Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2003 11:03:08 AM EDT
I think it's the FAL, STG58 specifically, no questions asked.  Reliable, eats everything thanks to the adjustable gas system, cheap mags and parts, ergonomic, integral bipod, brake, and let's not forget, black and evil looking.

What do you think?
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 11:10:55 AM EDT
[#1]
In terms of military proven reliability and decent ergonomics, my vote goes with the FAL also...but with the M14/M1A a VERY close 2nd.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 11:12:15 AM EDT
[#2]
There's a hidden agenda here, trying to decide which 308 I want next.  I just think it's rude to have only one 308 rifle in the safe!
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Just buy the damn thing...
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 12:48:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
There's a hidden agenda here, trying to decide which 308 I want next.  I just think it's rude to have only one 308 rifle in the safe!

So thats why no AK choice.
FWIW, a FAL is my next project.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 12:56:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah yeah yeah I know.  Okay dammit I'll come clean.

I'm deciding between an AR10A4 and a loaded M1A.

I'll just say screw it and go for the M1A.  I'll probably toss a scope on her too.  Why not.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 2:10:42 PM EDT
[#6]
FAL--STG58a
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 3:33:18 PM EDT
[#7]
The metric FAL is the once and future king.  I assume you've seen the photos of our EOD guys in Iraq with metric FALs?  Rumor has it that DSArms is supplying certain units in Afghanistan with brand new FAL type rifles as well.

No you can't have mine.  When TSHTF I'll let you have any rifle in the safe except this one.

Link Posted: 9/4/2003 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#8]
M1A.

And yes I've owned an FAL.

Seen two of my FAL's jam. Including one built on brand new barrel and gas system by a very reputable builder.

The FAL doesn't jam myth is like the AK doesn't jam myth.

I've seen both jam. And more than once.

The whole idea that if an FAL starts to jam because of fouling that you can just adjust the gas system is nonsense.

Yes that helps the cause, but you still have to clear a jam, and THEN either keep shooting or stop to adjust the gas stystem (which can be a bit stiff sometimes).

Also, clearing a jam on a FAL is alot harder than clearing a jam on an M1A.

Any malfunction I've experienced on an M1A has been cleared by simply pulling the charging handle back.

Most jams on my FAL had to be cleared by breaking it open, and often removing the bolt.

I did have a problem with a non USGI bolt when I first got my M1A, but that to me doesn't speak to the overall design.

AND, it has run fine since.

To me, the better sites, and more natural feel of the M1A makes it the better choice.

Yes, more than one county chose the FAl. But I have a feeling that there are lots of good reasons to explain that besides the fact that it was more reliable than an M1A.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 6:32:45 PM EDT
[#9]
My brand new STG58 jammed three times on its first mag at bulletfest. That's how many it took to get the gas set right. Since then it's been through almost a thousand rounds failure free. On all three jams (short stroke) I simply dropped the mag, cycled the action, reinserted the mag cycled again and fired.

I've heard horror stories about recent M1A's, but since I have no first hand experience...

My next .308 is an AR10 (SEBR). After that, hopefully, and HK51 or sear pack copy.

Everyone needs a selection of .308's in my opinion!
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 10:55:51 PM EDT
[#10]
HK 91?
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 11:52:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 1:13:45 AM EDT
[#12]

I never get tired of this argument, or of posting this pic.  Azex built FAL in ass-kick green.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 1:16:53 AM EDT
[#13]
My suspicions are correct.  The FAL is leading the pack with the M1A in number 2.

Nice STG58.  I put that KAC crosshairs on mine.  I like it.  More precise aiming, for me anyway.

I think Shamus is right also.  The FAL will foul and fail like everything else that is mechanical.  Gotta clean your guns.

Cheers,

H
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 2:13:30 AM EDT
[#14]
My experiance is limited to 2 M1A's and 3 DSA Fals.

My pick is the M1A.  Inexpensive, reliable, accurate, great ergonomics.

Only the DSA Fal compare to the M1A, and a DSA Fal cost more and I cant reach the safety without shifting my firing grip.

Honorable mention goes to the .308 M1 Garand by Fulton Armory or Orion 7.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 7:34:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I voted or the AR-10.  (However, in fairness the SR-25 should also be included.)
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 12:07:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
a DSA Fal cost more and I cant reach the safety without shifting my firing grip.

Buy 10 mags for each gun.  Now which costs more?
get an extended safety if it bothers you.  Problem solved.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 12:17:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I voted CETME b/c I'm on a love-fest with my new one.  Not one problem in about 600 rounds.  

Whereas my AR-10 has had 2 FTEjects in about 50 rounds.

