or so!

When I set my spotweld/cheekweld at a point I was comfortable with the distance to the rear sight, my cheek was against the thumb of my hand.  When I fired, the second joint of my thumb impacted against my cheek bone just under my eye.  It was less than comfortable and did leave a mark after a few clips.

Does anyone have any photos of a spotweld technique/strong hand position technique which eliminates the impact of the thumb joint and the cheek bone?  When I move back from my hand, I feel like I am too far back from the sight.  I know I used to have the information from back 20 or 30 years... but I can't seem to recall the technique I was taught then. (Getting older is highly over rated... and annoying at times!)

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:44:18 AM EDT
[#1]
ronin,

I shoot the M1 almost exclusively.....   and shoot every position except standing with my thumb pointing straight forward, into the heel of the receiver.    This keeps me from bruising my cheek with every shot.

Just my thoughts,
Swampy

garands forever
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:18:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I keep my hand low on the pistol grip with my pinkie almost falling off. this gives me plenty of room for the thumb to stay behind the heel of the receiver. It also gives me a better "pull" of the trigger.

Speaking of M1 thumb, or in this case M1 middle finger, I was greasing the rails yesterday and tried to clean some grease off of the bullet guide and pushed it a tad too hard. 20 minutes of icing it down and today it is not too bad.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:33:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Unhooking the recoil spring will prevent that injury.

I have an adjustable gas system on my Garand. The recoil is reduced to a point that my thumb doesn't smack my face.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:46:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Great suggestions.

My dad was a Navy WWII vet.  When I first went into ROTC we had Garands.  I think that is when I fell into the Garand trap.  I loved that rifle ever since.  He first told me of M1 thumb and such.

The first Garand I had was a Springfield re-weld.  It was a first class job.  You really had to look to see it was a re-weld.  I sold that rifle and to this day kick my self for doing so.  I now have a new Springfield Armory.  I have had it for about two years and finally got around to shooting it.  I don't care that some trash the SA Garands... it is a beautiful rifle.  I'd like to get a WWII Garand... and maybe someday I will.  I want one in exceptional condition... but don't yet have the money to find one.  Maybe someday.

Again thanks to all
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:49:23 PM EDT
[#5]
forgot all about the thumb in the cheek . Found out the hard way when I started shooting Matches.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top