Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2005 9:45:39 PM EDT
I'm looking to get a Sufefire light for everyday use and also as a firearm training light. I was wondering if you could answer a few questions and help me in deciding which is best.

I plan to use it for everyday carry, camping and as a defensive light but I don't know how many lumens I would need to blind a home attacker in my house at night if need be. Also are all Sure Fires water proof? Some say so and some have no mention of it.

The models I'm looking at that caught my eye are:

E1L Outdoorsman:
Pros:
small and takes only 1 battery
Battrey lasts 4 hours

Cons:
only has 24 lumens(don't know if that is bad)
battery only lasts 1 hour at high output

E2L Outdoorsmen:
Pros:
30 lumens(is that enough to blind someone?)
Battery last 6 hours

Cons:
Takes 2 batteries
Batteries last 6 hours but only 3 at full output
A little longer in length

L2 Lumamax:
Pros:
15 and 100 lumens settings
Batteries last 18 hours on 15 lumens setting!

Cons:
Long at 6.1 inches
100 Lumens last only 1 hour

L4 Lumamax
Pros:
65 lumens
nice size

Cons:
batteries only last 2. hours and only 1 hour at full out put.

Anyother I should look at? Maybe the L5 Lumamax for the special grip? There are so many choices and specs to choose from! So far it seems like the EL2 Outdoorsmen is the best trade off for lumens out put and batteries life. Thank you for any input!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:45:32 AM EDT
[#1]
the L2 just plain kicks ass, loooong run time on the battery, super bright(not quite as brilliant as the regular bulbs, as the light is not quite as white, more blue) its just a good all around light, 15 lumen for working on stuff and just looking around, and 100 to use for "social occasions"
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:55:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I have an L4.  Great size and awesome output.  Perfect for everday carry and bright enough to blind temporarily.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#3]
My favorite Surefire is probably the C2 but you might check out the Gladius from night ops.. I love mine.. Variable light output to save battery life, lockout capable so it won't activate in your pack and burn your ass, strobe feature is great for tactical operations, momentary and constant on/off... It's got a hell of a price on it but it is several lights in one....
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:01:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I have an older Surefire 6P 2-cells, with a 60 lumens lamp.  In broad daylight if you get hit square in the eyes within 10 feet or so, the light is blinding.  To me 60 lumens is more than adequate, unless you have a need for lighting up something a block away, then you would probably need the 100lumen lamp, but then the run-time to exhaust the batteries decreases dramatically.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:56:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you guys! This info helps. So would the lower rated 25-30 lumens be enough to blind someone up close in a defensive situation or would I need 60+ Lumens?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:09:26 AM EDT
[#6]
go with the E2D
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top