Never had a problem with a FAL or an M1A either.  But I chose the CETME because it's been the most fun to shoot and the lightest recoil of any .308 I've shot.  I'd love to try one in full-auto.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 12:22:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 12:25:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 12:35:04 PM EDT
[#20]
i like my ar10
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 12:38:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I am trying to decide which .308 I want as well. Will only have one, just in case. Have narrowed it down to either an M1A Scout, or a standard AR10 carbine. Just cant decide between the two.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 3:07:43 PM EDT
[#22]
....SR25....I own various models of.."all of the above"...(except g3 or cetme)...but have a tendency to follow military standards...as far as "best"....mostly due to reliability issues......the thing is...the ar10 is most likely AS reliable now.....the FAL is definitely battle proven....the M1A that I own will hit anything you point it at.....so there......you know...I said MAYBE...and that`s final!.....
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 3:09:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm sure you can't go wrong in any case!

But hey look!  The M1A is gaining on the FAL!

Seems we may have a surefire consensus here that the FAL is almighty.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 3:18:06 PM EDT
[#24]
...The reality is.....I DO spend more time with the FAL`s than anything else.....hhhmmmm....I DO love them......(is it wrong to say love?)........
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 6:22:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
www.addlepated.net/~gloftoe/galil/images/000_0001_0002.jpg

SWEET! Always wanted one of those. Is that a post ban build, or a supercool pre-pre ban?
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.addlepated.net/~gloftoe/galil/images/000_0001_0002.jpg

SWEET! Always wanted one of those. Is that a post ban build, or a supercool pre-pre ban?

That, is a super cool preban, which I recently traded for, and even more recently noticed that it is unfired.

EDIT-maybe you should visit the Galil forum occasionally
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 7:46:56 PM EDT
[#27]
I LOOOOOOOVE my AR-10. I wish I had the $ for a Galil!
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 11:37:16 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
a DSA Fal cost more and I cant reach the safety without shifting my firing grip.

Buy 10 mags for each gun.  Now which costs more?

My M1A came from the factory with 3 mags. Until recently you could buy used GI mags from the CMP for $15.00 and NIW for $25.00 which included FED EX delivery.

Have to save alot of money on FAL mags to make up the $300.00 to $400.00 price difference between a Springfield M1A and a DSA Fal.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#29]
I ain't voting til I see the H&K G3 on the list and thats final!
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 12:14:22 PM EDT
[#30]
The poll missed two of the very best. HK91 + Stoner/Knights SR25. Can't get any better then one of these.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 2:44:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Yeah I forgot to add the HK...but that falls into the "Other" catagory.  Seems the posts here so far would only total a marginal percent though.

No one ever handles those puppies too often so I'm sure most of us are ignorant about those gems.

On another note, looks like the FAL is losing it's lead!!!  The M1A is closing in on this race!
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 1:31:03 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
M1A.

Seen two of my FAL's jam. Including one built on brand new barrel and gas system by a very reputable builder.

The whole idea that if an FAL starts to jam because of fouling that you can just adjust the gas system is nonsense.

Yes that helps the cause, but you still have to clear a jam, and THEN either keep shooting or stop to adjust the gas stystem (which can be a bit stiff sometimes).

Any malfunction I've experienced on an M1A has been cleared by simply pulling the charging handle back.

Most jams on my FAL had to be cleared by breaking it open, and often removing the bolt.

I did have a problem with a non USGI bolt when I first got my M1A, but that to me doesn't speak to the overall design.

To me, the better sites, and more natural feel of the M1A makes it the better choice.

Yes, more than one county chose the FAl. But I have a feeling that there are lots of good reasons to explain that besides the fact that it was more reliable than an M1A.

You must be doing something very, very, very wrong.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 2:46:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 7:15:43 PM EDT
[#34]
I cant believe you left off the G3!  Best by far.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 4:54:39 AM EDT
[#35]
I own an AR10-A4 AND an ARS built STG-58.

The winner is.....

STG-58!
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
M1A.

You must be doing something very, very, very wrong.

And that would be exactly what? Care to elaborate?

I'm guessing you also think that AK's don't jam?

Again, the adjustable gas system is often touted (sp?) as a plus on the FAL in case it does jam. Hell, check any FAL discussion board, and you will find that some FALs are finicky as too which ammo they like and which ammo they don't.

Some guys set there's on 5, some on 3.

Doesn't sound very consistent to me.

In fact, I've had less problems with my AR's than I've had with my FALs.

Yep, and those $5 mags for FALs?

Have had mag issues with FALs to boot.

None of this is spoken out of disrespect for the FAL design.

They are a fine weapon.

But I haven't seen any evidence that they are any more reliable than an M1A.

And the sites, balance, and ergonomics of the M1A to me are by far superior.

Thereby making any real or perceived advantage of the FAL being more "reliable" a moot point in my book.

I may be in the minority here.

Fair enough.

But my mileage obviously varies....

MMOV.......a new AR!5 catch
phrase?...............

edited to insert an H
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#37]
How could you leave the 91/G3 off? What a crappy little biased poll/thread. No vote necessary.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 2:59:23 PM EDT
[#38]
WHAT? NO SIG/AMT 's?
http://world.guns.ru/assault/as45-e.htm
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 7:51:00 PM EDT
[#39]
M1A
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 3:49:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top