Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2002 12:51:51 PM EDT
I found this interesting link on the future of the SOPMOD program as envisioned by NSWC Crane. The handout is from the August 2001 Joint Services Small Arms Symposium.

It shows an interesting future for the various components of the M4 and the whole concept of a modular rifle itself. One thing I found interesting was the lack of iron sights on the block II and block III concept rifles presented in the handout. Hopefully that was just an oversight on the artist's part...

www.dtic.mil/ndia/2001smallarms/taylor.pdf

PS - For more mind-numbing bureaucratic fun you can dig through the unclas budget figures for USSOCOM - $350,000 for paintballs in FY2000.
www.dtic.mil/comptroller/fy2002budget/budget_justification/pdfs/procurement/tab15_socom.pdf
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 2:51:31 PM EDT
[#1]
When will it all end...I went broke bringing my AR up to the "latest" mod...(sigh)...
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 6:13:43 AM EDT
[#2]
The two changes that really caught my eye were the improved magazine and improved bolt. Those seem like changes that all AR-15/M-16 series rifles would benefit from.

I'm curious as to what exactly they changed though - hopefully a little sturdier ejector on the bolt for one.

Edited to add:

Well, this didn't answer all of my questions but its an informative document specifying specific issues with the M4A1 carbine and the SOPMOD kit. Its already gone from the web, so you'll have to catch it while it is still in Google's cache:

www.google.com/search?q=cache:a_tZIq7bqtgC:www.crane.navy.mil/supply/01r0102/01r0102.htm+M4A1+Improved+Bolt&hl=en

See also:
www.google.com/search?q=cache:RnBdDrJsFLsC:www.crane.navy.mil/supply/01r0102/rifflespec.PDF+M4A1+%22Improved+Bolt%22&hl=en&start=2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top