Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 10:57:12 AM EDT
I found what I consider one of the ultimate knives. It's a Strider SnG Nightmare with Damascus blade. Unfortunately, I could build a pretty nice AR15 for the price.....$1350!

What makes Striders so friggin' expensive? I know that one-of's are high dollar, I've spent some time drooling at knifeart.com. But aside from the blade, that Strider is practically a production knife.

Looks like I'll be saving some pennies, and heading over to knfeart.com to get a damascus folder. I found a pretty nice one for $675. I know that's a lot of money, but I want a really nice knife for the times when a gun is not a feasable option for defense. And I want damascus, because it looks so sexy.

This was just a mini-rant. Maybe I could sell some blodd-plasma or something..... Maybe I'll just find stuff around here I don't use to sell off.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:57:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Striders are great blades. It's your money and if you think its worth it, go for it. Strider knives will not let you down. They are expensive because true quality is'nt cheap. They stand behind their products 100%. That Damascus is beautiful is'nt it?

If you are looking for a good defensive blade, stay with a fixed blade. There are much cheaper options, although not quite as pretty as the strider, but then looks don't matter much when it gets to the nitty gritty. Check out the Becker line. The BK7 is only $39 bucks at cheaper than dirt and holds a great edge. With 0170-6C carbon steel it is an awesome blade for the money and will allow you to save for that Strider while still giving you a defensive blade to fall back on. Here's a link,

www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?dept%5Fid=1540&sku=DBA%2D838&imgid=&mscssid=5XTR0G7EJP5L8PUGHSJE0BLP0JAT6Q65

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:48:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Strider is the big name knifemaker now a days, like Emerson so you pay more for the name. I've handled my buddies Nightmare and personally I don't see the big deal.....and not for 1350. Like you mentioned it's pretty much a custom ground blade on a production handle. If it was me I'd go for a Bob T ATCF over the Strider for a custom carry knife......Striders are very tough and well made knives...but how tough does it really have to be for everyday carry? do you really want to cut sheet metal or bust up cider blocks with a 1350.00 custom knife?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:12:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:30:56 PM EDT
[#4]
They are NOT even close to worth the price!!!!! Strider are just another hyped product. For $350 for a basic model does not even get you a real handle, you get a cheep para-chord wrap!!!! That is not exceptable in my book. There are just as good and even better knives to be had at half the price. I say this as a Strider owner. I own a GB Folder and it has lots of side to side blade play and does not lock up very tight and it is in mint condition and never even used! The G10 handles are squard off and it's like holding a piece of brick that is sharp, very poor handle design and extreemly uncomfortable! I'm extreemly dissaponted I wasted my money but I bought into the hype a few years back and bought a couple Striders....never again!

I would go Busse also if I was in this market again.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:27:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
screw strider. go with either a busse, or my personal favorite, a swamp rat. in my opinion, either will be far better than a strider, and the swamp rats will be far cheaper!

only problem is, they are production, but limited production. if you don't know the ins and outs of either, shoot me or BrianNH an IM, and we'll let you know more.

anyhoo, those two are about the best and toughest things going right now, as far as production knives go.

do you have any pictures of the Swamp Rat folder? I can't find it on the website.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:41:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Striders for taking apart things.  Emersons for taking apart people.  You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:50:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:08:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Strider is over-priced, especially their so called custom knives!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:30:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I've prolly owned/used every knife known to man, & a Strider SnG or an SMF is always w/ me.  Always!

Those of you who constantly bash Striders for their "price" are prolly the same guys who'll diss someone for their overpriced Rolex.  Is a Porsche really that much better than a Volkswagen?  Hhhmmmmm...

You get what you pay for, period.  Strider does alot of good w/ the funds they get for their knives.  Stuff you never hear about.  Stuff I can guarantee those other knife makers don't.

I'm proud of where my dollars are spent.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:15:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've prolly owned/used every knife known to man, & a Strider SnG or an SMF is always w/ me.  Always!

Those of you who constantly bash Striders for their "price" are prolly the same guys who'll diss someone for their overpriced Rolex.  Is a Porsche really that much better than a Volkswagen?  Hhhmmmmm...

You get what you pay for, period.  Strider does alot of good w/ the funds they get for their knives.  Stuff you never hear about.  Stuff I can guarantee those other knife makers don't.

I'm proud of where my dollars are spent.

You do get what you pay for but only to a point, with a using knife you can get exactly what Strider offers in other knives for much less money. You grind, finish, heat treat and handle a knife. That does not cost $400-1000+ in the toughness dept.

