Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2002 7:37:05 PM EDT
What does everybody think? Likes/dislikes. I need to make a educated decision on a new rifle. Already have the AR.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 7:43:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Why make an educated decision??
Make the obvious one.
Why do you need one--because you don't have one!!!

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 7:45:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Doesn't need to be pre ban to have a flash suppressor. What is cover for an M-16/AR-15 is merely concelement for an M-14/M1A. Better stopping power. If it's good enough for Randy Shughart it's good enough for me.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 7:57:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Was going to buy the M1A last week, Due to the return of the "loaded" promotion......But a great deal came along in the form of an HK 91a2. It was TOO NICE, and will power is only so strong.
The M1a is next. There is a Synthetic Stock model with my name on it.

JerrY
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Because your balls won't clank when you walk until you own one.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:10:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Because your balls won't clank when you walk until you own one.

Come to think of it It wasn't 15 minutes after I bought mine that my balls started ringing like the bells of Saint Marys when I walk.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:15:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I think you buy it for the cartridge more than for the particular rifle.  A .308 battle rifle is a cool thing to have: a true 600-800 yard boomer, whether it is an HK, FAL, M1A, whatever.  FAL's are looking pretty attractive of late, especially since you can buy cheap ($10) mags all day.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:47:39 PM EDT
[#7]
IMO, the M1A is the best .308 battle rifle ever made.  The FAL's are good if you stay away from the cheap crap.  If you have the cash to spend, you'll get a better rifle if you buy a Springfield receiver and have a good M1A 'smith build you a rifle on it.  Current Springfield rifles tend to have lots of cast reproduction parts, some of which can fail ( I had a match trigger group fail in a Springfield NM rifle after only a few thousand rounds).  If you go to www.gunandknife.com, the guys there can give you the names of some excellent 'smiths.  The only one I've had direct experience with is Clint McKee at Fulton Armory.  He's expensive, but his rifles are works of art.  A receiver will cost you around $400 or so, and to have Clint build a rack-grade rifle with all USGI parts will be another $1250.  The end result is not much more expensive than some of the Springfield 'loaded' rifles, and you get a much better product.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:56:42 PM EDT
[#8]
1. You're an American
2. They're cool
3. This is as far as I've ever needed to go.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 9:37:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Its one hell of a rifle!  If you can find one, I also like the Beretta BM59.  I have a select fire model, but the semi is really nice too.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 9:56:32 PM EDT
[#10]
So you can practice glass bedding!!!!

Removing the receiver to clean the rifle will wear out any glass bedding that was installed to accurize the rifle.  After a year of two, you will be a pro at it.

Link Posted: 1/29/2002 10:07:58 PM EDT
[#11]

I have a select fire model

I hate you.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 10:23:01 PM EDT
[#12]
You need one of these.They are one of the most enjoyable rifles to shoot.Not to mention you always get the guys aaaahhhhing when you uncase it.  

Link Posted: 1/29/2002 10:23:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Its one hell of a rifle!  If you can find one, I also like the Beretta BM59.  I have a select fire model, but the semi is really nice too.

You gonna let me shoot that before you leave for the summer? (fingers crossed)
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 10:51:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You gonna let me shoot that before you leave for the summer? (fingers crossed)

Roger that!  It just arrived this week
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 2:46:04 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
1. You're an American
2. They're cool
3. This is as far as I've ever needed to go.

I second that. I shot my first high power match with one and loved it. That was the only time I got to shoot it though. My dad sold it shortly afterward and I bought my AR. I will have my own N/M M1A someday though.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 2:56:15 AM EDT
[#16]
True love...I slept with the M-14 at 17, at 52, I still am sleeping with her sister, the M1-A.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 3:53:40 AM EDT
[#17]
There`s that evil word "need" again........it`s like the nike commercial........."just do it"...............
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 4:05:08 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Doesn't need to be pre ban to have a flash suppressor. What is cover for an M-16/AR-15 is merely concelement for an M-14/M1A. Better stopping power. If it's good enough for Randy Shughart it's good enough for me.

Hmm! Sounds like somebody already said that.

Look under the line!    M-1A's ROCK!

Ah, a little theft never hurt anyone!
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:06:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Buy one because, years later, it will still make you smile when you pull it out of the safe.

I've owned alot of rifles, but the M1A is magic !

