Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2012 8:00:05 AM EDT
I had my 10/22 cut and threaded. I asked for a target crown. My first outing did not reproduce the results it did when it was factory new with the same ammo. Is this a good target crown?
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 8:37:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I've seen target crowns from 11 to 17 degrees, even under threads.

The flat crown looks unusual, to me anyway.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 8:45:59 AM EDT
[#2]
is it concave at all? I can't tell

my 40xb is nicely concave - my 10/22 was stepped but, after threading the step was gone (I didn't want to recrown- damn accurate barrel as is) so I had the thread protector act as the target crown without the can

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, the crown looks fine.

The main thing to look at is there are no burrs or knicks around the crown and it's smooth & even.

Try different ammo as the barrel is shorter than before. The barrel harmonics are different now.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yes, the crown looks fine.

The main thing to look at is there are no burrs or knicks around the crown and it's smooth & even.

Try different ammo as the barrel is shorter than before. The barrel harmonics are different now.

^This

You changed the harmonics, it's got a different vibe. You'll have to test some different ammo to find out what it likes now.

Don't worry too much about the crown unless a) it looks like crap and has visable defects with a magnafying glass or b) It won't shoot any ammo worth crap.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 6:51:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
is it concave at all? I can't tell

my 40xb is nicely concave - my 10/22 was stepped but, after threading the step was gone (I didn't want to recrown- damn accurate barrel as is) so I had the thread protector act as the target crown without the can

That thread protector looks good.  It protects the muzzle like a recessed target crown.

I usually make straight crowns as it is so easy, and hard to screw up.  You don't have to dial in the bore for a straight cut, and it looks right for large diameter barrel target rifles.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 7:14:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I have done some testing on harmonics of a barrel by taking a 20" 10-22 barrel and chopping 1/2 inch at a time and shooting for groups
with the same ammo at each length.
Started out with 1.25 groups and it got better after I took the first inch off then the groups grew again and after a few more chopps
the groups got small again.
Done the same test with AR dedicated 22 barrels, 223, 308 and even a couple pistol caliber barrels and they all did the same thing.
You could call it finding the wave for your bullet to ride on.
This is one of the reasons hand loaded ammo can get some of the best groups possible from a barrel as
you they can make a load that rides the smooth part of the wave, with 22 Lr you just need to find what ammo the barrel likes
or start chopping the barrel to work with the ammo.
For most its easier to find the ammo that the barrel likes
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:03:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have done some testing on harmonics of a barrel by taking a 20" 10-22 barrel and chopping 1/2 inch at a time and shooting for groups
with the same ammo at each length.
Started out with 1.25 groups and it got better after I took the first inch off then the groups grew again and after a few more chopps
the groups got small again.
Done the same test with AR dedicated 22 barrels, 223, 308 and even a couple pistol caliber barrels and they all did the same thing.
You could call it finding the wave for your bullet to ride on.
This is one of the reasons hand loaded ammo can get some of the best groups possible from a barrel as
you they can make a load that rides the smooth part of the wave, with 22 Lr you just need to find what ammo the barrel likes
or start chopping the barrel to work with the ammo.
For most its easier to find the ammo that the barrel likes

Well done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top