I'm intrested in what Strider does with the money though. If it is to a good cause I might be happier to spend money with them and would not mind the sky high prices though. I feel the same way about Busse though....sky high prices for a semi production knife.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:17:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:48:06 AM EDT
[#12]
For $350 - $450, you can land some very impressive custom knives that are at worst, equal to the Striders, and made to your specifications.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:44:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd like to know who makes a custom knife that will stand up to the abuse I've put my strider through, for the same preice? I doubt there is one, the guys at strider are awesome! I am lucky enough to live close by so I bought mine right at the shop, and when I went to buy it I asked for a custom made kydex sheath as well, I tole 'em what I wanted and they made it, just like I wanted. When I cam back about an hour later they gave me the knife BOTH sheaths a t-shirt for 250$ I am in the military so they give me a discount. But WOW, the service was awesome! While I was in Iraq, we needed a small obsevation/mouse hole in the side of a building, I took my strider and chiseled out a 5"x6" hole in the wall, NO damage to the blade. s30v is one of the best blade steels out there, and alot of people think the steel Busse uses is overhyped. I have not owned a Busse, so I cant comment, but you CANNOT beat a strider. And if you break a knife of thiers, no matter what you did, they will replace or fix it. Oh, and busse knives go for just as much or mare than striders do, especially thier"custom" knives. And the 550 cord handle is great too, so many uses, feels great in the hand, etc. etc.

greeat knives
Semper Fi
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:10:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
They are NOT even close to worth the price!!!!! Strider are just another hyped product. For $350 for a basic model does not even get you a real handle, you get a cheep para-chord wrap!!!! That is not exceptable in my book. There are just as good and even better knives to be had at half the price. I say this as a Strider owner. I own a GB Folder and it has lots of side to side blade play and does not lock up very tight and it is in mint condition and never even used! The G10 handles are squard off and it's like holding a piece of brick that is sharp, very poor handle design and extreemly uncomfortable! I'm extreemly dissaponted I wasted my money but I bought into the hype a few years back and bought a couple Striders....never again!

I would go Busse also if I was in this market again.

If there's a problem with any Strider knife, send it in to the guys and they will make it right.
My guess is that if you tighten the pivot you will get rid of both the side to side play and any lock-up issues.

I've never seen a GB that had squared off G-10, all i've handled has been nicely rounded.

I cannot for my life understand why anyone would buy something for $ 350 and when it apparently isn't working properly they don't do anything about it?? (like contacting the maker of said product)
Very much beyond me...

My opinion is that they are well worth it...

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/8058/strider69mx.jpg
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:25:51 PM EDT
[#15]
tagged, Im in the market
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
not to bash you or your choice of knives, but trust me, strider is not the only knife company out there that donates proceeds of their sales or knives themselves to military and charities, etc. strider makes a decent knife, but not for the price. they use decent steels and other materials, but for the price, i would much rather get a busse, or better yet, TWO swamp rats, either of which are made from more durable and flexible steels, and come with better and more ergonomic handles.
and, the guys (and gals) from busse and swamp rat are not apt to insult their customers for disagreeing with them.

What are you saying Hank? Striders ATS-34 or S30V is too brittle?

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:55:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
not to bash you or your choice of knives, but trust me, strider is not the only knife company out there that donates proceeds of their sales or knives themselves to military and charities, etc. strider makes a decent knife, but not for the price. they use decent steels and other materials, but for the price, i would much rather get a busse, or better yet, TWO swamp rats, either of which are made from more durable and flexible steels, and come with better and more ergonomic handles.
and, the guys (and gals) from busse and swamp rat are not apt to insult their customers for disagreeing with them.

What are you saying Hank? Striders ATS-34 or S30V is too brittle?

i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/BrianNH/wb_tip_snapped.jpg

That is why Striders are way over priced.  My Emerson Spec-War fixed blade looked just like that after slamming it into a solid oak block. The blade snapped, ATS34 is not for hard use knives. S30V is a little better but not much.
I'b bet I can break a strider and then put a cheep Cold Steel SRK or Recon Scout through the same thing that broke the Strider and the Cold Steel would be unbroken.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:39:36 PM EDT
[#18]
BrianNH how the hell did you do that?!?!  And I've busted a Cold steel SRK
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:50:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I have forged, built and sold about 20 knives.  I have owned most major makers.

I GAVE AWAY my Strider.  It was horrible.  The ergonmics sucked, and the edge geometry was on par with a knife I made when I was 10.  I really wanted to like the knife.  When I got it, I was absolutely sick to my stomach it was such a piece of crap, and I had spent hundreds of dollars on it.

RUN AWAY.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:04:47 PM EDT
[#20]
BTW.  From my experience knife users come from two camps:

1) Guys who love the idea of a pry-bar tool type knife.
2) Guys who need to use a knife for constant cutting and expect the knife to be efficient cutting instruments.

People from the first camp tend to like Strider knives (until they actually try to do serious prying with them).  People from the second camp do not like Strider knives (they just don’t cut efficiently—you have to muscle your way through the item being cut).

The biggest problem with Strider knives is that their blade is too thick just behind the edge.  In other words, since Strider tries to advertise their indestructibility, they build their knives thick to compensate for abuse and brittle steel.  With blades this thick, they would be better off with a flat grind all the way back to the spine, and a different steel choice.  As it is, you can get the edge sharp, but try cutting rope, etc. with it.  Many other brands will do it better.