They are wonderfull, accurate, powerfull, reliable, IRON AND WALNUT, the last of the lock, stock and barrel !
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:11:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Because it is a weapon of wood and steel. You will give it a name, you will sleep with it because it is the only piece of... oh, got carried away.

Pick one up, you will know why.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:37:39 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
....Not to mention you always get the guys aaaahhhhing when you uncase it...

Damn straight!

That, plus if your shootin' buddies don't have one, they'll invite you (and your M1A) along AND supply the .308 (at least that's what happens to me HAHA!)
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:45:03 AM EDT
[#22]
You need one because your collection of US military arms won't be complete without one.  

Of course you DO already have a Garand, AR-15, M1917 Enfield, and '03 Springfield, right?  Right?

And besides, the M1A/M14 looks so damn evil with a huge freakin' scope mounted on it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:49:05 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
And besides, the M1A/M14 looks so damn evil with a huge freakin' scope mounted on it.

Yup - its a DiFi panty wetter.

Link Posted: 1/30/2002 8:08:43 AM EDT
[#24]
An M1A has a charisma unlike any other.

Nothing like slinging up a fine piece of walnut and pound away on a bowling ball swinging on a chain at 300yds. Some people need drugs/ alcohol to escape reality.....M1A is all I need.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 8:25:34 AM EDT
[#25]
You know...the M1A and USGI mags are horribly expensive. It really isn't anymore accurate than an AR10 can be. It doesn't have a lot of features which the FAL has....

It really isn't anything more than an Improved M1 Garand with a different gas system, detachable magazine and shortened receiver...

"So Why Get One ?"

That was my attitude (and reasoning).. You see I had (still have) a lot of different types of rifles. I had a lot of FALS, AR's, AK's.. and I loved the FAL.

Then I made some a little money on the stock market in a days worth of trades..and I thought .."What the Heck ?" So I went out and bought an M1A and some USGI mags that I saw in my local gunshop.

I took it home and I still wasn't impressed...so it sat in my safe for a couple of months..and then I decided to take it to the range for a little tryout along with my FAL.

After having first shot my FAL (which I considered to be the "Ultimate Battle Rifle"..) I then picked up the M1A..and shot it...
The first shots were a little to the left and a little high..so I made a few adjustments to the rear sight..until the rifle was shooting dead on. I was also thinking.."Gee! this doesn't recoil as hard as my FAL! And I have a nicer Sight Picture! And the Sights are NICER! Trigger Pull is Nice..Crisp! No Creep! and LIGHTER!..in fact it feels comfortable and just right!"

Then I changed the target during a cease fire..
and started to shoot...and that was when I was HOOKED! I saw that my groups were 1/2 - 1/3 the size of my Groups from my FAL.
I tried to shoot off hand..and the M1A Rifle came up to my shoulder fast and graceful..its balance made it point naturally and the Sight Picture was immediately ON target.
(Now..I'm a big guy..and I know that everyone is a little different..long or short..but that standard M1A seemed to just fit me PERFECTLY..the stock had just the right amount of length or pull..and dropped just the right amount).

I then thought about all of the older guys who raved on and on about the M1A..and I then thought, that they were definately onto something here.

My Next 2 Rifles ended up being a National Match and a Super Match M1A.

IF you are short..and are under 6 Feet tall..you might want to consider getting the M1A Scout Rifle..since it will probably handle better for your size.

So..what happened to my FAL's ? I still got them..but I now almost exclusively shoot the M1A. It is that nice. The Ergonomics, the handling, the sights over come it's shortcomings with respect to the FAL.

The FAL is cheaper, has cheaper Mags, has an Adjustable Gas System, breaks down nicer and is easier to keep it clean in the field than the M1A..

But the M1A just plain shoots BETTER, I get FASTER target Acquisistion with the M1A than with the FAL..which means I can put a bullet into a target FASTER with the M1A than I can with the FAL. Oh..there were a few other little advantages..the M1A's rear sight is windage adjustable..(don't need to pack along a screw driver like you do with the FAL)..the Safety is centrally located ..right on the trigger guard so you can flick it off or on with your trigger finger..and the Bolt LOCKS OPEN after firing the LAST round..this is a VERY IMPORTANT feature.

And for me..that makes all the difference..in spite of nearly bankrupting myself on USGI mags..it was worth it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top