Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2020 10:51:03 AM EDT
Hi,

I'm a new member here, but old member of the nightvision.com forum which no longer works.
For my first post, I suggest a test between a pvs 14 with a harris omni7 intensifier tube and a pvs14 with a katod tube.

The exterior conditions were a level 5 night. No moon, 90% cloudy

N°1
PVs14 Mx11769/uv Harris Omni 7
Mini specs
64 lp/mm
Sn 28
Sensibility 2200 micA
Sensibility at 880: 120

N°2
Pvs14 Mx10160 style Katod EPM101GSH.01.11S3
Specs
65 lp/mm
Sn 26.9
Sensibility 1940
at 850: 245
Ebi 0.03
Gain 52000

(Edit)
After looking my other pics i found identical settings  with same speed and focal.

Another pics with same speed, focal iso
Night level 4 (stars light)

Link Posted: 2/2/2020 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad to see another French NV enthusiat !

Honestly the Ekran performs much better than I thought it would.
I've heard nothing but bad things about Russian manufacturers (both Ekran and Katod) , I'd really like to try one to see what it's really about.

I was told that Russians do not measure specs the same way as US and EU manufacturers , resulting in higher numbers than what they really were. Do you know more about that ?
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for sharing. The Katod looks good. The phosphor color looks same/similar to Photonis Echo WP.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 1:06:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice pics, thanks for sharing. Can your camera be set to black and white? I find that helps in comparing pics of green and white phosphor tubes. Both are definitely strong performers. Omni 7 is almost as good as it gets and outside the US, it really is the about the best.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 7:18:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Had a look at the EXIF data, shutter speed and ISO is not kept constant in all the shots, that's why the Katod tube looks better than it really is.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 10:14:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I guess this can put the myths to sleep, Katod is on the same level as Omni 7 tubes.
And if there is a difference, its so small that its probably not noticable to the normal user.

Which of the pictures is the Katod and which is the Omni ?
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I guess this can put the myths to sleep, Katod is on the same level as Omni 7 tubes.
And if there is a difference, its so small that its probably not noticable to the normal user.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Except that's not the case because despite what the OP claims the photos were not taken with equal camera settings. The only photos that were taken with identical settings are these two and the Omni VII tube is clearly better:

Link Posted: 2/5/2020 4:26:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Could it be argued that its because of the Sensibility 2200 micA ? Wish we had more than one picture to go from.

Example my Katod tube is:

SNR': 24
FOM: 1560
Photo Response: 2140
Autogated: Yes
Gain Type: Autogain
Radiant Sensitivity at 850nm: 276
Gain 2*10-5lx: 57.000

I wonder if that would compete on same level.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 4:53:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I was assuming the OMNI VII tube looks brighter because it has manual gain and the WP tube cannot manually adjust gain. So it is hard to get a true apples to apples comparison IMO.
Min FOM of an OMNI VII should be 1,792 (min 64 lp/mm x min 28 S/N).
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 5:57:59 PM EDT
[#9]
For katod its only a rumor. The quality and good specs are here. But for ekran it's a reality. Specs are ok but viability and manufacturing quality is the weak point.
For the specs measurement it the same method between American and Russian. But different for photonis.
The gain value could be multiplicated by pi
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 5:59:45 PM EDT
[#10]
How well the optics are focused makes a big difference too. Looks like it could be the case in a couple of the pics.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 6:03:09 PM EDT
[#11]
You are a bit wrong a bit true, all pics are did in manual with same setting if possible to be the near as possible of the real view.
Sometimes i had to reduce speed or focal from 1/15 to 1/10 because the green is not captured identical with the white.
In this case the picture lead into error. And not the realityperceived.
So I modified my text to be more explicit.
The green in all case is more brighter. A notch above katod.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 6:37:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes it's not really easy. I should do all in manual to be near possible to the reality I saw inside the monocular.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 7:08:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yes it's not really easy. I should do all in manual to be near possible to the reality I saw inside the monocular.
View Quote
I agree. Sometimes you have to alter settings to match what your eye sees. If you do more comparisons, take video next time instead of pictures, raising each monocular to the camera while filming in one take on the same scene.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 3:33:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You are a bit wrong a bit true, all pics are did in manual with same setting if possible to be the near as possible of the real view.
Sometimes i had to reduce speed or focal from 1/15 to 1/10 because the green is not captured identical with the white.
In this case the picture lead into error. And not the realityperceived.
So I modified my text to be more explicit.
The green in all case is more brighter. A notch above katod.
View Quote
How would you personally say the Katod performs in comparison to the Omni ?
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 7:05:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I agree. Sometimes you have to alter settings to match what your eye sees. If you do more comparisons, take video next time instead of pictures, raising each monocular to the camera while filming in one take on the same scene.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No, for an objective comparison you should NEVER have different camera settings between them. The only variable is the tube: shutter speed, aperture, focal length and ISO must be exactly the same (same applies for video). Not only does changing them make the comparison useless but it can produce very misleading results. The last two photos would have you believe that the Katod tube performs better than the Omni VII. The problem is the former was shot with a shutter speed of 1/13 seconds and the latter 1/22 seconds. That means 70% more light went into producing the Katod's photo compared to the Omni VII.

