Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2004 12:11:12 PM EDT
I was recently given a Mossberg 500. I have already bought the 18.5" bbl for it. I have also ordered a Speedfeed stock. I would also like to get the ghost ring sights from Mossberg. Once it is all put together, I'm going to paint it either O.D. or black or a two-tone. Any ideas how the shiny reciever will take the paint? Also, what about the chrome bolt? And, the reciever is tapped from the factory to accept a scope mount. I can not find the scope mount that fits this. I've checked on Mossberg's site and I don't see it, but I could be missing it. Can I even use a scope mount with the ghost ring sights? Most of the time nothing will be on the scope mont, and I think that the ghost rings are up high enough to see over it with out a problem. I'm just worried that the scope mount is too long. I don't mind cutting some off if I need to. I know it would have been easier to start with the 590, but the 500 was the right price (free), and when it was given to me, he told me not to sell it.  Sorry there is so many questions, but I've been saving them up.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:58:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Mossberg receivers are alloy (not traditional steel) and don't blue at all or hold paint well for that matter.  Brownells makes a spray paint called alum-n-hide (sorry if spelling is not 100%) that works well for a matte black on alloy / aluminum parts like your mossberg receiver.  Even if you wanted to go O.D. or camo, I would first primer then alum-n-hide it to get a good solid base, THEN go with your final color choice.  Added benefit, if you scratch the final finish, your scratch would be flat black Vs. Shiney Silver!

Hope this helps!

CRB - A.K.A. Bigger Hammer
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:04:48 PM EDT
[#2]
what is a speedfeld stock?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:05:30 PM EDT
[#3]
sorry, speedfeed?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:24:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:06:20 AM EDT
[#5]
the holes on your receiver may be for the ghost ring sight.  I'll try and check out my 500 and y 590 this evening and let you know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top