Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2020 9:48:25 AM EDT
I currently have a silencerco hybrid direct thread on a 300 blackout and an AEM5 that was just approved for a recce clone. I have a mk18 and am putting together a 13.7" upper and want a shorter suppressor than my hybrid to run on them. I'm pretty sold on the RC2 even though there's reports of it being "loud". Can any of you with an RC2 weigh in with your opinion of it or tell me if I should look at another option?
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 11:24:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought one. It's in jail. Get ready for people to guide you to their brand can, mostly because they don't want to pay a little bit more for Surefire.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 11:28:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought one. It's in jail. Get ready for people to guide you to their brand can, mostly because they don't want to pay a little bit more for Surefire.
View Quote

Kinda what I'm expecting. I don't care about the price of the surefire. I just like the minimal POI shift, blowback, and durability I've read about on the surefire. I have a silencerco hybrid on my blackout if I want a quiet gun.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 11:39:15 AM EDT
[#3]
The weakness of Surefire cans is their muzzle devices and mount.

If you want quite, stick with the 3 prong flashider and skip the Warcomp.

https://pewscience.com/sound-signature-reviews-free/sss-6-26-surefire-762rc2-savage-308
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 11:44:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

https://pewscience.com/sound-signature-reviews-free/sss-6-26-surefire-762rc2-savage-308
View Quote

I planned on running a 3 prong on my mk18 and warcomp to get 16" OAL on a 13.7".
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 12:06:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I currently have a silencerco hybrid direct thread on a 300 blackout and an AEM5 that was just approved for a recce clone. I have a mk18 and am putting together a 13.7" upper and want a shorter suppressor than my hybrid to run on them. I'm pretty sold on the RC2 even though there's reports of it being "loud". Can any of you with an RC2 weigh in with your opinion of it or tell me if I should look at another option?
View Quote

All of my friends who have RC2's love them. My complaint about them is:

-Use the brake or FH, not the warcomps that kill your labyrinth seal. Moving to brakes has nearly eliminated my stuck can issue.
-Nothing will mitigate the gas fouling coming out that alignment notch.

Link Posted: 11/13/2020 12:27:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ive seen surefire ragged on here the last few years but this is the first time I have ever seen anyone hate on their mounts or muzzle devices
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 1:31:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ive seen surefire ragged on here the last few years but this is the first time I have ever seen anyone hate on their mounts or muzzle devices
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First of all, thanks to folks for highlighting my data!

Second of all, to be clear, when I wrote that test report, it was not my intent to "hate" on their mounts/muzzle devices.  The WARCOMP is simply not intended for sustained suppressed operation; the designer of the mount and silencers told me it is intended for operators requiring enhanced unsuppressed shooting dynamics (less muzzle rise, etc - stuff I don't really focus on, as someone who just looks at sound signature and pressure parameters in testing).  The WARCOMP is basically for folks who shoot their gun unsuppressed a lot, and want an option to suppress it in a pinch.  This is straight from Barry to me.  Just saying what he told me.

I didn't know that when I first tested the silencer with the WARCOMP back in May, and that's why I waited until I could test it a second time with the proper "suppressed" mount - I wanted to make sure the data didn't mislead people.  If I had released the data back in May, first, without testing the 762-RC2 on the SOCOM 3-Prong Flash Hider, I think I would have done a disservice to the community, and definitely to Surefire.  I was actually a little red-faced when I talked with Surefire, because I probably should have done more research before testing on the WARCOMP but in the end I'm glad I did so people would have the data.

Until I had completely analyzed all the data, I didn't realize how cool the RC2 actually is.  Sure, it's heavy and long but dang.... the low back pressure in a silencer of its sound performance is pretty dang interesting to me.  Not the quietest thing but definitely not the loudest.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 3:09:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Everything is "loud" compared to my AEM5, that said, I have x2 556 RC2 and a 556 RC. Zero regrets.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 7:14:05 PM EDT
[#10]
The warcomps are awesome but they do foul up/lock up faster than the FHs and MBs.

Sure, there are downsides to the SF cans, but at 6.2" and 17oz, that's what I'll buying while I wait for Dead Air and Rugged to roll out dedicated 556 cans.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 7:41:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I assume the issue with the MINI2 is it's not suitable for SBR's?  Certainly the performance seems comparable,
  • RC2: 133 dB
  • MINI2: 134 dB
Shorter.  Lighter.  Are there other advantages to the RC2?
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 2:23:56 AM EDT
[#12]
TBAC Dominus K.   Adds 4.5 inches and weighs 10 oz.   that is an amazing can
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 8:06:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I’d look hard at the Turbo K.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 8:13:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 12:43:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 2:02:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted: Silencer shop's range report is running ~7-8DB louder on the Mini2 vs the RC2. That's making it seem like 1DB isn't the difference between the two models.
View Quote
Looks to me like the MINI2 (142.89 dB ear average) outperformed the RC2 (146.60 dB ear average).  That would seem to call into question the integrity of the Silencer Shop data.  At a minimum, they botched the RC2 ear average.  Am I reading the data wrong?

