Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2016 3:02:32 PM EDT
I have an Omega coming, eventually. 3 weeks into a F3
Thinking about using it as direct thread on Grendel SBR to keep it shorter. May use the mount I honestly don't know
Also thinking of buying a dedicated 556 can for a 10.5 gun. Something like a SRD556 when available, or whenever.

I own a ti-rant 9mm and it tends to loosen its self.

Same thing with rifle cans?
Are yall putting something on the threads?
I just know I don't wanna be hand tightening all day.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:09:23 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I have an Omega coming, eventually. 3 weeks into a F3

Thinking about using it as direct thread on Grendel SBR to keep it shorter. May use the mount I honestly don't know

Also thinking of buying a dedicated 556 can for a 10.5 gun. Something like a SRD556 when available, or whenever.

I own a ti-rant 9mm and it tends to loosen its self.

Same thing with rifle cans?

Are yall putting something on the threads?

I just know I don't wanna be hand tightening all day.
View Quote

Depends on the use of the rifle. For me if it's a hunting or bench gun then direct threads are fine and I don't put anything on the threads. If I'm taking a class or doing rapid shooting and I don't want to worry about a can coming loose then I prefer a QD mount system.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:34:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I give mine a good twist when first attaching them. They rarely come loose but I only use mine for bench shooting or general plinking in the back yard. If I want something I don't have to worry about and can run hard then I use a QD can. I also don't apply anything to the threads.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:48:58 PM EDT
[#3]
put some elbow grease on it when you tighten it - enough stress on the threads and it's not coming off unless you want it to.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:32:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, they loosen. Anyone who tells you that you just need to "snap your wrist and it'll never loosen" doesn't know what they're talking about. It depends on the exact tolerances between the threads of both the silencer and the rifle. I have a Spartan 3 that I torqued to 30 ft-lbs and it loosened. I put two drops of Resbond on it, torqued it to 30 ft-lbs, and it's not going anywhere now.

I don't like thread on cans, and would only buy one that has wrench flats like the Spartan 3 or those Sig cans so you can use a proper wrench to get it off after using threadlocker. Unless the absolute minimum possible weight is a big concern, QD wins every time for me.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:04:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't like thread on cans, and would only buy one that has wrench flats like the Spartan 3 or those Sig cans so you can use a proper wrench to get it off after using threadlocker. Unless the absolute minimum possible weight is a big concern, QD wins every time for me.
View Quote

I feel the exact opposite.  I do not understand the need for QD cans that require a rocksetted mount to be purchased for every rifle the user owns.  These QD cans are also unable to be tested out by a buddy at the range on his rifle either, since he probably won't have a QD mount.  Aesthetically, I think the QD mount looks stupid on the end of the rifle.

I am 100% direct thread, but then again I am only a Lvl 2 M@ll Ninja 3lite Oper8tr.  Once I get some more merit badges maybe things will change.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
put some elbow grease on it when you tighten it - enough stress on the threads and it's not coming off unless you want it to.
View Quote

This.  I have 4 different direct thread cans with no problems on many different hosts.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:28:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I feel the exact opposite.  I do not understand the need for QD cans that require a rocksetted mount to be purchased for every rifle the user owns.  These QD cans are also unable to be tested out by a buddy at the range on his rifle either, since he probably won't have a QD mount.  Aesthetically, I think the QD mount looks stupid on the end of the rifle.

I am 100% direct thread, but then again I am only a Lvl 2 M@ll Ninja 3lite Oper8tr.  Once I get some more merit badges maybe things will change.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I very much enjoy the look of a muzzle device on a black gun.
Your post matches your user name though
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok by me.  I am just glad more people are starting to shoot with silencers.  Funny, the .35 is the only gun I haven't suppressed.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:56:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I hand tightened my Gemtech Trek on a 6920 and now I can't get it off at all.  Sometimes they don't loosen up.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:11:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I have an omega direct threaded onto a 8 inch 300blk.  I use copper anti seize on the threads.  It only comes off when I want it to and does not loosen up at all.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:16:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Lock washers.....

Txl
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:17:18 AM EDT
[#12]
With lock washers, wouldn't there be a chance of the silencer not sitting perfectly straight?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:29:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
With lock washers, wouldn't there be a chance of the silencer not sitting perfectly straight?
View Quote

Nah
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:16:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

That would definitely be my fear
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top