Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2007 5:11:30 AM EDT
Tactical Solutions 10/22 Barrels…
Hey people these barrels have been mentioned here before, so I thought I might get some insight again.  They are almost twice as expensive as the competition but they are made of aluminum with a steel sleeve so you get a lot of weigh savings.  I mean a little gun like a 10/22 should not be slow and front heavy; this kind of barrel makes a lot of sense.  What kind of accuracy are you getting out of yours?  Reliability?  longevity?  I am thinking about getting the threaded version with a comp but much later I might get a suppressor.  Pricy 
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 8:11:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I just put a threaded TacSol barrel one on one of my 10/22s and took it to the range yesterday. With a Tasco ProPoint 3 I had laying around, it will put all rounds in the area of a quarter at 50-yards using Aguila SE subsonics. With an Outback II on it, the loadest sound was the bullet going through the cardboard target.

My little bit of researched showed that most threaded barrels start at $150 and go up from there, so the price for the TacSol wasn't too out of line with the competition. I chose the TacSol because of the weight saving vs. getting something like a GM threaded barrel. I also put a Hogue OM stock on it. I am utterly amazed at how light the whole package ended up being.

I had an old Weaver K4 scope on the 10/22 originally. I may put that back on, but I kind of like the high-speed, low-drag look of the red dot on the rifle now.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 8:13:15 AM EDT
[#2]
You can thread your OEM barrel for $75 or less.........and make it any length you want.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 8:31:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I've never been wild about the accuracy of the factory barrel, plus I've had a heck of a time finding someone willing to work on "mundane" and small dollar projects like this -- at least, trouble with finding someone I would trust to do the job right in a reasonable amount of time.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 8:46:39 AM EDT
[#4]
tagging because I am looking at barrels right now
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 8:49:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 3:27:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a threaded TacSol barrel in a Hogue OM stock. It was never consistant and I never got better than 1.5" groups at 50. I sent it back to TacSol. They sent me a target stating"we shot groups of 1/2" and under, freehand at 50 yards". Maybe they did. I bought a GM fluted blued that does shoot 1/2" and under at 50 yards consistantly with Federal Auto Match. Something that I am willing to buy and shoot.
I will say the customer service is very good as they traded me a PacLite upper for it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 9:51:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've never been wild about the accuracy of the factory barrel, plus I've had a heck of a time finding someone willing to work on "mundane" and small dollar projects like this -- at least, trouble with finding someone I would trust to do the job right in a reasonable amount of time.

Randall turned down a 77/22 bbl for me i have a turned down 10/22 as well.
i'm not one of those  1 ragged hole MOA shooters. i hit what i aim for, most of the time
so i'm happy running a stock threaded bbl.  the money i saved , got me a trail-lite bbl for my browning.  now that baby with or w/out my TAC-65  does do them thar ragged holes
besides randal  http://www.ar15barrels.com/
check these guys out they're getting my MK II bbl  
http://www.tornado-technologies.com/services.html
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 10:21:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I have wrung out serveral factory 10-22 bbls at 100+ yards with bad triggers and cheap scopes.  Mundane?  What are you trying to do?  I don't think a TACSOL bbl will knit your a silk purse.............
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 5:43:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Mundane?  What are you trying to do?  I don't think a TACSOL bbl will knit your a silk purse.............

I'm referring to the attitude I've gotten from some local 'smiths when I try to talk to them about threading projects, or attempts to get a couple of shotgun barrels shortened and threaded to take chokes. As soon as they realized I wasn't calling to have a $2000 custom rifle/pistol built, they said they were too busy to take on work.

The flip side is that places like Tornado Technologies replied to my initial request within 24 hours, followed by a request for pictures of their work, and they replied again within 24 hours. I was asking about threading a S&W 41 barrel, something not many want to try, so that's why I wanted pictures to see what they can do. Places like this will get my business.

However, I'm not going to try to thread the factory 10/22 barrel -- not when that job will cost me almost half what a TacSol barrel would run. I know what the factory barrel can (and can't) do in terms of accuracy, and I wanted something more accurate, shorter, lighter, and threaded. The TacSol barrel fits the bill. For one-hole accuracy, I have another 10/22  that's been tarted up with a bedded Shilen match barrel, trigger job, etc.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 5:22:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, my local 'smith quoted me $125 and up just to thread the damn barrel.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 10:23:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You can buy a new 16.5" threaded barrel from Tactical Innovations for $125 !

www.tacticalinc.com/threaded-twist-ruger-1022-barrel-p-534.html
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 1:27:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can buy a new 16.5" threaded barrel from Tactical Innovations for $125 !

www.tacticalinc.com/threaded-twist-ruger-1022-barrel-p-534.html

+1
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:14:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Man, I almost pulled the trigger on that Tactical Innovations barrel, when I realized that it was in a Ruger stock. It isn't a bull barrel, and therefor won't fit my OD Hogue stock that's inbound.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top