Link Posted: 11/14/2020 2:31:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 1:59:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 4:46:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Kinda what I'm expecting. I don't care about the price of the surefire. I just like the minimal POI shift, blowback, and durability I've read about on the surefire. I have a silencerco hybrid on my blackout if I want a quiet gun.
View Quote

KAC QDC is super similar except the mounting interface is superior. I have multiple socom cans and now a QDC.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 5:46:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Get the RC2 you won't regret it. It has less back pressure than a lot of other 5.56 cans, the mount is rock solid, it is plenty quiet. I wish I could replace my 5.56 Griffin M4SD II for another Surefire.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 7:57:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Any 5.56 can is going to be loud. If you're chasing decibels, you're in the wrong caliber/can combination.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 10:17:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Any 5.56 can is going to be loud. If you're chasing decibels, you're in the wrong caliber/can combination.
View Quote

AEM5 ain't too loud haha
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 11:10:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Get the RC2 you won't regret it. It has less back pressure than a lot of other 5.56 cans, the mount is rock solid, it is plenty quiet. I wish I could replace my 5.56 Griffin M4SD II for another Surefire.
View Quote

What is you issue with the M4SD?
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 8:53:13 AM EDT
[#25]
I just learned that the 7.62 mini is the same size as the 556. Is there a significant loss in sound reduction by going to the 7.62? I like the idea of being able to use it on .308 down the road. I have a can that will handle that already, but plan to use it as a dedicated .300 blackout.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 9:45:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I just learned that the 7.62 mini is the same size as the 556. Is there a significant loss in sound reduction by going to the 7.62? I like the idea of being able to use it on .308 down the road. I have a can that will handle that already, but plan to use it as a dedicated .300 blackout.
View Quote

I have one in jail. It's my understanding that, at the ear, the 762mini and RC2 will produce similar decibals but the 762mini will have a lower tone. I liked the form factor of the rc2 and the ability to throw it on a .30 caliber bolt gun or a .300blk gun later on was attractive to me.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 9:53:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

What is you issue with the M4SD?
View Quote

I'm not saying it's a bad suppressor. But my two biggest complaints when compared to the RC2 would be back pressure and weight.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

My friend bought one with that same line of thinking and regretted it, it is loud and has a huge flash signature on shorter barrels.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#29]
If the Warcomp is not designed for/preferred for long term suppressor use, then which of the remaining Surefire muzzle devices are recommended for primarily suppressed shooting?  I have a couple of MK18's (DD factory uppers) that I'm looking to suppress and was planning on using Warcomps paired with RC2's.  I have a 7.62 Warcomp on my self built AR-10 and its great regarding flash/muzzle rise suppression, but I also plan to get a 7.62 RC2 for that eventually.   So, in other words, now is the time to change.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 3:15:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 8:36:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The suppressor weight is ~1/2 ounce heavier.  The mounts for the M4SD II are about 1-1.5 ounces lighter than surefire muzzle devices, so the system weight of the M4SD II is ~ 1/2 to 1 ounce lighter than the RC2.    The new ECO-FLO baffles are going in future M4SD II suppressors so they will have lower backpressure, and lower ear signature- probably half ounce lighter weight.  Before the DEA FAST team was disbanded, they selected the M4SD K over the Surefire suppressor after a T&E of the units.

View Quote

I can't speak to the muzzle device weights because I have not weighed them. But the back pressure is significantly more compared to the RC2. That's great you are changing the baffle design to decrease back pressure but that does me no good or people buying the current design. The surefire can in my opinion is better, I've shot thousands of rounds through both cans on various sbr's and the surefire is my prefered can.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 10:59:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Pic
Just got mine, haven't shot it yet, and I barely bought another warcomp and read this thread smh
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 10:32:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 1:55:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

A warcomp won't get you to 16" with a 13.7" barrel, consider thread overlap in your calculations. A warcomp will get a 14.5" barrel to 16.1".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I planned on running a 3 prong on my mk18 and warcomp to get 16" OAL on a 13.7".

A warcomp won't get you to 16" with a 13.7" barrel, consider thread overlap in your calculations. A warcomp will get a 14.5" barrel to 16.1".

Not to be nit-picky but the 3 prong Warcomp installed on 14.5 should be an OAL of:

16.54in plus whatever shims are needed unless my math is wrong

14.5 barrel length - .625 of thread (Average length on a milspec barrel) + the Warcomps length of 2.67in = 16.54in (not including any shims)

It’s unfortunate that these numbers are so important. Someone please correct me if I am wrong

Link Posted: 11/22/2020 6:48:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The design has been changed the first cans with the flow through design were sold in January (30SDK's).  We can upgrade the cores it has a cost and requires blasting, cutting, re-coreing, rewelding, repainting but it can be done.  It's not something we really want to do (it isn't efficient or a batch process), but it is something that can be done.  I don't know what the cost is.  That would be a customer service inquiry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't speak to the muzzle device weights because I have not weighed them. But the back pressure is significantly more compared to the RC2. That's great you are changing the baffle design to decrease back pressure but that does me no good or people buying the current design. The surefire can in my opinion is better, I've shot thousands of rounds through both cans on various sbr's and the surefire is my prefered can.

The design has been changed the first cans with the flow through design were sold in January (30SDK's).  We can upgrade the cores it has a cost and requires blasting, cutting, re-coreing, rewelding, repainting but it can be done.  It's not something we really want to do (it isn't efficient or a batch process), but it is something that can be done.  I don't know what the cost is.  That would be a customer service inquiry.

@green0 any word on re-baffling the SD and K lines become an option?
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 5:19:28 PM EDT
[#36]
@Green0 see above
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 5:47:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top