Link Posted: 2/6/2020 8:44:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Wonder why OP specifically stated that camera settings were the same in his 1st post, even though he knew they were different and later admitted as much when called out on it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:59:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No, for an objective comparison you should NEVER have different camera settings between them. The only variable is the tube: shutter speed, aperture, focal length and ISO must be exactly the same (same applies for video). Not only does changing them make the comparison useless but it can produce very misleading results. The last two photos would have you believe that the Katod tube performs better than the Omni VII. The problem is the former was shot with a shutter speed of 1/13 seconds and the latter 1/22 seconds. That means 70% more light went into producing the Katod's photo compared to the Omni VII.
View Quote
I agree that is ideal.

I feel video is usually a better comparison and is why I mentioned he film both tubes during the same take (same settings). I’m assuming he’s using a smart phone.

What would you recommend to do if the camera doesn’t match what the eye is actually seeing? For example one looks great and the other too dark or the other way around (one is too bright).
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 12:13:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What would you recommend to do if the camera doesn’t match what the eye is actually seeing? For example one looks great and the other too dark or the other way around (one is too bright).
View Quote
An in-person demonstration. Photos of NV optical devices will never recreate the incredible experience of actually using them and trying to do a legitimate comparison with pics or videos never seems to satisfy.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 1:13:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

An in-person demonstration. Photos of NV optical devices will never recreate the incredible experience of actually using them and trying to do a legitimate comparison with pics or videos never seems to satisfy.
View Quote
Well played

100% agree but obviously this is rarely possible. In particular different tube mfgs, spec ranges, etc. Even at a class, I would think too much time would be wasted taking away from training to do this in any meaningful way besides a quick peek. The inter-webz is where everyone looks first.

Care to share your opinion on settings - Do you attempt to match what you see, etc etc ?
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 1:27:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Care to share your opinion on settings - Do you attempt to match what you see, etc etc ?
View Quote
Personally I try to just make a cool-looking photo. I've tried to stay away from the tube-comparing thing because the differences are so small/technical and inside of each type/manufacturer there's enough variation to need a pretty big sample size to make any legitimate statements.

I'm a much bigger fan of the blind test at the range - hand a dude my PVS-14 with an echo in it and they're happy as can be. No flaming for it being "gEn TwO pLuS" like you get online... side-by-side it with some filmless hotness or mil-surp greenies and most of the time guys are just amazed they can see and at all the laser beams flying around the range hehe. Personally I'm willing to pay a little premium and let a pro pick tubes for me, rather than spending the time and effort trying to do it any better myself.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep I understand what you want to explain.
At the beginning I would only want to be the nearest of the real view inside.
I will do another pictures or video soon with your advice.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 5:45:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I agree that is ideal.

I feel video is usually a better comparison and is why I mentioned he film both tubes during the same take (same settings). I’m assuming he’s using a smart phone.

View Quote
Yes with Samsung S7.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 6:11:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wonder why OP specifically stated that camera settings were the same in his 1st post, even though he knew they were different and later admitted as much when called out on it.
View Quote
Because I've looked only the status of 2 pics. The pics are tooke more than one year ago (September 2018), I thought I had it all done in manual. That's why i admits the mistake after status verification.
I didn't remember, witsh kind of setting I used  the first pics series  (with car).Perhaps semi automatic mode. Normally I always using manual for bring near of the real.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 6:22:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Because I've looked only the status of 2 pics. The pics are tooke more than one year ago (September 2018), I thought I had it all done in manual. That's why i admits the mistake after status verification.
I didn't remember, witsh kind of setting I used  the first pics series  (with car).Perhaps semi automatic mode. Normally I always using manual for bring near of the real.
View Quote
If you still have the two devices, please do more comparisons. I think it’s & interesting useful to see Russian gen 3. Here in the USA you don’t hear of Katod much, or at least I haven’t.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 6:32:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I just edit the first series. The first 4 pics
This time same iso speed and focal.
If I will put a note I will say omni7 10/10.
Katof 7/10
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If you still have the two devices, please do more comparisons. I think it’s & interesting useful to see Russian gen 3. Here in the USA you don’t hear of Katod much, or at least I haven’t.
View Quote
Not, i Sold the katod recently, but i will upgrade my pvs with another of the Epm101 F series. with manual gain
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:38:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I agree that is ideal.

View Quote
My recommendation would be to double check you are shooting in manual and that you have not inadvertently changed settings between the two shots. If that's all good then you want to make sure the camera is being placed in the same position each time, ideally you should not be shooting hand-held but with some kind of adapter that allows repeatable optical alignment with the NVD. Also make sure environmental conditions haven't shifted between shots (e.g. an opening in cloud cover) as any change in lighting will obviously affect the outcome.

P.S. Filming in the same take doesn't guarantee anything as the camera continuously adjusts those parameters when in auto mode, you need to be in manual.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#28]
@tiantian
When using your smart phone, get the ProCamera app, it let’s you manually adjust the camera settings. It’s a great app.
ETA: I’m an iPhone guy, and don’t know the Galaxy. You obviously were able to change settings but maybe this app is still worthwhile to you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top