A good test of a knife’s cutting efficiency is to cut cheese with it.  If it slices clean, it has decent grind geometry.  If it “squishes” the cheese, it has poor grind geometry.

Just my thoughts.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:59:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:21:31 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
BrianNH how the hell did you do that?!?!  And I've busted a Cold steel SRK

Hank is correct I didn't do that. He is also correct about the origin of the pic.

www.physics.mun.ca/~sstamp/knives/reviews.html

Funny you should mention the SRK as mine is broken as well, snapped off just inside the handle. It is an older one and I've heard CS has used different vendors to make their Carbon V products. It is said they are now made by Camilus which is very good.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:26:52 AM EDT
[#23]
+1

I just got a Becker Companion. It is a badass knife for $65. Incredebly sharp out of the box.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:35:09 AM EDT
[#24]
If you want something that will go up in value, buy a Randall knife.
I bought a Strider and was very disappointed with it. Cuts for crap (too thick a blade) and the ergonomics sucks. Too much money too. It will be worth half of what you pay right after you buy it.

www.southernblades.com
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:45:25 AM EDT
[#25]
 Another option would be from www.tridentknives.com I had just purchased the "oberland-01".  There is a very nice review on a trident over at  www.militarymorons.com ]  I had also done a short review with some photos at  www.10-8forums.com Trident also uses CPM S30V.  Now on a side note my Trident is also very thick(.25").  Though it does not cut as well as some other knives it is still not too bad.  It has a very deep bevel/vee grind(.9") to make up for the thickness.  Due to the thickness and Tridents own forging process it has done fairly well in destruction testing.  According to Messer(german knife publication) magazine it took approx. 1.4 tons of latteral force to break.  They also offer a 20% discount for LE/Military.
  As soon as funds open up I will also be looking to get a Busse.  I have been looking into them for some time and am real impressed with them also.
  As far as Stiders, the ones that I have handled seem to have been well made.  Ergonomics had been a little less than ideal for me so I looked somewhere else.
  Sorry if this has turned into a hi-jack.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:00:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Brian, that is an awesome site! thank you, and the point made about the two groups of knife owners is quite true, but I belong to both, as I demonstrated in my prvious post, I used my Strider as a chisel, and so far it has served ME well, as an all around utility knife, howeverI still cannot wait to get my hands on a Busse
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:34:40 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
the guys (and gals) from busse and swamp rat are not apt to insult their customers for disagreeing with them.

I take it you read micks  "lick my sack loser" post on BF?? What a piece of work that guy is. It seems in every forum he has posted the discussion ends up turning into some high school drama cat fight  finished off with his grand "Im ouuta here for good and never coming back" departure.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:36:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:59:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Mick is really the only thing I dislike about Strider knives, because if you question his product at all, he has a hissy fit.  Beside that, I love my Strider knives and each one has an unconditional lifetime warrantee which comes standard with every knife, something you would be hard pressed to find in today's market.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:23:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:39:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:47:56 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
same warranty at busse and swamp rat.

Yes and no :)

Jerry has basically left it up to the customer to decide if the abuse given to the knife was intentional or not.  He will not fix or replace a knife if you admit that you intentionally broke it, he leaves it up to you to decide.

Swamp Rat knives, his wifes business AFAIK, has an even more clever guarantee, leaving it completely up to the customer as to the length of warranty and conditions of said warranty.

I've owned both and I've liked both.  I just wish Jerry would make a folder, then I would sell all my Striders and go Busse all the way :)
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:27:37 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
same warranty at busse and swamp rat.

Yes and no :)

Jerry has basically left it up to the customer to decide if the abuse given to the knife was intentional or not.  He will not fix or replace a knife if you admit that you intentionally broke it, he leaves it up to you to decide.

Swamp Rat knives, his wifes business AFAIK, has an even more clever guarantee, leaving it completely up to the customer as to the length of warranty and conditions of said warranty.

I've owned both and I've liked both.  I just wish Jerry would make a folder, then I would sell all my Striders and go Busse all the way :)

Luopo-

I think the Busse / Swamprat Guarantee is iron clad. I think their "you decide" approach is just another way of saying you'll be taken care of. In this day and age I know there are a lot of legalities and BS when a company says "guaranteed for life", especially when it comes to a knife. Busse also encourages hard use of their knives. These are two stand up companies that give a lot to their customers.

I'm not putting down the strider knives as I believe they are a decent knife for the money. I like the Strider folders a lot. For the money, you cant beat the strider buck collaboration folders either.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:20:45 PM EDT
[#35]
well, I bought my first STRIDER BT today and that thing is massive :) it is really a tool more than a show case piece. Comes with a nice tan eagle sheath.
I also have a Ratweiller on order :)
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top