Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2015 3:44:01 PM EDT
Ive just decided to look into some type of nightvision and know very little yet.  My main concern that googlr hasnt helped me find is what is the real world performance of either a pvs 14 or some type of thermal scope in sub-zero winter mornings?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:01:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Most of the guys here like to use the Lithium AA Energizer batteries for the units for the long life, and the fact they work good in very cold weather with PVS-14's and other image intensifiers.

Some guys have used the units in -30 degree conditions, so it should work for you.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=18&t=356097

Thermal, that's going to depend on the unit your interested in. Some do fine in cold weather, others might have issues to be aware of.  Most do fine when your using Lithium batteries to power them though.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:46:47 PM EDT
[#2]
ive had mine out when it was in the 20's

the battery wasnt new and i had some slight image flickering for about the first 20-30 seconds i turned it on, after the tube was running for a few minutes all was well.

also keep in mind, the military does not care how cold it is, it has to work.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:49:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Per the Army/AF/Marine Operators Manual the operating temp range is -51C to 49C (-59.8F to 120.2) and the storage temp range is -51C to 85C (-59.8F to 185F).
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:15:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had no problems running a pvs14 right at 0F many a night.  3-4 hour outing, FLIR thermals as well.  The equipment functioned well and batteries outlasted my hands and feet.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top